Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 06-11-2007, 20:57   #161
BCLG100
Deity

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...highlight=SMTP

has only just come out but looks like a good program to use

edit- oh and the original question, my understanding is that smtp server basically means @hotmail.com or @gmail.com or whatever

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 22:04   #162
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Ok, so this is not trivial. It sounds so simple though. Shouldn't it just *work*? From what mauer told me, that's pretty much it on his end. It works, period. Should I post a screenshot or does everyone know where this is, under the My Details for a game?
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 22:12   #163
barbu1977
Emperor

If you use outlook express to take mails and not only a web mail based service, use the same information that is configured in the outlook express options.

However, I heard it may and may not work depending on the ISP you have. I tried it with the vanilla game and it did not work for me. (I have Videotron)
Old 06-11-2007, 22:18   #164
Beorn
Disabled Vet

I use gmail, just like the guy in the CFC thread, so that might be it. I'll use his proggy and I guess this is where it'll end.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
Old 18-02-2008, 18:42   #165
Plux
King

WhAT DO the little black towers (and the percentage number) above the city icon signify??
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 18:48   #166
Beorn
Disabled Vet

From what I gather, black towers means there are units fortified in it (might not be exact) and it's useful to check from the F1 screen what city has defenders and which hasn't.

The percentage is a culture modifier to defense. The higher your culture, the higher this number gets. I'm not sure whether walls and castles are included in here - probably are - and any unit defending that city gets that much as a tile defense bonus to strength.
Old 18-02-2008, 19:07   #167
Matrix
Administrator

Indeed. The percentage is the amount a defender gets against an attack. The value is dependent of the presence of walls & castles and culture. Each cultural level adds 20% to the defense, walls and castles each 50%. And Chichen Itza 25% (to all cities).

So a city with walls, a castle, >50,000 culture and Chichen Itza will have a 225% defense bonus.
Old 18-02-2008, 19:22   #168
Matrix
Administrator

Then if the city is on a hill, defended by a mech. inf. with City Garrison I/II/III and Guerilla I/II, attacked by a regular warrior, the odds would be...
2 vs 32*(1+225%(city)+25%(hill)+75%(garrison)+50%(gueri lla)+10%(melee)) = 2 vs 155.2

Can anyone tell me how much chance the warrior has? Or better: how many warriors are necessary to defeat the mech inf?
Old 19-02-2008, 02:37   #169
Beorn
Disabled Vet

I think this is worth a worldbuilder test. Well worth it.

Any bets? I'd go for 500, if the mech inf can't promote. Otherwise, well over 2000.

Edit2: crossing a river, you add an extra to the % I guess: 166.4 shows for me. 158.4 without crossing. Maybe there's some upgrade that gives an extra little % to melee units... either way, after over 350 hits, guess how much strength remained in the Mech Inf?

After 5 GGens were born, the Mech inf increased in strength to 168, probably just the fortify bonus. Either way, this is not conclusive. I would dare believe you cannot scratch the unit past a certain point. Somewhere below 160:2 would be a safe initial hypothesis.
Old 19-02-2008, 13:13   #170
Matrix
Administrator

Oh, indeed, a river and fortification both add another 25%. But you can't have Chichen Itza and mech. inf., so that brings it too...163.2