Civ Duel Zone

Civ Duel Zone (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/index.php)
-   SGOTM 6 (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   SGOTM6 - Screenshots and Turnlogs (http://www.civduelzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2292)

Melifluous 10-02-2005 19:51

3 and 5?

wow

I thought it was a 4-6 SF. You're a better MMaster than me :D

I didnt get to settle any cities [cry]

Melifluous

col 10-02-2005 20:22

Well we should have 2 cities every turn for a while so you'll get a chance for Broad Acres.

I probably screwed up the MM somewhere. I cant be arsed adjusting tiles between cities every turn like Kemal and co.

akots 10-02-2005 22:06

Since the bonus grass has been mined, it is OK for settler to be produced from size 3 to size 5, no need for 4-6 factory apparently since 3-5 is functional. It all looks splendid.

@Col: [goodjob]

Any progress on the diplo front? Tehcs, or contacts or workers bought? Or we are stuck with Mongols, China, and Japan on a continent? May be go for a curragh then seeking for new freinds in the open seas?

However, there is also a single question of who will play next. Apparently, since Anarres cannot hammer through the ISP support to fix his access it comes to Killer.

Killer: Are you able to play?
Anarres: Can you play at home and post from work?

col 10-02-2005 22:22

No new contacts. Nothing available to buy.
I mined the grass.
I have a curragh heading southeast.

anarres 11-02-2005 11:54

There is no internet yet, but my appointment is for now until midday so I will know soon if I have interent this weekend. :)

Melifluous 11-02-2005 17:08

OK, so who's taking this?

We are about 1 hr away from Mad-Baxs strict 24hr to post a got it deadline.

Killer or anarres please respond!

Otherwise I suppose KR is going to have to have a second set of turns.

Melifluous

col 11-02-2005 17:34

Anarres has posted to say he has internet access again.

:bump

anarres 11-02-2005 18:20

I posted a got it.

anarres 13-02-2005 16:51

Shit. The save can't be downloaded! The link to the save files are all dead....

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/submit/s...ssion_list.php

col 13-02-2005 16:57

Here's the save then

Download Attachment: [img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] CDZ_SG006_BC1750_01.SAV
170.1KBe's

anarres 13-02-2005 17:10

Brilliant! thanks. :)

col 13-02-2005 18:31

Upload and download page is now working ok too.

anarres 13-02-2005 21:14

Preturn (1750BC): tut tut, there are 2 cities that should be one 4 turn growth and instead have been allowed to be at 4 and 3 fpt. :(

col, it takes only 2 minutes each turn at this stage to mm the cities so they get enough food. Not mm'ing shields is one thing, but not mm'ing food on our 5 food-per-turn cities is really bad for our overall growth and power, especially so very early in the game...

Turn lux down from 10% to 0%. I can't help but feel we've missed a turn or two on writing as well (Sci was at 80% when lux was at 10%, so 10% wasted).

Maybe I'm expecting too much, but it really doesn't take long and it could mean missing Philosophy and a free tech.

On checking diplo Japan, Mongols and Carthage all have Writing, and China is lacking it and has cash and techs to spare. With 3 turns left on Writing we should have checked diplo for it to buy every turn...

Buy Writing from Carthage for 13 gold and 4 gpt.
Sell Writing to China for Iron Working and 30 gold. I think it's best to get Iron Working now and avoid roading any Iron we see. If we wait too long before getting IW we may find we've founded a city on an Iron tile and be stuck without warriors.

Excellent - we have 1 Iron source on our border, and on a mountain so not in the way.

At 100% Science (and after some mm), Philosophy is now in 10 turns. We will see if I can speed it up a little...

Turn 1 (1725BC): Colopolis build warrior -> curragh.

Turn 2 (1700BC): Paramaribo builds settler -> settler.

Found my first city, Bastard. I moved the settler 1 tile from where col left it because I can get another river city in like this (and also free up a BG for one of our 5 fpt cities).

I've managed to get Phil down to 7 turns now. We're -5 gpt and have 34 in the bank.

Turn 3 (1675BC): Eindhoven bilds worker -> worker. Colville builds warrior -> barracks.

