Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > SG archive > Civ4 SGOTM 2
Home

Old 31-07-2006, 11:37   #1
Shabbaman
Administrator

Default Civ4 SGOTM 2

Fire away
Old 31-07-2006, 12:10   #2
socralynnek

Cool, that was fast!

Thanks, shabba.

So, let's take this thread for a pregame discussion:

First question: Is it worth it to found a second city directly or will maintenance cost hurt us more than the city does help?
Old 31-07-2006, 12:11   #3
Samson
Warlord

The big question for me is what will be the maintainance if we found the second city straight away. It looks like a long way from the first, and it could cost more that we are making. If we do not loose units if we are not paying maintanance for them it could still be worth it. The only way I can think to check is a test game. I MAY get round to that lunchtime.

The other option would be to wait until we have a bit more pop in our capital.

[EDIT] I started a game with similar parameters, if anything the cities were closer than in this game. I was at -5 gpt Straight away, but the scout was not disbanded.

I do not think we can wait the 17 turns untill our capital grows, mostly because I do not think that will help much. The problem is going to be how do we increase our GPT without pottery?

An option would be for our settler to head east until it is closer to our capital.

Download Attachment: [img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] DEV1_BC-3920.zip
45.08KB
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2006, 13:41   #4
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Garee. As posted I'll be away until the 20th from wednesday on.
Old 31-07-2006, 14:28   #5
socralynnek

as i can't see the picture of the real start at cfc at the moment, i am not sure, but i think the cities are even further apart ( don't forget that the world wraps to the east)

i also think that delaying founding much is not worth it, as it is also a strategical position to be able to found other cities faster.

at least with this setup, CS slingshot is not the only way to go...

but every city must pay this upkeep, so probably we don't want a third for some time.
Old 31-07-2006, 14:47   #6
Tubby Rower

I haven't seen the starting screenie yet. Where can I find it? I'll go ahead and sign up, but I don't think that I'll be able to pull 1-2 hour play sessions. I'll do my best though.

Anyhoo, Is there the standard number of opponents on this map? Is it worth making the "colony settler" the capital? (the preceding question might be not relevant as I'm working off of a picture in my head that might not be correct)
Old 31-07-2006, 15:03   #7
Samson
Warlord

Makeing the "colony settler" our capital would be great, but as the 1st city is already founded I think we shall have to build the palace to do that.

I think the only options are;

Found the city near the starting location, on the coast looks like a good bet. This shall mean we will not be able to reaserch for a long time. I expect we will need to grow both cities to 3 before we can have a possitive GPT, but I could be wrong.
Move the settler east. We MAY be able to find a good city spot a lot closer to the capital on this land mass. This would allow us to start reaserching a lot sooner. It is of course risky, as we may just find ourselves hemed in by other civs with nowhere to settle.
Old 31-07-2006, 15:24   #8
socralynnek

http://www.civfanatics.com/news2/arc...July&year=2006

(scroll down)

there you can see a small version but the real one is on the gotm server which is down at the moment.

You don't need to do longer sessions than 1-2 hours, in the beginning it's going fast and later on you could just play 5 turns which is fine.

Every help is welcome!

Maybe there is not much space to the east of the Settler, so I guess moving the scout eastwards might be a good start.
Old 31-07-2006, 17:53   #9
Samson
Warlord

The picture is back, I thought I would post it here to help the discusion.

95.96KB
Old 31-07-2006, 18:04   #10
Tubby Rower

hey at least we have a fishy smell and plenty of crabs

EDIT to add content:: I think that moving the settler 1 S to settle there is best since it'll free up a FP.

EDIT for additional blather::: Better yet, move the warrior SW to see if there is any benefit in moving the settler SW instead of just S