Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 20-10-2008, 19:01   #11
NHJ
Chieftain

My start is pretty average, not very good, but I've had worse. From what I've read here, this is true for most people in the game.
Old 20-10-2008, 19:29   #12
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

Quote:
There is desert where there supposed to be flood plains.
This concerns me because I had a similar issue in The Monk game I made, i.e. I was 100% sure two tiles were floodplains next to a river appeared not to be so after generating the map from the WBS. Upon checking the WBS later it was correct there and for some reason also correctly picked up the second time.

In other words it seems that the map is not always correctly generated from the WBS.

I propose as Matrix did to ask Mauer to either repair the current map or make a new one AND have it checked by someone else (we did the same with the RtW games and it was common practice in the Civ III PBEM era). RikMeleet is the most experienced mapmaker we have not participating in the game.
Old 20-10-2008, 21:13   #13
Rik Meleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beam View Post
(..) RikMeleet is the most experienced mapmaker we have not participating in the game.
But not experienced at all. Total cIV maps made or editted so far: 0.
Old 20-10-2008, 22:28   #14
mauer
King

I definitely could have made the map better. I did do just what I was asked though, which was to try and get the starting positions pretty par. In hindsight I should have taken my own measures though and made the map so that the entire game would be enjoyable. If you guys don't mind being guinea pigs for me, then I'll give a redo map a go. Just say the word and I'll start working on it.
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 23:08   #15
Beam
c00l b33r

Mauer, I Just consulted with Matrix over the phone and we give the word and our support for you doing a remake of the map. We also strongly recommend a check of the map as a back-up. If Rik is uncomfy we can help to find another person to check and if you know someone doing the check that's oki as well.

My main issue is that Firaxis still isn't capable of generating off-the-shelf maps for MP games and therefore we need fellow site familiars to make and check the maps for MP. The art of Mapmaking imo can only be learned by doing and everybody willing to invest some time there is highly appreciated!

The current game will be stopped if there are no objections btw.
Old 20-10-2008, 23:20   #16
mauer
King

Ok, I'll start working on it right now. I'll try and not rush myself on it to make sure I get it right. Any other parameters?

EDIT: I think I'm either done or about done. I played through about 50 turns or so with one of the civs and opened up WB to take a peek. Looks like all is well, but if you guys have someone in mind to double check me then let me know.

Last edited by mauer; 21-10-2008 at 02:18.
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 17:38   #17
BCLG100
Deity

I don't mind checking the map, i've made quite a few now. However as im playing it would mean we'd have to open the map for all to check.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2008, 20:37   #18
Beam
c00l b33r

I got one PM request left. If we can not find a ppl to do the check we can either do it ourselves (but then the excitement of exploration is pretty much gone) or just get it started.
Old 21-10-2008, 22:32   #19
Matrix
Administrator

Please don't let us see the map! That takes a lot of fun out of the game! I don't want people to know where the oil is in the classical era.
Old 21-10-2008, 22:58   #20
Stapel
Emperor

I'll volunteer to check things out!

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote