Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > KingReno's Forum
Home

Old 17-02-2004, 14:41   #21
Aggie
Emperor

My intention when making the map was to give you two a great and equal start () with plenty of space to expand. I did consider giving the AI's a terrible starting position, but why not play deity then? It appears that you two had different thoughts about it reading the spoilers, but that did not occur to me.
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 23:41   #22
Kingreno

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Aggie

My intention when making the map was to give you two a great and equal start () with plenty of space to expand. I did consider giving the AI's a terrible starting position, but why not play deity then? It appears that you two had different thoughts about it reading the spoilers, but that did not occur to me.
Hey man, forget it!, I am happy to see the AI got a decent start. As you say, why not play deity then.
The few less lux, for now it got me all the ancient era techs for just 30 gpt from Sky, so what the hell.
Old 17-02-2004, 23:45   #23
Aggie
Emperor

Kingreno, thanks...I didn't mean the last comment so harsh at it may seem
Old 22-02-2004, 00:03   #24
Kingreno

It has been a while since this was updated so here is another, slighly hopefull, update.

First, very important and contrary to earlier posts, we have not selected feudalism as our new goverment.. Testing showed that in this type of situation and predicted growth of my military, Monarchy is better. Here is why.
I intend, in the longer run, to attack the Iro cities in the middle-island, and razing them. Scouts report that this area is filled with workers as well. I myself have 40 homemade workers and in a few turns they will be DONE on my turf. Everything has been improved, and that is a great achievement by itself.
These aztec workers will, as soon as we are Monarchy, be joined to our cities who lack the population, thus generating size seven cities that will support 4. Either way, I will go beyond the free units limit and that means 3 gpld per unit in feudalism, added to ww. No thanx! The Aztecs are now a MONARCHY!
Off course, the obligatory NINE turns of anarchy preceded this in which we were forced to buy furs from France to keep 35% of our poppoints from starvation.
But those days are over.

115.93*KB

As soon as we went Monarchy I did some upgrading (5 swords to MI) and declared WAR on my neighbours, the Iroquois. A turn later, a great victory where a scouting jag defeated a knight ([]) gave our great great civ a GOLDEN AGE!
I immediately ordered full taxes (8.0.2) and we made 500gpt which was all converted to military. It was very welcome, quite soon Iro stacks attacked the mountainguards but nothing came even close. the 20 catapults and trebuchets pumped them all down in hp. MI and horses did the rest.

Trades. I soon bought: Engineering, Mono, Invention and Chivalry! The latter I traded to sky for Theology.
These deals costs me 187 gpt , divided over France an Korea.
All cities have build markets and cathedrals now and finaly happiness is managable. Good news too is that we'll get to trading with our beloved Mayan brothers soon, meaning 2 more luxes will arrive in Tenochtitlan.

But the war.

35.23*KB

As can be seen, the line held. However, the passage has been renamed now; the formerly 'pass of leaders' is now the "pass of where the f*** is that leader".

The middle Island! Please note that Coyotepec is new foubded next to Iroquois ruins of a size 10 city!

64.02*KB

The next turns:

15.09*KB

and:

40.21*KB

And we move on.
Off course, we are not alone in our rightfull couse, the Mayans are helping too! Uhm, they have sent a curragh! but that is for sightseeing alone.
how about you Joan?

58.04*KB

Yes yes yes!!!
Joan will keep them busy, while I take the land. I hope.

Also, Sky sends me 2 luxes and the republic for free (yeah, everyone else has it and I am never ever going to be a republic, but thanx anyway.) So the f2:

8.34*KB

For now, we march towards Salamanca!

again, any comments.questions are welcome.

EDIT: a turn later I razed Gayagaahe and got a LEADER

Old 22-02-2004, 01:16   #25
anarres
anarchist butcher

Can we get the turn number and the minimap please?
Old 22-02-2004, 08:18   #26
Kingreno

Sure!
turn 162 now and:

10.17KB

where:

I am dark green[]
the Iro's are purple,
Joan is Pink
Egypt yellow
India Grey
Ottomans Orange
Koreans Lila (?)
Maya blue (bottom right)

I am connected to Iroquois and France by land.
Old 03-03-2004, 13:15   #27
Kingreno

A new update forced by some very intensive turns.

We are now at turn 170, the year: 550AD

To my surprise, and undoubtly my happiness, still none of my opponents are in the Industrial age! This is great, with all the scientifics around, Nationalism and hence, riflemen, are not something I look forward too. But as it stands now, we are using Knights rather well!

First, techs: I have done a little trading and now just 6 techs away from IA. With the world at war I have solely bought techs with GPT including some sort of alliance. AI is generaly a treatybreaker so it got me several techs quite cheap. The biggest fish was undoubtly Education, whcih I bought for 110gpt and 3 gold from France, with an MA vs the Iroquois. A single turn later Joan signed peace with them, netting me the tech for 3 gold!
I instantly bought Banking (our goal!!!) from Joan the next turn for 150 gpt and a renewed MA vs the Iro's! Needless to say, that in my position, France and Iro need to be at war ALL the time.
Next, India lacked banking and that gave me Gunpowder, with me throwing in 3 gpt.

We are building Banks, which is good, since I need cash, which also sucks, because I need Knights. For now, I will desperately try to minimize losses.
The Homelands, notice a MAYAN boat in the far south, the fishy Frenchman is Mapping my Island!!!

93.31KB

I would never do that!!! That is my territory Sky...

29.91KB

Great fish here btw, oh is that a mayan town?

The peacefull area has been just that for ages. Naturally Hiawattha tried to break this peaceful time but a brave spear defeated the unwelcome Mounted warrior landed near the capitol! Thank god that was not a knight...
The best news of the day is perhaps that the middle island is MINE!

71.38KB

I have wiped out every last Iro settlement on the middle island and last turn I razed two large cities
The next turn will be very very important as the battle for the last city before the real Iro homeland gave victory but also left the defence a bit open.
I must hold on there ONE more turn and then a fortress and later barricade will provide enough defence.

25.65KB

The musketman in a fortress guards 2 knigts and a spear. Further behind, hopefully are not too may fast units. The elite knight of mine guards 3 3hpknight, a 3hp pike, a 4hp pike, 2 MI, a sword and two horses. Further behind are the artilery with MI/knights/Pikes and some Jags. Next turn, the former stack desperately needs to hold the position.
The plan is to keep the Iro at bay as long as the homelands are doing banks. Once the financial situation is up and running, I will start to produce mili again. There is no way I will considder peace with the Iro yet, I will need to whipe them out completely...all of them.

For a conclusion some standard screenies:
the minimap,

12.51KB

And the F11, I am still last in pop...damnit. On the bright side, out of a GA for ages now, I am still second in MFG!

19.17KB

Again, all comments and questions are welcome!

Old 03-03-2004, 13:21   #28
Aggie
Emperor

Brilliant job Amazing that you are able to push a strong civ like the Iroquois back. Also, the F11 looks very good!
Old 03-03-2004, 13:55   #29
Kingreno

Thx Aggie

Some MSNrequested shots and great news on the last turn, the stack survived. All knights are hurt and elite, one of the MI died. No problemo!!
Hiawatthe was even knid enough to settle ON THE FORTRESS!!! thus reducing max defence there!!

21.43KB

Of course, I settled too;

35.5KB

The town will hold, with 14 artillerytype units and 14 knights as well as some smaller stuff.

The Iroquois homeland, a study of invasion:

67.66KB

And to the north of that, Iro-Franco wars:

82.83KB

Old 05-03-2004, 19:31   #30
Kingreno

)Short update:

The bad news: Several AI's have entered the Industrial Age. Also, Skyfish is following them there!!!
But on side note, a very very good accomplishment indeed! I am already proud of what he (and me too a little) has done so far! It is an honor to play so fine an "opponent".
I think this game brings many new lessons to us both, and perhaps you lurkers as well. Knowing that even on sid, al be it with good starts (for the AI as well!!!) it is possible to win!

And now, the worst news. India declared war on Egypt and thus My trade route to ghandi was lost....
The morons recieved Ivory from me and now everyone is talking about the untrustworthy Aztecs... If they ever gonna fix something they better fix this. THEY broke the route by going to war. IT SUCKS!!!!!!
Not only does this very much limit my gpt for tech deals (well, at least the civs at war with gandhi do not mind my "betrayal"), it also means that other civs attitudes have worsened a lot towards me. And there, the razing of several size 12 Iroquois cities didn't make them happy as well. I must now seriously look out for an invasion of some kind when some AI has some units to spare.

For this very unfortunate turn of events the Aztecs have called upon their best to perform above duty and that brings us to the good news of the day:

63.67KB

My second leader after soooo many elite victories. I used him for the Heroic Epic in an Isthmustown, thus increasing much needed local culture. Whether it was wise to that is debatable. I could have built the Epic in Tenochtitlan, requiring 9 turns, but I simply needed the bank there as well (7 turns), to get an extra 15 gpt. So now, it is bank in tenochtitlan and one leader used for the Epic. But I do not fear, I have more and more Elites every turn.

France has Cav now and that narrows the landgrabbingwindow I have. 10 settlers and hordes of knights are making extra hours in getting to the front. Next Target: Oil springs (and its load of culture).