Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Tubby Rower's Slacker Kingdom
Home

Old 19-09-2005, 13:04   #1
Tubby Rower

Default [Called off] grs vs Tubby (We'll restart in civ4)

If this is grs......go away

This is my first solo PBEM. I hope that I do ok. I'm a little leary about no AI. And this will more than likely play as AW. which I'm not good or experienced at.

Old 19-09-2005, 13:05   #2
Tubby Rower

Here is my start. I started on the cow and thought it best to move toward the GH and there are sugars on the other side of the mountains.

38.48KB
Old 19-09-2005, 13:09   #3
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Why not moving to the hill to the north? Gives you protection, and all that.... I normally try to avoid using my settler to pop a hut

(just tossing out stuff for discussion)

Old 19-09-2005, 13:27   #4
Tubby Rower

A little late now but I did consider that. I didn't want my border expansion to pop the hut. Since this is Emperor 65% chance of barbs, if I have any military. If I plant right next to GH...it's 0%. That was my reasoning. I've never played 1 on 1 before so I don't want to give grs too big of a head start.
Old 19-09-2005, 13:30   #5
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Paal, you do not get barbs from a hut regardless of level or military units if you found a city 1 tile from it. That's a technique advanced civ players use. []

And how many times do you need your capital for protection? I've not read a spoiler where someone was attacking a human's capital.
Old 19-09-2005, 22:20   #6
Whomp
King

You did the right thing Tubs. If you need to be on a hill for your captial you're through anyhow. You may get a nice benefit from the hut. Let's hope a tech.
Old 21-09-2005, 13:09   #7
Tubby Rower

Well the GH just gave me a warrior which is out scouting now. Not a lot of good land but I did manage to figure out a way for a 4-turn settler factory starting @ 3000BC. My initial build is a granary since I got my warrior from the hut. after that it's 4 turn settlers.

Research the wheel @ max <- probably the wrong decision, but I can't get them all right can I?
Old 21-09-2005, 20:27   #8
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Don't forget a classic mistake many make (and I did too in my first pbem(s)): don't skimp on military!
Old 22-09-2005, 00:31   #9
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

You did the right thing Tubs. If you need to be on a hill for your captial you're through anyhow.
Whats wrong with founding a capital on a hill? You get extra defense bonus, which is nice. Also you (normally) save a plains/grassland that gives you better growth than a hill. If it's a goldhill settling on the hill even gives you extra commerce -> faster research.
Old 22-09-2005, 05:10   #10
Whomp
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ProPain

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

You did the right thing Tubs. If you need to be on a hill for your captial you're through anyhow.
Whats wrong with founding a capital on a hill? You get extra defense bonus, which is nice. Also you (normally) save a plains/grassland that gives you better growth than a hill. If it's a goldhill settling on the hill even gives you extra commerce -> faster research.
Propain you are much more knowledgable than I but in this case it seems to me that getting the hut which popped the warrior is worth something right off the bat. He is now going for a farmers gambit. The other problem I saw with that hill is the two desert tiles would not have been very productive either.