Civ Duel Zone

Civ Duel Zone (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tubby Rower's Slacker Kingdom (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   New Language for Tubby (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3610)

Tubby Rower 10-07-2006 19:35

New Language for Tubby

I have come to the conclusion that I want to be multilingual. Right now I can speak English and Redneck. I'm fluent in both but I normally speak English.

So I'm looking to move beyond these two languages as great and confusing as they are to learn to understand another language. I'm opposed to learning Spanish as that will shoved down my throat eventually and I'm rebelling. (See Dora the Explorer and Deigo the Animal Rescuer) I'm also opposed to learning French as my company is French owned and if my employeer ever knew that I spoke French I could be transported across the pond dislocating me from my family.

So with those two out of the window, what's the best language to learn? I was thinking Dutch or German. The Queen's English would be fun to learn but I don't want to have to think that fish and chips is a delicacy.

Darkness 10-07-2006 20:02

German.
Dutch is very difficult to learn for a foreigner, due to, among other things, the incredibly high amount of exceptions in verb tenses.
Also, a lot more people speak German, so it might actually be more useful to learn German...

Kingreno 10-07-2006 20:03

German.

- Dutch is spoken by few that don't speak at least English.
- Dutch people prefer talking English to English people as opposed to Germans who actually encourage others to try to speak German. It would be a waste to learn Ducth and come to Amsterdam to find out no-one wants to speak Dutch to you.
- German is SO much easier, and 10 times more logical!
- Dutch is spoken by 25 Million people or so. German by what? 200 Million? Excluding second languages.
- Swearing is better in German.

Mijn twee centen

(Mein zwei Grosschen(is it, Hilfe bitte!))

(My two cents)

Rik Meleet 10-07-2006 20:04

Gareed.
What Darkness said + you need a lot more intelligence for Dutch than for German. ;)

Try pronouncing "schuurdeur" (Barn door) and "zeeeendeei" (sea duck egg).

Tubby Rower 10-07-2006 20:09

Why in the world would I want to talk to someone about their sea duck eggs in their barn door? I remember Rik trying to teach me a little on MSN and I never got it. He kept telling me that I was pronouncing it wrong.

I guess it makes sense that German is very logical. The whole German engineering and all. Ok so German it is... now I have to go buy a book. I wonder if I could get a German for Dummies off of eBay. Then you guys can tell me all of the good German swearing. Should I take my beer out of the fridge to get in the mood?

Kingreno 10-07-2006 20:38

Buy some Rammstein Music.

Shabbaman 10-07-2006 21:03

Bück dich, befehl ich dir!

Hehe.

The best way to learn a language is probably to watch movies in that language. So, download some german movies. Any suggestions?

Whomp 10-07-2006 21:07

Why not Italian? Heck, they won the World's Cup.

Then you could say romantic things to your wife like "Ciao, Bella, sembrate meravigliosi" plus you get to use your hands a lot when you talk.

Robboo 10-07-2006 21:29

I think Tubby is done saying Romantic things to his wife for a while. 2 kids will do that.

Tubby Rower 10-07-2006 22:03

ain't that the truth