Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > bed_head7's forum
Home

Old 25-08-2007, 02:04   #11
mauer
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bed_head7

Well, I had a few distractions and did not log in to close the competition as expected. I was surprised to see only two entrants. A bit of a shame, as I feel like this was a pretty decent quiz, and certainly a lot of the people who used to participate in barbu's would have been able to answer at least some of them.
I sell ice cream for a living. Tone it down and I'll jump in
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 02:07   #12
Beorn
Disabled Vet

They all sound like things I could have a chance of knowing, but don't. A shame, I enjoy these things. Now I looked it up and I'm spoiled, but confirming I had at best a chance of a guess at 2...
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2007, 02:29   #13
romeothemonk
King

Well, I submitted my answers. I am guessing that I got between a 2 and a 4.
Some of my stuff is pretty wacky for answers.
Old 27-08-2007, 11:16   #14
bed_head7

Science

1. During a star's lifetime, it maintains hydrostatic equilibrium, with the force of self gravity pulling matter inward, and radiation pressure from the energy released in fusion pushing outward. Once a star can no longer fuse matter in its core, it begins to collapse, and eventually becomes what is called a compact star, or compact object. What are the three main classes of compact objects? (1 point for each)

The three objects are black holes, neutron stars, and white dwarfs. Black holes are the stars that are so massive that there is no force capable of matching the force of self gravity, and they shrink to a singularity. Neutron stars form from less massive stars, and as their name suggests are composed primarily of neutrons. They have the density of a nucleus, approximately, and the mass of about the sun in an object about 10km across. They are held up by degeneracy pressure due to neutrons not being able to occupy the same state (Pauli exclusion principle). White dwarfs are the fates of all stars with an initial mass in five solar mass range and below, and are held up by electron degeneracy pressure instead of neutron degeneracy pressure.

Some partial credit was awarded for recognizing that a pulsar is a particular kind of neutron star.

2. Which radioactive element was once commonly used to give glass yellow or orange hues? (1 point)

I learned in my visit to the Corning Museum of Glass that uranium was once used regularly for this task, before the discovery of its radioactivity. romeo answered iodine, which I do know would give a similar color, but I could not find evidence that it was in common use ever. (edit: I have now awarded a half a point, as I did not phrase the question as clearly as I should have)

History

3. Which WWI leader was nicknamed "The Tiger?" (1 point)

No one was able to get this question. "The Tiger" was Georges Clemenceau, PM of France for the latter part of the war, and the man who represented France during the Treaty of Versailles. romeo knew that much, but not the name, so I gave him a small bonus.

4. During which war was the unification of the modern Italian state completed? (1 point)

A couple were close, but no one get this either. The answer is actually the Franco-Prussian war in 1870. This was a tricky question, as there were multiple wars in the preceding years that worked towards Italian unification, but it was not until Prussia and France fought that the Italians were finally able to gain control of Rome, and complete the process of unification.

Geography (sort of)

5. What is the tallest known mountain in the solar system? Note that the geo prefix does not necessarily apply. (1 point)

Olympus Mons, located on Mars, was the mountain in question. I gave Meli a bit of credit for recognizing that it was located on Mars.

Arts and Literature

6. In which dystopian novel were the roles of religion and God replaced (roughly) by consumption and Ford? (1 point)

I recently finally read Brave New World, where mass production and homogenization have been extended to breeding humans, and the ideas of Henry Ford play a very clear role in defining how people's lives are led. It was inspired partly by the spirit of consumption observed by author Aldous Huxley in a trip to the United States in the 1920s.

7. Which Jane Austen hero was the most popular choice in a recent survey taken in the UK of fictional characters women would want to date? By the way, I do not expect anyone to actually know the answer, but if you are at all familiar with Jane Austen the answer should be obvious. Of course, as all the people answering are likely males, therein lies the challenge of the question. (1 point)

Mr. Darcy, of course. I figured none of you had read Pride and Prejudice, Austen's most famous work, and your answers seem to confirm this. I actually have, and it is not so bad as you all seem to think, though I have loose tastes in literature, as long as it is well written.

8. Who painted this iconic piece of American art? (1 point)

I do not really know much about this, so I'll just share the name of the painter, Grant Wood. My art history knowledge is pretty limited to the names and famous paintings of a few random individuals throughout history.

Final scores:
socralynnek - 6
barbu1977 - 5
romeothemonk - 4.75
Melifluous - 3.5

Would there be more interest in another one of these if I went slightly easier? That said, I am not sure how much time I'll have once the semester starts (tomorrow), but I am just curious in case I do decide to make more.
bed_head7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 11:51   #15
socralynnek

Woooohooooo....I won!

OK, if you admit that you have read Jane Austen, then I admit that I only knew the last question because I regularly watch "Desperate Housewives" and the picture is part of the main title...

I am always interested in such games and I kind of don't mind how hard it is (but it is always best to have at least 1 or 2 easy questions)

Maybe I am doing some kind of trivia myself someday, but with a different scope...
Old 27-08-2007, 14:39   #16
romeothemonk
King

I am all about competition. I may even get better.
Old 28-08-2007, 15:35   #17
Rik Meleet

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bed_head7

Would there be more interest in another one of these if I went slightly easier? That said, I am not sure how much time I'll have once the semester starts (tomorrow), but I am just curious in case I do decide to make more.
Yes - I would be more interested. The topics of competition #1 would have scored me 1 point for "White dwarf" and a fraction of a point for "Mars".

To me; playing for 1 point was a bit futile. However, having a competition where most answers can be given by knowledge or reasoning has a higher score and thus more fun (and don't forget the bragging-rights).
Old 28-08-2007, 18:05   #18
sz_matyas

Doh, haven't been paying the closest attention and completely missed out on this (happens when your computer is on the fritz and just getting a new one loaded). I will say it was a good challenge and would be interested in the next one (figure I would have gotten 5- black holes/neutron stars, Olympus Mons [too much sci-fi reading for me to miss], Brave New World and Wood)

On the other hand, why would I ever read Jane Austen when there are so many better books for me to read.
Old 28-08-2007, 18:35   #19
socralynnek

If you have never read Jane Austen, how do you know the other books are better?

Oh, just a thought...

I think I have at least 1000 books on my list that I want to read first before I think about reading Austen...
Old 29-08-2007, 22:36   #20
bed_head7

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sz_matyas

Doh, haven't been paying the closest attention and completely missed out on this (happens when your computer is on the fritz and just getting a new one loaded). I will say it was a good challenge and would be interested in the next one (figure I would have gotten 5- black holes/neutron stars, Olympus Mons [too much sci-fi reading for me to miss], Brave New World and Wood)

On the other hand, why would I ever read Jane Austen when there are so many better books for me to read.
I cannot remember now if it was you or romeo, but at least someone in the family is a fan of Dickens. In my own opinion, Jane Austen is worth a read well before Dickens ever would be.
bed_head7 is offline   Reply With Quote