Turn 4 (1650BC): Philosophy is now down to 4 turns, I've set 3 scientists in cities where it will gain at least 2 beakers per turn, and we are now getting 43 beakers per turn!

AI: Vikings complete the Colossus.

Turn 5 (1625BC): It's problaby worth mentioning I've been roading river tiles for the rush to Philosophy.

Turn 6 (1600BC): Colopolis builds curragh -> warrior.

Found my second city, Arse.

AI: We get booted from Chinas territory, but we got 2 warriors on mountains and good visibility now over their lands.

Turn 7 (1575BC): Paramaribo builds settler -> settler. Colopolis builds curragh -> warrior. Philosophy next turn.

Turn 8 (1550BC): Go to the "big picture" screen before choosing the next tech and check diplo.

Sell Philosophy to Japan for 498 gold. I could buy techs first, but I can get full value for Philosophy here (we leave Japan with 30 gold).
Give Philosophy and 88 gold to Carthage for Mysticism and Warrior Code.
Sell Mysticism (+1 gold) to China for Masonry.
Buy the Wheel for 223 gold from the Mongols (don't want to sell them Phil yet in case they have HBR).
They do have HBR but I can't get much of our cash back if I buy it, so I give the Mongols Phil for 226 gold.

The only tech we are down now is Horseback Riding, and they all have it so there is no urgent need to buy it.

I set our tech to Map Making but we have missed the Philosophy gambit. I can't but help think this is our own fault and we could have avoided it. [cry]

I check the map and we are missing horses. The nearest one I can see is in Chinese territory, not exactly the bit nearest us either.

Set science to Maths@max (10 turns).

Turn 9 (1525BC): Carthage has Maths now.

AI: China declares war on us! They attack Bastard with an Archer and lose.

Turn 10 (1500BC): I don't move anything apart from 1 warrior, because we are at war now and need to consider our next move carefully.

Suggestions for this war:

Build barracks then warriors in Colleville and Colopolis.
Orenburg just finished barracks and can go straight to warrior production.
Bartard and Arse can both just build warriors with no barracks (not enough shields per turn).
Para and Eindhoven can build workers (Para the odd settler, but mostly workers).
All new cities to build just warriors.

Set science to 0% and save cash for upgrades to Gallic Swords.

anarres 13-02-2005 21:22

I can't upload at CFC because it says my name is not recognised.

Here it is:

Download Attachment: [img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] CDZ_SG006_BC1500.zip
172.74KB

Kingreno 13-02-2005 21:22

[eek] This is not looking good at all...any pics taken?

anarres 13-02-2005 21:36

no, sorry. [blush]

akots 13-02-2005 21:54

I'll try to upload the save then.

akots 13-02-2005 21:55

Did you play the edited version with curragh movement 2?

The links were broken because m-b asked AlanH to edit the saves on the server. Don't you read the maintenance thread?

akots 13-02-2005 21:58

@Killer: Please don' play until we make sure the saves are patched.

akots 13-02-2005 22:05

@Anarres: It might be your inability to download the save is due to two possibilities: first one, your name has been mistyped by m-b. Second, the checksum of the file failed since you were supposed to have the edited save submitted wheres it might be you played unedited one. Please pm AlanH at CFC to ask about it and wait for his reply.

col 13-02-2005 22:22

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by anarres

Preturn (1750BC): tut tut, there are 2 cities that should be one 4 turn growth and instead have been allowed to be at 4 and 3 fpt. :(

col, it takes only 2 minutes each turn at this stage to mm the cities so they get enough food. Not mm'ing shields is one thing, but not mm'ing food on our 5 food-per-turn cities is really bad for our overall growth and power, especially so very early in the game...
Mea Culpa. One of the cities I think had just grown and a worker needed moving - an oversight.

I checked trades every turn ntil the last one and none were available.

I have a feeling I'm gonne get bollocked a lot :(

akots 13-02-2005 22:22

For whatever reason anarres has become annares in the upload server. Apparently neither mad-bax nor AlanH are the big fans of the Lady Ursula.

akots 13-02-2005 22:28

The save has been uploaded by impersonating myself as annares successfully. ;)

Now lets wait for AlanH to fix it. Please, make sure this is not repeated in the future.

