Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > grs' forum
Home

Old 04-01-2006, 21:32   #1
grs
The Nameless One

Default grs playing Ignition - *SPOILER*

The saying does not work in English, but anyways.

I am Qin... in a 4 player wheel-map game vs Matrix (Napoleon), Darkness (Mansa Musa) and Romeothemonk (Montezuma). We face 3 monarch level AI. You can read all about it here.

My start gave me a headace again. After moving the warrior and long thinking I settled in place. I will put an unusual close town to get the two fish.

43.63*KB

66.95*KB
Old 04-01-2006, 21:40   #2
Kemal

Hmm, That's quite an ugly amount of desert you've got around your location.

Any special reason to avoid the hut? It could give a scout, or even better, experience which - if wanted - might provide a very good explorer unit early on.

edit: and thanks for the spoilers, of course, since I asked for them repeatedly in the open thread.
Old 04-01-2006, 21:45   #3
grs
The Nameless One

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

Hmm, That's quite an ugly amount of desert you've got around your location.

Any special reason to avoid the hut? It could give a scout, or even better, experience which - if wanted - might provide a very good explorer unit early on.
I wanted as much map info as I could get, so I moved the warrior nw. I will pop the hut with the cities expansion.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

edit: and thanks for the spoilers, of course, since I asked for them repeatedly in the open thread.
You are welcome.
Old 04-01-2006, 22:24   #4
Socrates
Emperor

A headache start for sure. But really, with my limited experience with Civ4, I don't think you chose the best tile to settle on. The needle in the shoe : those sea tiles which won't be improved to maximum effect, and no access to the coast for early trading. But I'm not sure where I would have settled... Possible tiles : NW, NE, SE. Anyway I'm just a n00b.

Good luck, and thanks already for the spoiler. This is the 1st 3+ PBEM, right ?
Old 04-01-2006, 22:29   #5
grs
The Nameless One

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kryszcztov

A headache start for sure. But really, with my limited experience with Civ4, I don't think you chose the best tile to settle on. The needle in the shoe : those sea tiles which won't be improved to maximum effect, and no access to the coast for early trading. But I'm not sure where I would have settled... Possible tiles : NW, NE, SE. Anyway I'm just a n00b.

Good luck, and thanks already for the spoiler. This is the 1st 3+ PBEM, right ?
NW would have made me lose the fish and a turn, NE would have put me even closer to the desert. SE would probably have been the best choice - if I only knew there are crabs down there.
Old 04-01-2006, 22:37   #6
Socrates
Emperor

Yup, NW and SE both lose 1 turn. NW also makes you lose ONE fish (but you'd like both, wouldn't you ?). But NE and SE don't really put you closer to the desert, since there isn't desert 3 tiles east of Beijing (can be seen in the first pic). You'd swap some tiles in the west for tiles in the east. In the end it's a battle between NE and SE for me, but indeed the clams make SE the best choice, or so it seems... But without knowing it, it's about more land and river versus more sea tiles and access to the coast... It seems that a coastal start is even more important than in Civ3 though.

Bah, enough talking about it. Any idea about your general plan ?
Old 04-01-2006, 22:44   #7
grs
The Nameless One

Get fishing, animal husbandry and a settler fast. I will need a second city, which will build some workboats then.
Old 16-01-2006, 20:16   #8
grs
The Nameless One

Already met romeo to the west and Isabella (Buddhist) to the east. Isabella's scout took a hut from me
Old 22-03-2006, 21:57   #9
grs
The Nameless One

1920BC map update.

60.23KB

I have discovered writing and am going for alphabet now, which is quite expensive, but I am sure it will have it's uses soon. I have an open borders agreement with Isabella now and hope Buddhism to spread to me soon. No luck with exploring the axis, since I lost a second exploring warrior.
Old 07-06-2006, 20:32   #10
grs
The Nameless One

I feal like resigning the game after losing an archer and a worker to a barb warrior with a 1% chance I will lose an improvement (iron mine next turn) had to revolt to slavery for no gain, just to rush a unit before losing a city. That really kicks me out of this game quite soon.