Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > bed_head7's forum
Home

Old 11-02-2006, 04:29   #1
bed_head7

Default bed_head7's alternative trivia competition #1

I hope these are okay.

I think I'll start off with an easy one, since the next couple might be kind of hard. At elast I think it is easy. After the capture of Istanbul by the Ottomans, which of course marked the end of the Byzantine empire, the Ottomans became something of a menace to Europe, advancing well into what is European domain, before eventually being repelled by a coalition of European nations. The battle over what city marked the point of farthest advance by the Ottomans, and in what year did this turning of the tide occur? (within a decade will get full credit) [One point total]

We all know Tokugawa was the first Shogun, but the majority of the work done in uniting the country was done by two other men, the first of which was the Daimyo of Owari and the second of which was a general of that Daimyo (Tokugawa was also a general of that Daimyo). After the Daimyo's death, the fight for power came down to two of his generals, neither of which were Tokugawa. Tokugawa threw his support to one of them, and together they brought Japan under their control. This second uniter died fifteen years later, leaving the path clear for the ambitious Tokugawa to take the reins and become the first true Shogun. Name the Daimyo, name the general who finished the process of unification, and for a bonus point, name the other general who fought for control after the Daimyo's death. (I realize the wording is not perfect, but it is sort of hard to ask a question with all of these unknowns.) [Three points total]

What man won the Nobel Prize in 1908 for his discovery that in radioactive atoms, spontaneous disentegration occurred, and that the rate of decay goes as exp(-t)? This man is probably most famous for an experiment he conducted known as the "gold foil experiment," the conclusion of which prompted him to say "It was almost as incredible as if you fired a fifteen-inch shell at a piece of tissue paper and it came back and hit you". To what was this man referring? [Two points total]

I feel like I need a pop culture one, but this one has a bit of an agenda behind it, and is probably highly unfair to our European participants. Which show, currently on television, has featured or currently features three ex-cast members of Happy Days? [One point]

One we should all know pretty easily now. Name the seven wonders of the ancient world. [One point total, no partial points awarded]

Who is the patron saint of the internet? [One point total]

And to continue with the Olympics theme that barbu has begun, I'll ask a question that I only just learned the answer to while perusing the link in barbu's posting of the answers, so you may all know this as well. Who holds the record for most medals won in the Olympics? [One point]

bed_head7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 15:40   #2
romeothemonk
King

hmm, damn.
There are some doozies in here.
Old 11-02-2006, 19:05   #3
barbu1977
Emperor

Sent, I'm I the only one finding theese hard?
Old 11-02-2006, 20:30   #4
Tubby Rower

Just give me a 0. I won't even send in my answers because I feel as though you may pull something by laughing at them
Old 11-02-2006, 21:51   #5
bed_head7

Sorry about that. I did struggle a lot with difficulty of the questions, while also trying to make them distinct from barbu's questions. And, admittedly, I did not really expect anyone to get more than two on the second question, and the second point there is a really tough one as well.
Old 11-02-2006, 22:06   #6
Rik Meleet

I took my chances.
Old 11-02-2006, 22:08   #7
bed_head7

I went back and checked the civilopedia, and apparently it does not actually mention who started the work that Tokugawa finished, so I guess was remembering incorrectly there. I expect that to make it an easier first point in that question. Some of the other questions are obscure, somewhat by accident. I was having trouble not making them entirely history/science related, so I remembered back to random things my roommate and I have mentioned. He spends even more time online reading about random stuff, which he often times shares with me, hence the patron saint of the internet question and the difficult second and third point in the Sengoku period question.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:30   #8
sz_matyas

Wow, that was an embarrassing 1. Guess I really need to study my worthless trivia
Old 12-02-2006, 06:52   #9
bed_head7

Let me apologize again for the difficulty. I think I made the mistake of picking topics about which I was at some time or another particularly interested in, and picking more obscure facts about them to ask. My interest in them very memorable in my mind, thus easy, when obviously that was not the case. I certainly did not mean to ask questions which would make the majority of you feel like these were unanswerable. Hopefully my next attempt does not go too far in the other direction, because I would not want everyone to get them all right either
Old 12-02-2006, 21:34   #10
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

That is a very tough trivia. Also, some questions are obscure like about medals in Olympic games (in a single Olympics? Or through the whole history? Most gold or every medal counts? Not that I know anything about it for sure... ) or about Sengoku period in Japan where really multiple people were involved. Also, I have absolutley no idea about Happy Days and hence am completely clueless about the show question (I do watch TV sometimes, apparently just not enough). Anyhow, some answers sent, hopefully I got one or two right.