the joys of not being married

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 13:23   #12
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
I can't seem to be bothered by a new Civ5. Already two years I have stopped playing Civ anyway.
Some fansite we are...

I can't really say I'm eagerly awaiting a Civ5. Of course it would be interesting to see what it will look like and what new features it'll have, but I'm much more content with Civ4 now than I was with Civ2 and Civ3 back then.

My biggest wish is playing on a 2D map, but I don't think that'll ever happen for marketing purposes...
Old 04-06-2009, 13:43   #13
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
I garee!

But I think we shouldn't complain that much. Are there other games where things are better?

Let's get real: The investment in CiV + WL + BtS is 120 euros. For that, you can play CiV for about 4 or 5 years, every day, every night, every hour, every minute, with others if you like. The alternative for that money is buying a bouquet of roses and a fancy meal for two, which might result in a good blowjob......, just once.
I totally garee that the price of games isn't bad at all (provided it is a good game with decent replay value) and with the replay value civ gets you the price actually is amazing. I don't go out to the pub that often any more but 120 euro's will last me 2 nights max, civ4 + addons have lasted me a lot longer.

I do wonder how you manage to get roses and a decent meal for 2 for 120 euro's. Both roses and decent meals tend to cost you nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Some fansite we are...

I can't really say I'm eagerly awaiting a Civ5. Of course it would be interesting to see what it will look like and what new features it'll have, but I'm much more content with Civ4 now than I was with Civ2 and Civ3 back then.

My biggest wish is playing on a 2D map, but I don't think that'll ever happen for marketing purposes...
I don't see why telling the truth collides with being a fansite. After all Col2 is a game with broken mechanics (take the way the AI handles the REF) and I don't think we'll ever see a patch for that. In fact I don't think we'll ever see a patch for col period.

Same for the scientific golden age of C3C, afaik it was never fixed. We did pay for it however.

To be clear: I love Civ, it's one of the best games out there and has been ever since Civ1. But Firaxis has a tendency to let the loyal Civ community do their QA testing and even then they sometimes fail to fix things.

I think that's sad.

And calling Col 'a big hit' is telling more about sales figures than about game quality. And I seriously doubt if sales have been so good anyway. When I walk into my game store the game has been moved to the bottom shelve a long time ago already.

And for playing on a 2D map: Yes, please give us our 2D maps back!! We hardcore civ geeks don't care about 3D, we care about gameplay. If we'd like 3D we'd buy a Xbox/PS3 and play some FPS on that.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 14:49   #14
Matrix
Administrator

Sorry, but I think it's just a bit silly to be an active member of a Civ-fansite and not even care about a new version of Civ. What brought you here then?

As for the rest of your critics I generally agree. One important notification though is that the Civ-community is small and noisy, but not always representative for the average Civ-player. Most players don't even notice all those bugs that we are so much wound up about. Civ-fans are very hard to please.
Old 04-06-2009, 15:30   #15
socralynnek

I agree with Civ4 being good. I didn't have time to play it as much as I did with Civ3 but I think it was good when I first got it (which was after the first vanilla patch) and it is still great now.

You can skip the first expansion normally, so for 70 Euros (at least that is what I paid and it wasn't some special offer), you get a lot. (Even if I add the Euros spent on Col to that, it is still well invested)

And I think there are some companies with better Bug fixing but a lot with worse. Even for less complex games than Civ. Was expecting more from Col, but with Civ I am still pleased (oh, and btw, I think especially after Bts .08(?) the AI is really good)

So personally I don't need Civ5 soon, because Civ4 is still great. Surely there is still enough room left for improvements but then I am complaining on a high level.
Old 04-06-2009, 15:39   #16
barbu1977
Emperor

I'd also like the game to have a low 2D graphic mode.

I'd hate to upgrade my PC just to play it, but I will probably don't have the choice.

But to me, civ4 was a bit too complex for the casual player that I've became. Too many civs, units, wonders, strategies. I wonder if civ5 will be smoother. Probably not.
Old 04-06-2009, 15:40   #17
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Sorry, but I think it's just a bit silly to be an active member of a Civ-fansite and not even care about a new version of Civ.
It's not caring. It's more confidence that Firaxis will ship a broken product and make you pay again for a fixed product. There's nothing much with the game (although there are better civ games, like galciv2), but there's a lot wrong with the company.
Old 04-06-2009, 18:34   #18
BCLG100
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbu1977 View Post

I'd hate to upgrade my PC just to play it, but I will probably don't have the choice.
This is why i don't feel the same excitment, civ always seemed to me as being a game which wasn't dependent on a super brilliant computer but even at the lowest specs civ4 barely ran on my comp and whilst i appreciate that my comp is becoming a fossil it is only 5 or 6 years old. I don't think the answer to civ is to make it flashier and better looking, a game like civ is not really dependent on a nice interface to be good but rather the game itself. Those who play for the scenary etc can go play halo and the like!

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 19:21   #19
Socrates
Emperor

Quote:
Some fansite we are...
Yes we are fans, but not dumb fans. People here have always shown some better sense of critics than average.

Quote:
Sorry, but I think it's just a bit silly to be an active member of a Civ-fansite and not even care about a new version of Civ. What brought you here then?
Well, I'm not that active here anyway, precisely. Let's say I'm doing OT only. What brought me here is the Civ3 duels that I wanted to do as well, and the presence of very good Civ players (and friendly contacts), all of that in a tiny community that suited me fine. But we all change, and Civ isn't part of my life anymore (doesn't mean "ever" BTW).

As for Civ5, it's not as if I didn't give a fuck at all. They can make one but I won't be crazy about it, and probably won't buy it. I'll check the news about it from time to time, because it's the series I've played most by far and I'm curious to see the evolution. But I am not waiting for Civ5.

Also, as all of you, burn da 3D !
Old 09-06-2009, 08:27   #20
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I noticed a rather old poll on the firaxis website which had a question on graphics:

Quote:

4. Graphics or Gameplay?
Code:

Percent Answer
2%       It’s gotta be pretty
51%     Balance is the key
47%     Who cares about graphics?
Imo this shows most Civ players (which I assume are the largest chunk of Firaxis game buyers/site visitors) don't value graphics as much as say the FPS crowd.

The poll is very old (asking if you have a PS2 or an Xbox perhaps ) but looking back it's an interesting poll knowing Firaxis develeped Civ-Rev and Civ-Col. You can see they were playing with these ideas a long time ago already.

http://www.firaxis.com/community/polls.php
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote