Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > grahamiam's forum
Home

Old 09-03-2006, 13:07   #41
WackenOpenAir

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

But you cannot prevent the money going to Gozpel. If he has met the same AI you paid money to and if he owns a tech the AI doesn't then it will probably happen.
He is not supposed to have any tech they don't have.

I decided getting writing first can make such an important difference, i might even give up on some growth in the later stage of my writing research if that will speed up the research.
Getting writing first should enable me to get the AI's technologies, the gold and if i gift it to each and every AI (met them all but 1 now), i have gozpel locked out of trading.
If he gets it first, he sure will be smart enough to lock me out.

Although due to the failed trading plan and 1 micromanagement error i am probably a turn, maybe 2 behind on research, I do think my research should be somewhat better than Gozpel's. I have a very dense city placement that allows me the first 5 cities all on a river and very close to the capital for extra commerce and low corruption. Gozpels faster growing score indicates a less dense city placement, and thus he might have less river use and greater distances to capital.
WackenOpenAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 19:40   #42
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Hi WOA (too lazy to write it all)

Interesting to see someone trying something slightly different than what the seasoned players here do. I ve just scimmed through some of your posts in this here spoiler so far, but it seems you take a different approach than what other pbem players do.

I suppose it is single player influence that guides your decisions. But I am not saying there is anything wrong with that. Just dont underestimate gozpel

And dont go building any of them temples
Old 10-03-2006, 19:44   #43
WackenOpenAir

What am i doing so different ?
Old 10-03-2006, 19:51   #44
Whomp
King

I don't think I've ever seen a player go 0% for alpha like you did in a PBEM. Very interesting strategy and I like it, personally. I think most PBEMers have learned to build more military than they ordinarily would but with deity AI in between this looks like there won't be a showdown till late MA's. It would seem that ROP's will be critical in this game.
Old 10-03-2006, 20:13   #45
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Whomp answered it for me. I also like how you argue in your posts. Must be because people here have tended to do things in more or less the same way (read enough spoilers and you start to see general patterns)

Not that I want to say that pbemers here are unoriginal...

The details in your writeup are good imo. You benefit from your SG background. Makes things easy to follow (even for st00pid players like me).

Old 10-03-2006, 20:28   #46
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Whomp

I don't think I've ever seen a player go 0% for alpha like you did in a PBEM.

... I think most PBEMers have learned to build more military than they ordinarily would but with deity AI in between this looks like there won't be a showdown till late MA's.

... It would seem that ROP's will be critical in this game.
I've tried that in a game against Anarres but failed miserably not only with alpha but overall. Again, he was playing as Iro and I was Japan, so that failure was rather expected.

To the second point: all it takes is a military alliance with one AI early in the game. Like on turn 25 or 30 or even 40. It can be rather lethal because on Deity pangea map, one military alliance usually means that you are immediately dogpiled with all other AIs. They do come with slow units mostly though but it is hard to predict and depends on whether they can hook up the resources. IMHO, the game might essentially end with knights and cavalry would be just a finishing touch.

To the third point, iirc, I've been RoP raped in that game by AI 5 or 6 times and lost a few cities. So, it is a double-edged sword.

But really, my experienced on a Deity Pangea map is limited to only a single game against Anarres and the starting conditions were hardly in my favor. I'd say it was a relatively large handicap. Although, I have not lost yet.

In this game, the setup might be more balanced. It is hard to predict what is going to happen.
Old 14-03-2006, 23:24   #47
WackenOpenAir

*Last question removed because i found out myself

This is what it looks like now. I initially planned a city on the white dot, but almost unfortunately, it was a BG, so again my placement gets screwed up and becomes tighter due to a BG overdose
The red dots should be no problem, the blue is less important and i might not get there before the AI closes me in.

195.51*KB

I have a tight core, it was build fast deu to short walking distancs and not wasting time on other builds and all 5 towns are on river.
The northern 2 towns will both build a settler after this warrior, making 4 cities producing a settler and one building a worker (it will build 2 workers in row) This causes 4 of my cities to grow and be size 2 soon.
All these things should benefit my writing research, i hope it will be enough to get me writing first.
After writing however, my settlers will complete and the towns become size 1 again. So i am not too sure yet if my research will be good then for philosophy. That however is a problem i will look into later.

I am still not sure if i should go for republic or monarchy. Republic might get problematic if your opponent simply never gives you peace. What is the standard in PBEM ?
Old 15-03-2006, 01:18   #48
WackenOpenAir

Turn 42, 4 turns later than the picture in last post.

The cost to research writing suddenly dropped drastically, i have 4 turns remaining on it now (worth 88g). I inspect the AI's and see a bunch of them have it.
I take the cheapest offer and buy it for 43g + 2gpt.
I am able to retrade it for all the different starting techs, Horseback Riding, Iron Working and Mysticism. All AI's and I now have the same tech's, only half the AI's have math as well.
Unfortunately, i have not been able to get back my previously payed gold since this is in hands of a tech leading AI.
I have gotten 19 gold in trade, so i can pay those 2gpt for 9 turns without harming my research, probably just enough to get Philosophy.

I hope Gozpel has been researching alphabet and Writing as well. The fact that most AI's have gold in stock makes me believe Gozpel is not the one who spread Writing between them.
He can't have been able to trade alphabet, so if he has researched this way, he has had no trading opportunities yet, and he won't have any before he researches a new tech either.
Old 15-03-2006, 09:12   #49
Rik Meleet

4 luxuries in your land.
Old 15-03-2006, 09:17   #50
WackenOpenAir

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rik Meleet

4 luxuries in your land.
Ye, that is nice, but no doubt Gozpel will have 4 as well, so it doesn't really matter

I am kinda worried about my scouting warrior. As you can see he moved a bit southward in the centre of the map, but now a few turns later, he found coast there. Expecting the map to be symetrical somehow, Goz could either be on the northwest or southwest. It better be southwest
Of course, that is a minor worry compared to the research worries. I just fear Gozpel researching Literacy instead of Philosophy and the AI beating me to Philo.
It took me about an hour to make the decision between Philo and Literature, and i still aint sure.
On the other hand, if i succeed getting philo first, Goz is gonna be "drawing dead" as we say it in poker . So maybe the glass is half full.