Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Matrix' forum
Home

Old 14-11-2008, 22:54   #1
Matrix
Administrator

Default Cut The Crap - Spoiler

Here's my starting position plus surroundings. I'm rather in between other civs, I'm afraid. I'd prefer a more isolated spot.

Plux' territory can be seen in the west, NHJ's scout came from the east and Robi D's warrior from the south.

There are horses to the southwest of Groningen, so that's where I'll build my third city.

I've made a peace deal with Stapel/Plux till 0 AD, though that can be broken with a notice 10 turns in advance. Other than that I have no deals yet, as I don't know where the hell they are. My southern scout got killed by barbarians.
Old 25-11-2008, 12:47   #2
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Could you post an F9 screenie?
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2008, 14:16   #3
Matrix
Administrator

It's below, but it doesn't show a lot at this stage of the game, since it can go up and down very quickly. I'm a bit behind in GNP and ahead in production, as usual. It's my playing style, apparently.

I've signed a peace treaty with Plux and Robi till 0 AD. Plux and I can cancel our deal prematurely if it's announced 10 turns in advance. And I think we cannot live peacefully together for a long time if we are so close to each other. I would like to refer to our previous encounter:
http://www.straland.com/DutchPBEM/ (go to 1000 BC)

Old 15-03-2009, 10:03   #4
Stapel
Emperor

Not much of a spoiler !

Anyway,

You had a great spot fro the capitol, but other than that, you had really crappy land.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 00:49   #5
Matrix
Administrator

Yea, sorry.

Land was not so much crap, but my geopolitical situation was: I was the only one bordering all three of you. Literally "in the way".
Old 16-03-2009, 09:11   #6
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Yea, sorry.

Land was not so much crap, but my geopolitical situation was: I was the only one bordering all three of you. Literally "in the way".
Personally, I find that although geographical location and the quality of the land are important, it is the diplomacy part of the game that decides who'll be elimiated. Make friend early and often and try to get a common enemy. That usually helps to keep all noses pointed in the same direction.

Now, from my understanding of this game, Matrix and Robi were going after Plux, but when Stapel replaced Plux things changed a bit and Stapel turned away the first wave. Then NHJ changed the balance of the continent by helping Stapel. 2 vs 2 then. That's just a toss-up, which could go either way, depending on many factors (land, borders, quality of play, technology status, resources). Had Matrix and Robi managed to convince NHJ to join them against Plux (Stapel), then Stapel would almost surely be eliminated now.

Basically, IMHO, by not getting NHJ "on your ship", you just about forced him onboard with Stapel, which bit you in the ass when Stapel managed to repell the first wave of boarders...
Old 16-03-2009, 09:38   #7
mauer
King

Well, it didn't help that Matrix had sided with Robi. Robi had a failed invasion attempt of NHJ earlier in the game.
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2009, 10:10   #8
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauer View Post
Well, it didn't help that Matrix had sided with Robi. Robi had a failed invasion attempt of NHJ earlier in the game.

Also very true. Early agression is risky. Better be very sure you can pull it off, 'cause if you don't, you've created a willing partner in just about every plan against you...
Old 16-03-2009, 13:37   #9
Matrix
Administrator

As if Robi had any help from me... We both didn't play well. Or Stapel played excellent. A little bit of both, I think. But the fact is that we thought that 2vs1 would be enough to eliminate Stapel before 500 AD, so that we then could focus on NHJ. I don't think my diplomacy failed this time. Mind you that NHJ would have nothing to gain against Stapel. I'd have to promise him one or two of my cities, like I promised Nitro in the Rule The World II game. That was too much forced.
Old 16-03-2009, 20:01   #10
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
As if Robi had any help from me... We both didn't play well. Or Stapel played excellent. A little bit of both, I think. But the fact is that we thought that 2vs1 would be enough to eliminate Stapel before 500 AD, so that we then could focus on NHJ. I don't think my diplomacy failed this time. Mind you that NHJ would have nothing to gain against Stapel. I'd have to promise him one or two of my cities, like I promised Nitro in the Rule The World II game. That was too much forced.
I agree with Matrix (and thus disagree with Darkness) that it wasn't the diplo that failed. Robi and Matrix had very effectively sidelined NHJ until 500 AD. That should have been enough to screw my empire. Actually, it was Plux' diplo that wasn't the strongest. He gave up the peace deal with Matrix, withour ensuring Robi's neutrality.

What really saved me, was the lack of coordination between Matrix and Robi. Though the invasions came simultaniously initially, the real attacks came with reasonable time between it, due to my retreat from Alexandria:

-I was able to use ALL of my units to repell Matrix's attack.
-When all my units were healed, I could use ALL of them to repell Robi's attack.
-Then after healing, I used nearly ALL of my units to march to Matrix' capitol.
-After healing, when Robi invaded again, I could use ALL my units to repell this attack.

If Robi would have moved his invasion force near Groningen, he could have hit my wounded stack that has just conquered Groningen. Or Robi and Matrix could have a go at my stack simultaniously, when it invaded Matrix'lands.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote