Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 11-08-2007, 23:18   #1
Robboo
King

Default playing pitboss with peopel you dont know...

NEVER AGAIN

So a few of us are isolated away form others as this game is a continents terra type map.

I noticed my neighbors gnp was crap. Never talked to the guy until this game. I get a message..." hey I know I cant win since this is my first multiplayer game, so I decided to just go to war." In walks about 35 to 40 units...no wonder his gnp is crap his cost must be insane. My guess is he is still in civ3 mode of large stacks.

I find this to be very poor sportsmanship and down right crappy game play. He essentially just wants to fight so instead of playing a PBEM or a AI game joins a pitboss to mess up the game for others.( not always war mind you) Why the hell do you start a game if you dont plan on winning. Go play the AI.

I have more advanced tech but just not enough of them to kill 35 plus units. Regardless I may not give him the pleasure in fighting and just get kicked to AI. I have wasted enough time with it.

Anyway am I the only one that sees this as a problem.
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 23:27   #2
Whomp
King

I guess the question is if he has a huge military why not use it and then develop a great GNP? What's the downside? I'm surprised more people don't use that strategy tbh.
Old 12-08-2007, 00:24   #3
BCLG100
Deity

its the strategy i use in pretty much every AI game, bum rush a few civs and steal anything worth taking in that civ go down to less than nothing gnp and build it up.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 00:34   #4
grahamiam
Emperor

imho, it's a valid tactic to go hammer on your nearest neighbor, especially if he seems to be running away tech-wise. besides, you should have noticed his power graph.
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:03   #5
Robi D
King

Ehat were you doing not looking at the power graph. People don't go out build that many units for defence

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:33   #6
Robboo
King

I was close to him in power..only my power wasn't in units but in forges and techs. One crossbow cant take out 5 axes before it gets over run. Thats just a rough ratio. He has nothing stronger than axes(so far) with cat support. I have crossbows and will rush longbows for city defense BUT I just dont see me lasting long.

My problem wasnt in the tactic my problem was in the reasoning. I cant win so I will make sure you cant either. Thats why it sucks.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:37   #7
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Gotta give you a point on 'it's the reasoning that sucks'. I'm playing in a civ3 PBEM where I have a hat to pull for one of the civs, the guy took over in a really weak spot and he has had the "I'll play my cards and (probably) lose in the end, but I'll have done something constructive" attitude which I must say is really awesome. The opposite, here, isn't
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 07:07   #8
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I just try not to play with some unknown people.

However, he did an OK thing IMO. Both from sportsmanship point and game play point. He could have recovered after defeating you and grabbing all your lands. At least, there were a chance. Whereas in your case, there were no chance since you would end up dead.

On the other hand, switching yourself to an AI is a bad move from sportsmanship point IMO. Unless of course, you don't have physically enough time to play.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:10   #9
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

My problem wasnt in the tactic my problem was in the reasoning. I cant win so I will make sure you cant either. Thats why it sucks.
Also a valid reason IMHO. If you can't win then at least try to influence the game, and if cripling someone bad enough that he can't win the game either is the only thing you can do, then do that. Then at least you've played...
Old 12-08-2007, 16:07   #10
Robboo
King

yeah i wont drop it...I just reasonable had a good shot at winning. The other 4 civs are locked in a grinding war and I was teching along and playing defensive. HOnestly I felt sorry for the guy and didnt attack earlier with him playing his first game...I should have killed him first and let him go start his second game.