Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Beorn's Wintry Cavern
Home

Old 11-09-2007, 21:44   #1
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Default ***Spoiler*** Babe vs Council deathmatch

INCOMING!

Niklas, cubsfan, Council roster list ...

zyxy
Aigburth
Niklas
peter grimes
fe3333au
Nikodemus
AutomatedTeller
General_W
Paul#42
tomasjj
donsig
TheLoneMan
dl123654
tonyf12
Judge Dredd
sirdanilot
cubsfan6506
Hasdrubal Barca

... bug off!!
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:51   #2
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Here's the start shots:

My start plan is in, if anyone wants to give it a shot. I had a couple fast warriors in mind for scouting, then a small spear/archer contingent for raiding (maybe just spears though an archer or two will make it more threatening) and then a buttload of warriors for massively hysterical upgrades into legions. Hopefully there is Iron to my SouthWest so I can plant a town on the hill SW of my FPs and not connect it to my capital. It would be a convenient spot to send warriors to.

And the excel sheet - manually rename it to .xls, I can't logon to my university ftp and upload it properly.

Download Attachment: [img]icon_paperclip.gif[/img] CageStartPlan.txt
114.08 KB
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:58   #3
Beorn
Disabled Vet

By turn 54 this will turn in 2 legions 1 settler every 5 turns. We will rely heavily on iron though, but even then 2 warriors are very swappable to an archer.

They are Aztecs and Sumerians. They have double AGR, SCI and MIL so WC, BW, Pots. 1-1-2 and 1-2-1 UU's that will make excellent early pillage units for guerilla. We start with Alpha, Pots, WC: 1 useless tech rather than 1 useless trait. 2 big 3 offense UU's.

Our strategy is to assume they want to jag rush our butts, so we'll need to make home spears and settle short distances. We'll want to send a small party, very early (Turn 25-32 units + stray scouts), to their places to disrtupt their guerilla tactics and force them to fight at their places. Ideally we even pillage a few places.

Then it's massing legions and mounted warriors. Play the numbers card. We both are commercial, they both are AGR so they'll have more pop, we'll have better pop. They have a (nearly) useless trait in SCI, which only gives them BW - and they have no IW UU.

We'll see how this plays and figure out how/when to attack, but we need to focus on getting our edge up on them ASAP: our devastating UU's.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:15   #4
Whomp
King

Very good. Let's keep this spoiler active at CDZ.
Old 23-09-2007, 04:25   #5
Beorn
Disabled Vet

I just had a flash, while talking about another PBEM, that in PBEM's you get your tile improvements 2 IBT's before completion, not just 1 (this also is valid for chops). So I re-did my spreadsheet and found a way to cut turns off growth. I'd gain 1 reg warrior at the cost of a vet spear but then my settlers would all come 3+ turns earlier which is a huge lot on the scale of an empire

So just in case, I figured I'd share it here and offer a spreadsheet work-up of your area - just tell me what you want to build around and I'll try to cook something for you if you want.
Old 23-09-2007, 05:35   #6
Whomp
King

I'm not sure what to expect from a small map. Two warriors or three? If two then a settler next would be prudent.
Do you need me to post another picture?
Old 23-09-2007, 05:49   #7
Beorn
Disabled Vet

A settler on the first convenient growth is what I tend to do, hence the spreadsheet. I'll do it on growth to 4 because of the added warriors. I'm definitely leaving one at home. Then the bigger we get the better, but with vet warriors or spears in between. I do suggest you do not build a granary until you have 5fpt/10spt size 5 with a barrack. Unless they go farmer's gambit (in which case our spearmen trekking party will do a lot of doubleplusungood to them), we'll need to be well geared up.

My first city will do a barrack first if we don't spot anyone too close-by. Second city will go into food chores, hopefully a 4 or 2 turn worker factory. Probably 2-turn with the ludicrous amount of BG.

As for the picture, I have your password and your save every time around so I just open it when I want to get a snapshot.
Old 25-09-2007, 02:53   #8
Whomp
King

I met your warrior on the mountain. I think I should go to rax next too since I'm 10 away from wheel and horses. From there I can start a settler or warrior I'd think.

Should you send me BW so I can work on spears instead?
Old 25-09-2007, 03:37   #9
Beorn
Disabled Vet

I'll send you WC for sure, BW is not yet in the bin. We'll need both, probably 50/50 (overdoing spears) so that we have good cover against fog jags and we can go around doing some pillage.

Btw I'm less and less sure about doing 0 research after the basic unit techs. Monarchy might be worth our while. They don't have Alpha so we might have a good shot at Philo for Poly. Emperor tiny tech costs will probably warrant high speed research for monarchy too. We'll see how tech costs compare to our development in income I guess, but they may try to stall game to knights (where the odds are evened out). Getting caught unprepared could hurt a lot.
Old 08-10-2007, 00:24   #10
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Turn 16, F11 intel:

* Both of them are AGR but neither grew as fast as Whomp to 4. Mined cows? Forests?
* Cubsfan got a settler first, went from size 3 to size 1, so it wasn't on growth but he probably had time for an EW first. Doubtful he'd have two.
* Niklas is getting 7 shields at size 3, he definitely mined his cow and working a forest or something.

MM-wise, we have a big green light right here.