Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Skyfish's Fish in the Sky
Home

Old 15-01-2004, 23:48   #61
Skyfish

Quote:
quote:He could spend more than a day on a turn with just minor breaks and some sleep.
Sounds exactly like my mate Kemal

Thanks Paal it would be nice if I could be much luckier than him so that he would lose his first game ever
Old 21-01-2004, 15:15   #62
Skyfish

Just a quick update so that Kemal thinks something is happening on my continent

The war is going great, I now have 4 or 5 Elite horses and the main cities are taken, I am now slowing down and its big leader-fishing time....

Libraries are up in the 1st ring river cities, I have changed my build orders from Libraries to Acqueduct in the 1st ring cites that need it (at least 4 ) Its the first time I do that but when they will grow fluently when they reach size 6, I noticed my growth was quite stunted I my anarres game.
I can not max research right now Theology is taking 19 turns, so I am making cash, I got 2 luxes from America so my lux rate is 0% (120gpt).

Kemal drew a 6-turn anarchy and is now Republic, he has not lost any city from the wars and just last turn he bought Peace with Carthage and an alliance vs me. Big deal !
More worrying is that he is now in Middle Age and was 4 techs behind last turn, since he is only at peace with Carthage I have no idea how he pulled that one : it must at least have cost him huge amounts of money...Am not gonna buy Carth back vs him as this would certainly free up tons of gpt for him ! Grrrrr....

The Arabs and Indians are still at war with him. All additional delay to get contact with the other continent is good.
The first big set back of the game just happened but I was ready I have no garrisons in any American city (except where a unit ends in there after an attack).

Old 21-01-2004, 15:45   #63
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Looking good Sky, about the garrisoning of units in a captured city. You say you only leave a unit in a city when it ends in the city after an attack. Afaik however a city will never flip the first turn after being conquered. So I always stack as many units as possible in a city to get all as much resistance down as possible and vacate the next turn.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2004, 16:24   #64
Skyfish

Yes I know about that I was just trying to prevent wise-ass comments from ppl saying
"Hey why do you just have a horse in Seattle if you dont keep garrisons ?"
Well that didnt work too good did it ?

In general this is a very good tip PP its just that I have planned my attack vs the Americans as a very quick Blitz
I intend to totally destroy them quite soon (thats my way of dealing with Resistance )
So as you can see on the picture above my horses went on to take Detroit instead of parking in Seattle.
It s only one turn but when you apply it to all the captured cites it
makes a difference. In 6 turns, I captured Pyramids and 6 or 7 cities I believe.
Old 21-01-2004, 16:40   #65
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I agree with you that you don't want to this in a fast war. You can however use your troops that are too wounded to contribute to the next attack.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 17:09   #66
Skyfish

Just a very quick update to say we're on turn 100 and the plan is "on track"
Take a look :

Old 09-02-2004, 17:03   #67
Skyfish

Something went extremely wrong in this game...I miscalculated the turns (I think) and Kemal got contact with korea 1 turn
before I thought it was possible
It s a huge mistake on my part, he turned the whole continent vs me of course but thats not the problem, there was a 2fer opportunity open for me and I missed it because of that, now he is back to level on techs
I am still totally puzzled on how this happened, I need to go back home and recreate the situation in the editor to be certain
what actually went wrong.

At least this bit of bad news was compensated by the fact that I got a 2nd leader !!!
Just when I was running out of American units now I have easy pickings with poor Korean warriors...

This one is my S2L2 : Sipahi Special Leonardo Leader
Notice how I have overtaken Kemal in score again...

Old 23-03-2004, 22:49   #68
Skyfish

Sorry for the lack of news but, believe it or not,
since the last update we have only played 9 turns

Kemal's been busy studying and I have more and more problem playing PTW

I am feeling very uninspired suddenly in this game, I usually love to find a good plan and execute
but here now that I have a second core up and running, I am severely hesitating as to what to do next

Looking closely at Kemals' land he has tons of coastal cities where he could already be heavily building up naval units.
I decided not to have too many coastal cities so he cant damage me too much amphibiously
but I still need some to sink some of his Zerk-loaded boats...
since I tried to achieve both plans I achieved none

Also the game is just a ping-pong every 6 turns of MAs vs MAs and efforts to limit those
have been unfruitful. I hate those games, its boring, predictible
and brings absolutely nothing to the game.
Am not far from resigning because the game is just no fun anymore...

Now for an update: I am still the tech leader, my AIs are much more powerful than his.
When he got Korea and Babylon to ally vs me it resulted in a second Great Leader as you can see on the previous post,
so when I could turn the alliances vs him again a few turns later I got Engineering and Invention for Theology
I had researched in the mean time.

I am in definite need of help : what should I do ?
1-Stay in the tech lead and go as fast as possible towards Rifles and better ships ?
2- build up a huge army of Horses to then upgrade to Sipahis in around 20 to 30 turns
when Mil Trad will be available ?
3- Upgrade to Knights and attack Korea now ?
4- Build up huge defenses preparing for the Zerks attack ?
5- Resign (its a really harrowing game, we are both playing to the limit and on the chat Kemal also
complains the game is real difficult...)

Here are some pix :

Old 23-03-2004, 23:03   #69
anarres
anarchist butcher

I guess your best chance is to go for Sipahi and to build a big fleet to defend yourself from the Zerks...
Old 29-03-2004, 17:21   #70
Matrix
Administrator

I don't see why you cannot win this game, Skyfish. Seems like you're not only on the lead, but also you have much potential. You can develop while Kemal is occupied with these wars.