Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Front Page News
Home

Old 03-08-2010, 10:53   #1
Shabbaman
Administrator

Default New Civilization boardgame announced!

I just found this:

Quote:
Civilization: The Board Game

Designed by Kevin Wilson, Civilization: The Board Game is inspired by the legendary video game series created by Sid Meier. Players are tasked with guiding an entire civilization throughout the ages, taking ownership of your people’s technology, economy, culture, and military, as well as all the choices that go along with them. There are four different paths to victory, and each is riddled with opposition.

In Civilization: The Board Game, 2-4 players take on the roles of famous leaders in charge of historical civilizations, each with their own abilities. Players will be able to explore a module game board, build cities and buildings, fight battles, research powerful technology, and attract great people by advancing their culture. No matter what your play style is, there is a civilization for you!
Now, I already own two Civ board games that are pretty complex. That doesn't mean they're not fun, but if you want to enjoy it you need a game group that is familiar with the rules. A new game should be easy to learn to be worth picking up, but then I'm afraid it's just too simple. If you want simple, just play Catan. And if I buy it the box will most likely end up with some guy that moves to the arctic anyway
Old 03-08-2010, 11:21   #2
Darkness

This sounds interesting.

I have the oldest Civilization boardgame, which is a fun game, but it takes so damn long and it is extremely complicated for new players. Now I don't mind complicated and long games, but that does make it very hard to find people to play it with....
Old 03-08-2010, 14:12   #3
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
And if I buy it the box will most likely end up with some guy that moves to the arctic anyway
I have no idea what you're talking about!

(I'm back for quite a while already...)
Old 03-08-2010, 14:48   #4
Shabbaman
Administrator

You still live near the arctic circle from my point of view
Old 03-08-2010, 16:00   #5
Matrix
Administrator

[zucht] Randstedelingen...
Old 03-08-2010, 16:19   #6
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
[zucht] Randstedelingen...
[zucht] Poolcirkeldorpelingen...

Old 03-08-2010, 16:39   #7
barbu1977
Emperor

I've never player the 2 previous implementations of the video games. However, I played "Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization" that was realy a great game. However, it does not feel like the videogame (it does not have a map).

4 hours that is the most I can afford to spend on a board game nowdays (put the kids to bed, go play a game and get a couple hours of sleep) . Last week, I've played a 10 hour game (Twilight Imperium) and that was way too mutch familly management.

This one advertizes for 2-4 hours and 2-4 players. That could be a good fit as I have 2-3 board game friends that played some Civ in the past.
Old 03-08-2010, 16:50   #8
Matrix
Administrator

The board game that came out after Civ3 rules all the way. I have played it many times with a group of friends who also love it. We even altered the rules a bit, because we found it ways to exploit it otherwise. The downside is: to really enjoy it, it does require a full day to play it (similar to Diplomacy), because the extended rules are way superior over the standard rules.