Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Darkness' House of Horrors
Home

Old 28-02-2005, 20:10   #1
Darkness

Default Banzai vs Darkness -> FINISHED

So, my second PBEM…
Again demigod level, with 6 AI and Banzai as the opposition.
Banzai will rule the evil Russians, while I will guide the benevolent Greeks.

First off: A big thank you to the mapmaker, Kemal, who cooked up this map very quickly (and he even gave me a nice start too)…

Banzai has an expansionist civ, so he’ll likely be the techleader in the AA, but I expect my commercial trait to catch-up with him later on, and eventually overtake him, off course!

Let’s just hope Banzai’s GH popping doesn’t give him any major breaks (settler in 3900 BC, or something like that), ‘cause then I am confident I’ll be able to catch him later on.
After opening the save, a quick look around tells me there are two other commercial tribes in the game, Korea and the Indians. Full speed to writing it is, especially since I’m not agricultural and one cattle is therefore not enough for a despotic settler factory, so I will want republic ASAP!

The start:

85.19*KB
Old 11-03-2005, 08:44   #2
Darkness

Turn 7:

Banzai's Russians have popped a settler recently! He just jumped ahead in score by around 10 points.
I only had time to build a warrior so far...
Old 11-03-2005, 09:36   #3
Kemal

, tough challenge this will be then, I was afraid that this might happen with the chances of getting a city/settler at demigod being so high for expansionistic civs.

Still, nothing is lost of course, maybe it can be an incentive to play even more focused to try and catch up... at least you're now in the underdog position and the pressure is on Banzai to capitalize on his advantage.

Good luck!

Old 11-03-2005, 10:01   #4
Kingreno

OTOH the expansionist trait is over for him soon, whilst you have Commercial to assist you all the way. I do not know the map but in many cases the extra setler does not mean automatic victory.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:21   #5
Darkness

I know guys! And I have definately not given up! I'll fight back.
He's got the advantage now, but I'll have my first settler out in 7 turns, so I'll have some more possibilities then. I'm gonna play catch-up.
Old 26-03-2005, 12:01   #6
Darkness

Turn 54

This game is going very fast!

Good news: I got writing first (turn 41) and I got 5 techs and around 200 gold for it, which I used to establish some embassies

A couple of turns later I met one of Banzai's scouts and I had a nice, friendly chat with him.

Even better news: I got Philosophy first too! I picked CoL and have now started my run at Republic.

I also was able to establish an embassy in Banzai's capital:

123.33*KB

Banzai still leads in score, due to the settler he got on turn 8, but the difference is now stable at around 50 points.
He is expansionst, but I'm the tech leader...
I think I'll be able to secure at least 3, maybe 4 luxuries and horses and iron, just by peacefull expansion and after that the catch-up game will begin...

EDIT: Why is the picture not working???
EDIT2: Thanks Kemal! It's working now.
Old 26-03-2005, 12:05   #7
Kemal

Strange... maybe the "'" could be the cause, in the jpg's name?
Old 08-04-2005, 20:27   #8
Darkness

Turn 88:

Restless barbs are painfull....
Turn 80 (or so) saw at least three civs enter the MA (and Banzai was among those). Banzai gifted or traded Korea and Babylon into the MA for their free techs, but they all got monotheism....
The barbarians were very annoying! At least 60 horsemen were spotted, which killed 3 warriors and a hoplite and they also destroyed some production and stole around 80 gold....

Turn 84 I got Republic (at that point I was lagging currency, construction and polytheism) and immediately revolted, drawing 4 turns of anarchy.

Turn 87 I traded Republic to Japan for the three missing techs and some gold. My free tech was Feudalism!
I traded Republic to Korea for Monotheism plus some gold...
Babylon also got republic (for monarchy and gold)

Turn 88 saw the rise of the Greek Republic:

204.14KB

I also sold monarchy to India this turn (for Literaturem 138 gold and 17 gpt). Banzai had obtained republic at this point, but that's OK, as I still got feudalism over him!
But he hasn't revolted yet....

161.46KB

Now I'll be going for Chivalry, as I am building some barracks and will build some horseman soon, because my military is weak vs. all.... Maybe there'll be a small war in the near future. I kind of like the Incan lands (Cuzco has the Pyramids).

Finally, the histograph:

142.35KB
Old 27-04-2005, 19:27   #9
Darkness

Turn 122:

Things started out louzy when I opened turn 122....

49.2KB

Then the game crashed, which made my mood even worse...

So I loaded it again. This time it was only half bad. Syracuse still flipped, but at least the game didn't crash....

Last turn I discovered chivalry (which I researched slowly, to both get some cash and get the chance to build some horseman for upgrades). I also hooked up Iron last turn. So I upgraded 16 (of the 20-something I had at this point) horseman.

So now things are about to get interesting!

The target is the Inca's. They have wines and gems, and Cuzco holds both the Pyramids (interesting ) and the Temple of Artemis (less interesting). Unfortunately they also have Iron and Horses.

In turn 122 I attacked:
The first signs were good!

203.18KB

So was the second sign...

110.38KB

And no complaints about attack no.3 either.

96.74KB

My army is strong vs the Inca. Actually, my army is strong vs most civs in the game. Only Babylon (average) and Korea (weak) are the exceptions. The best part of this is, off course, that the Koreans are Banzai's southern neighbours....

80.29KB

And finally, in honour of our mapmaker, the demographics:

46.15KB
Old 27-04-2005, 19:32   #10
Kemal

, that last screen sure is interesting.. any idea who could be no 1 and 2 in mfg goods? Are some AIs in GA, perhaps?