The only legitimate way to acquire the save is to download it from the SGOTM page. We can be disqualified by playing the save acquired in an old-fashioned way. If the download link is broken, please do not attempt to get the save from preceding player by alternative means. Please then wait for the link to be restored or pm m-b or AlanH at CFC.

akots 14-02-2005 03:49

@Killer: You are UP. The save has been patched by AlanH. To get it, please download from the SGOTM page but by no means use the save which has been posted by Anarres.

Good luck!

Lt. Killer M 14-02-2005 09:51

gargh, why is it that I have already lost all motivation? Maybe all that stuff with wrong saves and sudden special changes and lots and lots of verbuous threads by the admin that one needs to read inc ase some absurd rule change pops up....

bleh.

now if I knew where the freking CORRECT svae now is and how to frekingly correctly DL it I might be tempted to post a freakin' got-it.

(can you tell my anger about all the long-past GOTM BS with funny edits that gave crashes is coming up AGAIN?)

col 14-02-2005 10:54

http://gotm.civfanatics.net/submit/s...ssion_list.php

I'm just ignoring all that stuff. I really dont give a toss about it.
Click on the underlined CDZ 1500bc bit

Lt. Killer M 14-02-2005 11:21

thanx, col. I already found it, but now I need to work first :(

akots 14-02-2005 20:22

If we play bad, we get our ass spanked. Isn't that enough of motivation? And since the world is full with cheaters, there are certain measures implemented. Just make it accurate please with SF, and build more cities in good locations and improvements. We should be in REXing phase.

col 14-02-2005 20:28

I take your point - but the bottom line for me is just playing the SG and enjoying it.

We are at war with China now so REX might be a bit difficult.

Lt. Killer M 15-02-2005 12:38

NOTE: I have a horrible reload count on this. Reasons: playing at work - if I Alt-Tab out of Civ it often crashes. I had 5 crashes playing these turns. Also, I couldn’t play in one sitting. (

preturn: some MMing, follow anarres suggestiuons but decide to skim the worker from Colville.
need 10% lux.
do not feel lucky and do not attack chinese archer, rather move (across river, onto mountain) our warrior into chiense lands.

(1) Klei mi am Mors founded
Writing gets us 29+HBR from iros.
move warrior deeper into chinese lands (trying to keep their forces there)
mining gets Eind off 3/3 worker cycle. We can do intermittent warriors there, too.

(2) nothing much. MMing, settler goes to Orenburg, our warrior keeps wandering.

(3) same same.

(4) warrior redlines but fights back archer. Orenburg is on 5spt, Para will (one mine needed) be a 2/2 worker factory. Massive MMing makes it 4/4 settler again any time. I want another settler for the Dyes. I decide that bastard gets barracks (cutting forest, then mining plains - it has enough growth to get the respectable size/prod fast).

(5) Para Mme to growth for settler.

seems I lost my turn count here somehow

(7) Colville has ‘racks and goes warriors in 2, Arse switched to ‘racks, too. I see no Chinese coming so we have time.

(8) Japan wants 58 Gold. We can war happiness.
We meet India. Writing+Myst gets us Maths+worker; they are at war (I see a 2HP archer); I guess with Japan. MM para to 2/2 for the settler

(9) marching into China again.

(10) Spice up your life! founded.

I leave most things unmoved.

We can begin thinking about roading the iron!

akots 15-02-2005 12:42

I would not worry about reloading too much, just if you can please post the same thing at CFC. Nobody said it's gonna be easy to play at work. [lol]

Kingreno is up. Do we need to discuss someting? May be take a look at the picture?

Edited: Never mind, I've seen your post at CFC.

Kemal 15-02-2005 13:46

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by anarres

Turn 8 (1550BC):

(...)

Go to the "big picture" screen before choosing the next tech and check diplo.

Sell Philosophy to Japan for 498 gold.

(...)

