Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 22-09-2006, 02:07   #1
Socrates
Emperor

Default Linux Ubuntu

9.1KB

Hehe, I installed Ubuntu on my PC tonight, so as to run C programs and explore the free world a bit. Dual boot : which will be kicked first ? Windows can thank Civ4, I think...

Anyone using a Linux software regularly ?
Old 22-09-2006, 05:59   #2
bed_head7

Yeah, I use Linux and Unix fairly regularly now, as all of the computers in the astonomy lab are one or the other. I am thinking of making my computer capable booting in either Windows or Linux myself.
bed_head7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 10:50   #3
Samson
Warlord

I use linux quite a lot at work, but I have to use windows for most of my development. It really irritates me. If they released Civ for linux I would never use windows at home, but I guess it is an evil I shall just have to live with.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2006, 11:43   #4
socralynnek

I also use both (have kubuntu on my machine besides Windows)
Old 22-09-2006, 13:27   #5
Socrates
Emperor

Yeah, basically, if you like the applications on Linux (OpenOffice, etc...), the only real bugger is that games like Civ need Windows (or Mac). I've read Padma's blog page where he tells about installing a virtual Windows on your Linux so as to run games, but I guess games will run slower than usual that way, and slower than what I get on my PC is a definitive no-no !! But it seems there are some games directly running on Linux. If Firaxis were cool enough, they would take the tons of dollars they got (and will get) from shipping the overpriced XP that is Warlords (compared to development cost), and put some of it into Linux Civ. With the ability to get it for free if you've already bought the Windows version of course.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:22   #6
Socrates
Emperor

Let's keep Beam's thread for Civ.

Making some experiments with Ubuntu these days, so as to see if I can easily do everything I could do in WinXP there. So far I'm rather impressed.

I plugged my camera to the USB port, and it directly asked me if I wanted to copy the photos I had to some directory on the PC. Clicked OK. Done. Absolutely nothing to do apart from clicking Yes.

Multimedia is a tricky part, because Ubuntu doesn't ship with copyrighted material or format (think : mp3 and a ton of other stuff). Careful reading the French website gives good answers, and I was able to run some formats after installing a few packages. Will probably use EasyUbuntu next time (a special suite whose purpose is to prepare the PC to common use (think : mp3 and a ton... ), but which is not supported by the Ubuntu team).

I'll probably try Civ4 tomorrow... The big stuff. After that, it'll be a matter of touching all I can in order to do everything and get ready for... the day when I completely erase my HD (Windows AND Ubuntu), before installing Ubuntu only. I hope to do that in the upcoming weeks/months, when/if I move to my new appartment with a new Internet connexion (the problem is finding the appartment ).

Keep you posted.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:11   #7
socralynnek

Oh yeah, never tried to run Civ4, tell me if and how it works. I guess you need a very strong machine to run it smoothly.