Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > grs' forum
Home

Old 08-01-2005, 00:17   #1
grs
The Nameless One

Default grs vs. akots - finished

This is the setup. I guess this will be a rather warlike intense game. Akots wanted us to have comparable civs and somehow I ended with the Maya while he took Sumeria.

Hmm...the Maya...they have the newbie UU of the ages (it looks cooler with its enslave ability than it is). What I really like is their cities all named after food, but more of that later.

Kingreno made the map and named me correct He again gave me a headace with the start he made for me.

33.17*KB

I could simply could not resist the gold hill, so I moved the settler to the gold hill and started to road the start tile, next will be cow, then wines then back to the city. I really feared I may trash the game here, but viola.

42.07*KB

What I plan to do next:

Research: warrior code, the wheel and (if horses are close) horseback riding. I do not need spears and I plan on skipping swords and favor a mixture of horsemen and javelins.

Expand: maybe more than seems save on a tiny map with only a human enemy, but we will see.
Old 08-01-2005, 00:25   #2
Socrates
Emperor

Here I am again with... my Wonderful Factory !! It seems you can set up a factory in your capital that will spawn 1 warrior and 1 settler every 4 turns. You have to mine the cow, the wheat, a few bonus grasslands, and keep a forest unchopped. I bet you're glad to have moved on the gold hill, with that wheat in range now. Getting a better start than that is difficult : wonderful factory + gold in city tile, being agricultural and industrious (more population quickly, and more tile improvements quickly, all for the factory). Good luck, akots is a tough opponent ; I couldn't resist his more solid yet more adventurous skills in our game (it was a 1v1 with no AI as well).
Old 09-01-2005, 20:29   #3
grs
The Nameless One

We did a quick session of 19 turns and I now have the 3000BC save at my hands. I spent quite some time to analyse akots moves. I am quite sure he now has 2 reg. enkidu warriors and a partly pop-rushed barracks. He does not have a second city and unless I am completely mistaken not even a settler. If I calculate correct he could complete a settler next turn, or he might do a granary even.

This is my empire

77.52KB

I suspect his to be quite similar from the start, but he has irrigated the cow and settled on spot.

Since he has preferred an early barracks over a granary, I may have coming him at me soon and that will get me into problems. Not that I fear his enkidus on attack, but they will be a big problem on a pillaging mission.

I have researched warrior code and the wheel - no SGL. Horses are near, so I will do horseback next. I realised - a bit late I admit - that javelins are 30 shields. I know it was stupid to take them without looking at them again first, but how do they compare to bowmen? Enslave is definetely worse than defensive bombard - I'd say - so I did not even think they could cost something else but 20 shields.

Old 10-01-2005, 20:59   #4
grs
The Nameless One

We did another 16 turns last night and it's now 2270BC. Akots completed a granary in 2850BC and still had no settler, so he was up to make his capital a settler factory. I switched mine too granary too. I had a momentum of growth for some turns then in 2430BC an enkidu showed.

Trail of the enkidu.

85.04*KB

He could have really troubled me. If he went straight for my lands, he could have pillaged me heavily - or would I have to attack him with a reg. warrior -> suicide. Moving the warrior to the mountain immediately may have given him the message, that I have more units near ?!? - I do not know. Fact is he traveled around my lands and my warrior was looking down at him from the mountains.

In 2510BC he still had no more than the 2 enkidus he started with and from his settler output he has not built anything but settlers in his capital (unless he does enkidu/settler in 4 - which is possible). Since he has 3 towns now, it could well be he has a 3rd now, but I doubt it. With my vet. javelins we are everage now and military service is only telling me he has 2 at least.

I am now considering the option of doing a quick 3 javelins and tease him a bit too. Chicken can do them easily in 3 now.

Edit: thinking again about the above it seems very probable he is doing enkidu/settler in 3 and since they are only 10 shields...

Old 10-01-2005, 21:29   #5
grahamiam
Emperor

EW's are nice, cheap spearman, but they don't upgrade to swords, they upgrade to pikes. if he wants swords, he will have to build them from scratch. you, on the other hand, can pump vet warriors + settlers, then upgrade them when IW comes in and iron is hooked up. just a thought...

oh, and i agree, JT's are not very useful. even with barbs on, they don't produce enough slaves to justify the 30 shields they need. oh well, live and learn

edit: if your feeling really bold, you could even attack his EW with a warrior (if you have excess) to trip his GA while he only has 2 or 3 towns. that might screw him up as well.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:34   #6
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Hehe. That would have been funny. Waste his golden age. If you can risk doing it...

Damn you all for making food related cities. Makes me hungry.

At least your traits are better than your uu. On the other hand, if the UU was better, people would complain that it unbalances the game...
Old 11-01-2005, 14:17   #7
grs
The Nameless One

I guess I will at least follow his enkidu a bit with my warrior. He will not attack himself and I doubt I can corner him soon, but I may still give him something to think of.
Old 11-01-2005, 14:42   #8
Kingreno

Don't you want to give him a very early GA? It will come some time soon anyway and IMHO it is best to do it while he has a very limited number of cities.
Old 11-01-2005, 16:27   #9
grs
The Nameless One

As I said I doubt I can corner him that soon, so he can evade my warrior for some time. I moved it next to his enkidu for now, but following him all over the map, if he runs away seems pointless.
Old 16-01-2005, 12:33   #10
grs
The Nameless One

I am still chasing his Enkidu around. I now have a city on the horses, which will be connected in 3 turns. I will be able to produce a horse every 2 turns in Chicken. I decided to stick with javelins and horses while he probably will build swords (just a guess though).

After researching mathematics, I had a look on what techs he has (red), he does not have (green) and he probably has or is researching (?). I am uncertain about the horses and wheel path. I very probably got them first and since he has writing I am quite sure he went philo and - in the long run - republic.

I will go the lower path to monarchy, getting all these techs first; important imo, since SGL are on. I may end with the weaker government, but depending on how the war will go (and who declares) monarchy might not be that bad.

90.26KB