Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Tubby Rower's Slacker Kingdom
Home

Old 11-07-2006, 11:52   #21
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

1 word: Jantje Smit
That's two words... And downright horrible ones at that too...
Old 11-07-2006, 12:50   #22
Socrates
Emperor

I'd favour Koinê, the language of the Ancient Greeks after Alexander.
Old 11-07-2006, 13:05   #23
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Paalikles

Chinese.

Reason: 1.3 billion people. Significant economic growth. Will probably become one of the leading economies in the world
With that argument you can just as well learn indian.
Old 11-07-2006, 14:02   #24
Tubby Rower

or English....

I'm looking into self-teach German lessons. RosettaStone.com costs ~ $195 for the 1st lesson. That's a bit expensive for my taste, but I might be able to get my boss to pay for it since we deal with Germans on occassion.
Old 11-07-2006, 14:24   #25
Shabbaman
Administrator

That seems very expensive. I looked around, and at the most renowned "distant learning" (or whatever it's in english) you can do a basic course german for 40 euros a month, with an average duration of the course of 8 months. It's with an interactive computer program plus personal contact with a tutor. There's no reason why a course in the US has to be more expensive. The more obscure languages are a bit more expensive (46,50 a month), but since in the US the size of the country should make it cheaper. Well, the dollar is pretty weak obviously...

BTW, dutch for foreigners is 48 euros a month. Perhaps it's cheaper to learn german in Germany. Through the internet of course.
Old 11-07-2006, 14:35   #26
Tubby Rower

Rosetta Stone is a good program from what I've gathered in my research. I can probably get a basic book and audio CD's for ~ $50 and still get a good program. Rosetta Stone offers internet instruction for $50 per month. The $195 is for the stand-alone version and it has an unconditional 6-month money back gaurantee. So in theory I could learn German in less than 6 months and return it because I'm an idiot, but I wouldn't do that.

I'm still looking and the only way I would get Rosetta Stone is if the company pays for it. But it is the top of the line. I did an online demo and picked up a few words. I've forgotten them already so I prolly have the language retention of Darkness's fish
Old 11-07-2006, 15:22   #27
Socrates
Emperor

Ich bin ein Berliner.

Well, Zidane could have said this, if it hadn't been for that stupid incident.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:28   #28
admiral kutzov

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tubby Rower

I have come to the conclusion that I want to be multilingual. Right now I can speak English and Redneck. I'm fluent in both but I normally speak Redneck.

So I'm looking to move beyond these two languages as great and confusing as they are to learn to understand another language. I'm opposed to learning Spanish as that will shoved down my throat eventually and I'm rebelling. (See Dora the Explorer and Deigo the Animal Rescuer) I'm also opposed to learning French as my company is French owned and if my employeer ever knew that I spoke French I could be transported across the pond dislocating me from my family.

So with those two out of the window, i've decided to return to college

37.34KB
Old 09-08-2006, 13:22   #29
Tubby Rower

ahhh.. dorm life