Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Ginger_Ale's Forum
Home

Old 06-04-2005, 00:54   #11
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Update time. Turn 69. Both Paal and I have Map Making, so it's a race to find the other continent. Knowing how mucho f a sucker Paal is for TGL, my guess it choose Literature as his free tech with Philosophy. I'm expanding nicely, and hoping to get into Republic early (before we go to Middle Ages), build up my cities, research Chivalry, and take out Indians and Koreans. Easier said than done, but I'm doing well. I have a 30+ point lead. I hope that Paal uses the Great Library, and shuts research off. If I do it right, make the right trades, and start wars at the right time, by the time we get to Education, I can be way beyond him. 3 AIs and 1 human (my continent) are faster researchers than 3 AIs. I lead in techs...

http://img150.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...aalpbem6ue.jpg -- screenshot of my lands

I have 2 luxuries hooked up, about to be 3, and 4 in the near future, with furs in the southern tundra.
Ginger_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:57   #12
Gogf

There's also furs just south of Edo...

Amazing start !
Gogf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 01:03   #13
Rik Meleet

The previous game with Paal you lost some cities to scouting Paaliklessian warriors. I expect you to not want that again. Any plans to counter this ?
Old 08-04-2005, 01:33   #14
Ginger_Ale
Prince

First off, it's continents, so I expect nothing from Paal until Magnetism / Navigation. That'll give me enough time to get some military up and running. I'll leave units around my core until I get rails - I don't want him to land units near my core and lose some productive cities, as I've seen others have that happen to them. When I get rails, artillery + cavalry would be enough to fend him off. I hope by the time I get artillery, I will have conquered my continent. For me, artillery and cavalry are unstoppable. I want to make contact with his continent first, so I have suicide galley runs starting on both sides of the continent. It'll give me a big break in tech trading, and allow him to get far behind if I trade his AIs and mine techs to go past him. I would also get to establish an embassy first...

Once Tokyo (my 2nd city) finishes it's library, (as it has a barracks), it'll start produce swordsmen to either war with or upgrade to samurai. A well timed GA is crucial.
Old 19-04-2005, 01:07   #15
Ginger_Ale
Prince

We've made it to Turn 80, otherwise known as 1000 BC. I'll post a better report when I get the save back, but:

My curragh and galley suicide runs both sank in the ocean, which seems to be quite big. I get Republic in 9 turns and will revolt in the interturn to only get 1 'full' turn of anarchy. I have a settler pump and worker pump going, and am starting to build swordsmen to take over India. Going full speed for Chivalry.
Old 21-04-2005, 01:34   #16
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Another suicide galley sunk. I'm heading towards Republic, and am almost near the end of the expansion phase. I am sure I have WAY more cities than Paal does. I hope to use that to my advantage in Republic to not have as many unit support costs.

WARNING: Large pics below!!

Old 23-04-2005, 20:50   #17
Ginger_Ale
Prince

In the last turn, turn 89, I traded for Polytheism from the Inca using Republic, and then Republic and Literature to India for Construction. Now I just need Currency until the next age. I'll go Feudalism -> Mono -> Chivalry, and maybe I can get Knight's Templar.

I'm almost done expanding. Kyoto will produce a couple more settlers for the south, and then I'm going for war production.

I am pretty certain that I am revolting earlier than Paal. I haven't seen any increases in score for him (I've gained 10 points over him since the last report), so I think he's still Despotic.
Old 24-04-2005, 00:38   #18
Ginger_Ale
Prince

I will declare war on India on about turn 100 (it's turn 98). I will have 7 vet swords there on that turn, with 3+ on their way.

I entered the MA on 650 BC, IIRC.

Old 24-04-2005, 14:56   #19
Ginger_Ale
Prince

The Indian War has started! The start of turn 101:

Battle of Madras (size 4 with walls)
vSword vs. rSpear = lose, spear now 2/4
vSword vs. rSpear = lose, spear now 1/3
vSword vs. cSpear = wins, now 1/4
vSword vs. 1/4 Spear = wins, now 3/4
Captures a settler. Captures 2 slaves.
Captures Madras.

The losses weren't too heavy, considering I was attacking across a river into a walled town.

Next goal: Delhi, then Bombay. Bangalore is up north, by some incense, so I won't go after it quite yet. I'm thinking that Korea will be my first Samurai victim.

One possibly scary thing: in the email with the 101 save for me, Paal said this:

Quote:
quote:Battle report:
Akkad captured: Renamed Flank Secured (subject to change)
Nineveh razed (stupid AI settling pattern)

Consolidation of main force before Babylon in aprox 2-4 turns
(reinforcements to counter bad RNG)

So far, RNG has been ok though

I am attacking with kniggits, what are you?
That is where I am unsure. I have very belief that he is telling the truth. I get Feudalism in 4 turns, and Mono in about 9. Chivalry will take, say, 9 too. That means he's around 20 turns ahead of me. I'm not sure how that is possible - he is still behind me in score, and it would be hard for him to research more than me, as that would mean he has more cities, which would show up as more score, so I don't believe him yet.

Meanwhile, my suicide galleys still die ... the oceans are huge!
Old 24-04-2005, 17:47   #20
Ginger_Ale
Prince

Delhi has fallen!
Battle of Delhi
vSword vs. rSpear - wins, spear 2/3
vSword vs. rSpear - wins, now 2/4
vSword vs. cSpear - wins, now 2/4
Captures 1 worker.
Captures Delhi.

They have Bombay, Bangalore, and a settler/spear pair that I have some swords following still alive.