I set our tech to Map Making but we have missed the Philosophy gambit. I can't but help think this is our own fault and we could have avoided it. [cry]
Just a quick note on the philosophy thing, if people don't mind me saying... I'm not sure of course, but it might be you lost the philo gamble because of the fact you sold philosophy to the AI before you actually gained the free tech yourself, meaning the AI probably got the free tech once you traded it with them, since that would be similar with the way the free techs from scientific civs can be gained before you get your own free tech as scientific civ, i.e getting your free tech after the AIs, even though you are reaching the next age as the first player.

So maybe when the game checked whether the invention of philosophy would grant you a free tech, even though you had it first, the game saw the tech had already granted a free tech to another player/AI, which is when it was traded away before this check was made for the human player.

That really stinks of course, and is quite unfair, but it would be a quite solid explanation I suppose... :(

Lt. Killer M 15-02-2005 16:20

kemal: trading doesn't influence the free tech from philo.

col 15-02-2005 16:27

I guess someone else got there first.

Melifluous 15-02-2005 16:39

Tis a shame.

In truth in mmost of the games I ran to test this I normally won the philo race on or around the 1550BC mark.

Melifluous

PS. I still blame Col though on general principles.

Kemal 15-02-2005 17:01

@killer: you're right indeed, it seems trading doesn't effect the philo tech at all, bad luck for you guys losing out on philo still that early in the game... unless the gotm-team put some other AI in an advantageous position of course with regard to the philo gambit, and every team will fail to get it first. :)

Melifluous 15-02-2005 17:27

On the bright side. Whoever got Philo, it wasn't anyone we knew and could trade it around for good money/techs. Killer says we now have over 750gold and make about 45gpt.

Warrior -> GS = 90gold so thats enough for 8 upgrades now and another every other turn.

Have we built embassies with all the other civs yet? Great use of cash IMO.

Also talked with Killer about the possibility of having a single city connected to the Iron and do all our upgrades there. The rest could then still build warriors.

I think we need to be seriously kicking some ass soon, might be nice to be Golden Aging whilst trying to build libraries, although GA in despot wont make too much difference with all our mining.

@anarres - I see from your turn log that you tried to get MM from the Philo gambit. Why? i understand its the most expensive tech on offer, but surely Literature (and libraries) would have been more use? Or maybe Code Of Laws for when we get silly large, but not that useful atm. I can see us researching up to Theology at most.

ToA and Sistines could be very nice wonders (Sistines doubles the culture from Caths)

Hmm

Well I'll be up after KingReno so we'll see what I'm left to play with [:p]

Melifluous

col 15-02-2005 17:45

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Melifluous

PS. I still blame Col though on general principles.
Good advice that applies in almost any situation.

Lt. Killer M 15-02-2005 18:16

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by Kemal

@killer: you're right indeed, it seems trading doesn't effect the philo tech at all, bad luck for you guys losing out on philo still that early in the game... unless the gotm-team put some other AI in an advantageous position of course with regard to the philo gambit, and every team will fail to get it first. :)
I have had games where an AI popped Phil from a hut.

Melifluous 15-02-2005 19:36

OK well I worked out why Killer got his turns buggered up.

You saved at the start of your 10th turn and uploaded.

No matter I looked at the save and saw our current position.

China will accept peace for 40 gold.

China hasn't connected the horses within its borders and we have 2 warriors in the area. Keep em from the horses. They dont have HBR but I'm happy to face warriors and archers from them.

Settler in Para should go for the Dyes? 1 West of the Dyes I suppose. Stop the Japs coming over and settling there.

Techs we are up on most civs (cant tell about Japan) but they have no money. Iroqs are equal. Carthago have MM up on us. Could buy for 500 gold (but why?).

F3 advisor puts our army weak compared to China and Japan.

F11 Demogs say we are No. 1 in
Code:

Approval Rating                64%
Population                  665000
GNP                          60 Mil
Mfg. Goods                38 MTons
Productivy                      113

Annual income we place 2nd with 1 per capita.

however

Code:

Land Area            10100 sq miles      11th
Literacy                        3 %        6th
Military Service            8 years      12th

Never will understand Military Service.

I also see no real reason to put Para on workers. I still think that we should be cranking out a settler every 4 turns for the forseeable future. If we keep the fighting well north we can be creating important cities sooner rather than later. 1 city not producing warriors is something I think we can afford.

Melifluous