Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > prettyvacant's forum
Home

Old 05-05-2003, 08:31   #1
prettyvacant

Default SPOILER - pv v dogboy

This is the thread for my PBEM 1 v 1 ladder game against dogboy. Dogboy, if you have slipped in here by accident - bugger off immediately.

The game started on 26 March.

I'm Persian, dogboy is China, and AI is Arabs, Romans, Celts and Mongols. Monarch, not a very big map.
prettyvacant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 09:34   #2
prettyvacant

28.33*KB

Not quite start as that file seems to have disappeared. Very nice to see a cow (and for once im gonna resist putting the cow link in - if you havent seen it go to Fall of Rome Spoiler - its a hoot).

Researching iron working first, not for an early victory (cos I suspect china will be too far away as this is a constructed map) but so I can see where it is as early as poss to expand in the right direction. Also cos Ive never got IW from a hut but hope to get Pottery (extreme wishful thinking is often at the core of my strategy). This may cost me in terms of early expansion.

Goody hut to SE produced barbars; much consternation, worker hides, warrior out scouting scurries back. Survived at cost of missed a few worker turns. (Re-played this bit to get a screenshot and the hut popped a settler - well blow me down I thought what a shame that didnt happen).
Old 05-05-2003, 11:07   #3
prettyvacant

1990 BC

world map

13.58*KB

local map

64.97*KB

score

21.75*KB

At this point I had met everybody and knew where they all were with the exception of dogboy. Had found some more cows and now had a settler factory established. Just as well this is only Monarch because at this point my score was only marginally better than the truly awful Celts. I was researching literature - though god knows why. A few turns later I decided that the strategy was to research Monarchy and attack with my immortals to generate a Monarchy Golden Age.

The worker, whose feet you can see at the top, is heading towards the iron in the hills just to the north of him.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:51   #4
prettyvacant

490 BC
Map (There is more of China to the right of this, most of the light blue here was Celtic not long ago)

20.68*KB
Score (This shows the destruction (almost) of the Celts (dark green) by dogboy's Chinese (light blue)). (It also looks like Persia is getting bigger but it is not, we have all moved along a bit to accommodate China!)

44.94*KB

I have got a nice shaped empire though dogboy's is really odd. Dogboy had all but wiped out the Celts, and they had had an enforced palace jump to their town to the south east of Persia. This put my town in the south, which was there for the furs, under pressure from cultural conversion, whereas before the palace jump I was hoping it would work the other way.

In the isthmus between the two bits of the Arabian empire (Pink) dogboy had followed up by sticking 2 towns on grapes and incense - just before I did so, the bugger!

Researching Monarchy - due to arrive in 6. I was very tempted to join in smashing up the Celts but stuck to my strategy of waiting for Monarchy Golden Age. This attack would now have to be against the Arabs. Luckily in a few turns time the message was broadcast that the Arabs had built the Oracle in Mecca.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:04   #5
prettyvacant

110 AD

Score

Culture (No need for this to be here really but I just like the shape)

At 110 AD my Golden Age ended. During it I had annexed large chunks of Arabia including the Oracle at Mecca and had got a couple of techs and a couple of towns for the Peace Treaty.

Nearly all my towns now had temples and libraries, and the ones in the middle of the empire had marketplaces.

I sent my immortals off towards the Mongols.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:35   #6
prettyvacant

310 AD

Halfway to Mongolia my immortals changed their minds and decided to attack the Romans. This made military sense as clearly the Romans did not have iron and therefore it was a good idea to attack before they got legionnaires. Elites used to attack in an attempt to get a GL (in vain so far). Also may be last chance to use immortal attack as pikemen are appearing on the scene.

I have got Engineering, Dogboy and the Mongols have got Chivalry, nobody else has got either of these. The Mongols have got a few medieval infantry. The Mongols will swap all their money and Chivalry for Engineering. I am currently building some horses before this swap to upgrade. (I have got 1600 gold).

My plan, since the invasion of Rome was going so well, and there was still empty land in the northeast corner of the world, was to start heading towards a domination victory. However, although my army is clearly strong enough to take the Romans apart and can probably do the same to the Mongols, if all my troops are in the west and northwest I might have a load of Chinese horsies/Riders galloping almost unopposed into my eastern provinces. I have just had the following conversations with Chairman Dogboy:

chairman dogboy
if i recall correctly we agreed to have a peace deal until 500 AD, with a review at 300. I think both our interests are best assured to keep our peace treaty in place.

your horsies are acting like they are embedded - I hope they are enjoying the view.
pv

[There are Chinese horsies watching the destruction of Rome by the gallant Persian immortals]

Prince Xerxes,
You do recall correctly. I have no intention of breaking our peace deal, in fact, I might ask you to extend it once we reach 500AD. My horsies are simply there to watch the fall of the Roman empire. However, I have begun moving them back.
db

Chairman Dogboy
Presumably your horsies are on the way back to be converted into riders.

I am, of course, glad that we are going to continue down our peaceful path. However, some of my cabinet are becoming concerned at the news of your construction of Sun Tzu's Academy because they find this difficult to reconcile with your peaceful proposals.

Would you care to enlighten your ally,
PV

Prince prettyvacant.
My horses are on the way back to my land so that they will not end up in your land when you finish conquering the Romans. I have no desire to disband them so I am moving them back now. As for why I'm building Sun Tzu's Academy, it is because I'm a peaceful person. The AI is less inclined to wage war on the nation that holds that great wonder.
db

So I have been trying to get a GL to either build Sun Tzu to stop dogboy and of course for my own benefit, or to build a FP somewhere.

The question is:

Is dogboy going to build Sun Tzu, churn out a 100 Riders and smash me up, so I better send a load of defenders pronto to the east, (I am researching at max towards Gunpowder, I will have it about the same time as he gets Sun Tzu) or

shall I believe him and concentrate my forces on attacking Romans and Mongols, and churn out some more Settlers to populate the northeast of the world with Persians?
Old 05-05-2003, 12:49   #7
Aggie
Emperor

Entertaining story !! Keep up the good work.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 13:05   #8
prettyvacant

Thank you Aggie. However, when I say the question is?? - I really am looking for people's opinions as I haven't got a flipping clue! I was going to set a poll up but can't.
Old 05-05-2003, 13:30   #9
Aggie
Emperor

I'm at work now, but when I'm at home and have more time I will try to answer a question or two.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 13:32   #10
ERIKK

What happened to Persepolis? I see Pasergadea is the Capital...
ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote