Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Markstar's lair
Home

Old 22-02-2004, 14:12   #1
Markstar
King

Default ERIKK vs. Markstar - Spoiler

Yet another game in PTW. Even though Conquests is an option now, I just don't feel ready yet.

This is how things look like at 3100BC:

169*KB

I just met the Celts, they have The Wheel and Warrior Code, while I don't have anything to offer. And since I Carthage has Masonry and Alphabet, but no Ceremonial Burrial, my chances of being able to trade seem pretty slim, since they won't give me anything for CB, of course.
Finished building my granary this turn, so the settling shall soon begin. I'm still not really sure where my cities should go. Killler talked about RCP. I've never used it and don't really know if I'm ready for it (as I do believe that a better city placement can make up for a lot), but I think this would be the right time to do it.

Here a close-up of my starting area:

101.4*KB

As you can see there is not much bonus stuff around. My first cities will be near the ivory and the wines, then I think I'll try and go for the plains next to the flood plain and the cattle. Other than that I'm not sure yet. Hopefully I'll survive that long.
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2004, 15:14   #2
Markstar
King

After my first 3 or 4 huts were deserted, I already gave up hope. The last two were better, giving me Masonry and then even a free city. Too bad it's in the devil's layer. Chances are I'll lose it sooner or later.

87.89KB

2270BC: Developed 'The Wheel' and built my 2nd settler in Salamanca. I'll use it to secure the wine, after I'll have to see how things go.

Here is the current map and some city locations that I'm thinking about. They are not really in the RCP spirit, but I'm not sure about that whole thing.
Lt. Killer says a must do (if I understood him correctly) - are there any other opinions out there? (it was 1.5 for straight directions, and 1 for moves like NE, SW, etc, right?)

129.21KB

BTW, I also finished a second granary in Niagra Falls. Due to the lack of nice bonus resources (like cows on grassland), I thought it was a good idea to further speed up my expansion.
Old 24-02-2004, 15:46   #3
Skyfish

Its already too late for RCP. You have one city at distance 2 (much too close) and one city at distance 4.
And spot 9 on you dot map is at distance 3

You should really settler-abandon that free city you got, and bring the settler back...forget that temple [crazyeyes]
Old 24-02-2004, 15:46   #4
Skyfish

Old 24-02-2004, 16:13   #5
Markstar
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Skyfish

You should really settler-abandon that free city you got, and bring the settler back...forget that temple [crazyeyes]
Settler-abandon That works? Won't the city simply get destroyed?
Old 24-02-2004, 18:30   #6
Socrates
Emperor

I want to add my 2 cents here.

First I think your first 2 cities are too close to each other. I can see that they can both use at least 12 tiles without overlapping if no other city interferes, and it seems this is a game where you'll hardly go through the Middle Ages. But Niagara Falls is on a rather poor location, and it doesn't have a real choice of good tiles to use. If Salamanca was your starting tile, I would definitely have gone for those 2 cattle plains with a coastal position. Or if I hadn't seen it immediately, I would have made it a high priority.

About that free city... When I was young (not far from now !! ), I was considering such cities a gift from the gods. But now I understand such locations are really useless... well there is a nice way to make good use of it : if you don't think you can bring the settler back home, then why not pumping some warriors or archers out of it, just to do some funny damage to the Celts ? The city is doomed anyway, but it could be useful for a little while.
Old 24-02-2004, 18:44   #7
Markstar
King

OMG!!! I just realized what settler-abandon means. I tried it out in a test game, all you need is a size 2 city!!!
How did I never think of that, especially since it's a well-known thing in the earlier Civs!!!

Just to think what this might have done to my HOFs!!!

And to make matters worse, I found out AFTER I sent Erikk the new turn and of course I had no clue what Skyfish was talking about, so I did do the temple-rush thing.

But I think I'll abandon the city anyways asap. There are far better locations which I might even be able to protect...

Oh, in case you're wondering what I'm doing at home right now...
Old 24-02-2004, 19:16   #8
Markstar
King

Not all is lost, seems I got a little ahead of me. Turns out I had not yet rushed the temple, so I can do the abandon-thing right away. ...and I was sure I rushed it, especially since I had just played that turn...

Anyways, I'm thinking about building a city on top of the horses. That should keep the RCP in order, right? From what I can tell I have cities at 2, 4 and 6 'RCP-points' away from my capital. That shouldn't be too bad.

@kryszcztov: The 2 cattle are tempting, but there is no river so I'm not so sure it's really such a 'must-have' spot. In my opinion there are other spots with a higher priority.
Old 24-02-2004, 19:30   #9
anarres
anarchist butcher

The best way to take advantage of RCP is with only 2 rings. If you have 4 in the inner ring then all the inner ring cities will have city rank 1, and all the outer ring cities will have rank 5.

With 3 rings you will have a much reduced version of RCP, I seriously advice against it if you are aiming for RCP.
Old 24-02-2004, 22:49   #10
Markstar
King

Grrr, I don't really trust this whole RCP thing.

I don't really know what to do. I think I'll forget about RCP and just put the cities all over the place. I have 'two and a half' coasts pretty close next to me, so there practically is no good two-ring strategy and if there is, I don't think I'm experienced enough in RCP to get it right. I might as well do it as I've always done and see how it turns out.