Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 11-07-2005, 19:47   #1
Socrates
Emperor

Default CDZ's Google maps

Oh yeah I'm so bored !!

This is the thread for Google maps, as I see there is some fun going on at CFC. But it's not about guessing, it's about posting YOUR Google map (where you live). Do it as you want, but the purpose is to know where you roughly live, with possible landmarks in the picture... I'll start with me of course.

114.13*KB

Some quick explanation now. I live somewhere inside the red circle at the top left of the pic (damn this jpg-ing feature). That is not in Paris, because I circled the city of Paris in light blue (roughly the "Périphérique", ie. the kind of motorway going around the city). For those not very familiar with Paris, I circled some landmarks in yellow. From left to right : la Défense (business center, the largest one in France), la Tour Eiffel (south), l'Arc de Triomphe (north), la Tour Montparnasse (highest skyscraper), l'Opéra Garnier (north), le Musée du Louvre (south), la Cathédrale Notre-Dame, le Stade de France (where we were world champions ), la Bibliothèque François Mitterrand (the 4 open "books"), le Cimetière du Père-Lachaise (Jim Morrison is buried there). A lot more to tell, but that'll do for now.

I was also able to locate Breda ; I had to follow the train line from Roosendaal, but was also helped by a standard map to be sure. YOUR TURN !!!
Old 11-07-2005, 21:13   #2
barbu1977
Emperor

I seem to always like the "so I'm bored thread"

Here you go with where I live in the suburbs of Montreal:

93.38*KB

For those not knowing, Montreal is on an island.
The google arrow is Where I live in Brossard, on the other side of the St-Lawrence river. In pink "Donwntown Montreal"is a 15 minutes by car an 20 minutes by bus.
In green, the old city with most buildings dating from the early 1800's.
In teal, the Mont-Royal, a 225 meter montain in the city.
In read, the Canal Lachine, finished in 1824, 13 km long with a 14m drop, permitited boats to go to the great lakes, before that they where stoped by rapids on the St-Lawrence.
In yellow, the onlympic stadium, home of the 1976 olympic games (finished in 1989)
And in white, the two islands used for the 1967 world fair. One of the island is man made and used the earth from the subway that was dug around the same time.

Old 11-07-2005, 21:34   #3
Whomp
King

Barbu-- I am thinking of taking my girlfriend to Montreal for her birthday. Coldplay is in town the 3rd and I would stay through the 6th. Anything I should absolutely do when I'm there? She lived in Paris for 3 years so she speaks pretty good French.

I will post a pic of Chicago when I get home.
Old 11-07-2005, 21:37   #4
barbu1977
Emperor

Quote:
quote:la Tour Montparnasse (highest skyscraper)
One of the best reason to go in the obsevratoire of la Tour Montparnasse is that it's the only view of Paris where you don't actualy see it.
Old 11-07-2005, 21:57   #5
Kingreno

Nice idea Krys!

My hometown of Eindhoven, pic is about 15 Kilometers wide.

76.84*KB

Left to Right:

-My Work
-Landmark: The Evoluon (google it if it is unknown)
-My House!
-Landmark: The PSV-Eindhoven Stadium
-My former House, where Schip still lives.

Anyone up for a "guess where this is thread"? I vaguely saw one on CFC as well but we can start one here. If someone thinks this is okay please begin one, preferably not in this thread, the first one to guess it can do his/hers after that.
Old 11-07-2005, 22:16   #6
Mistfit
King

Traverse City Michigan is where I work.

Cadillac Michigan is where I live.

It's about a 42 Min drive each way.

The large water to the NW is Lake Michigan
Old 11-07-2005, 22:25   #7
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

This is Moscow. It does not fit very well on the scale which Google has. The city is about 40km in diameter without suburbs which actually count as city as well. The place where I live is red dot. Downtown (Kremlin and stuff) is green ellipse and blue ellipse is Moscow University main campus. From my place to downtown is about 50 minutes by subway and to University is about 1 hour 20 minutes. It is possible to drive but not during rush hour and it takes about 30 minutes.

123.78KB

And this is the actual location of the house. It is a 22-floor-high building almost on the channel beach across the Northern City Port. All parks and green on both sides. Nice place. Dunno what I'm doing in that Houston city .

121.95KB

Houston view is coming, cannot find Orenburg, it is not on the maps apparently. Or I'm doing something wrong here.
Old 11-07-2005, 22:34   #8
Whomp
King

Mistfit--You forgot to mention beautiful Glen Lake and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park further west!
Old 11-07-2005, 22:47   #9
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Well, finally got that. There is no maximal zoom though for Orenburg region.

The city stands on Ural river which is then joined by Sakmara river to the west of the actual city. Both rivers are labeled and their flow direction is marked with arrows. Ural is the border between Europe and Asia. I was born in Asia btw, a couple of hundred meters from the border.

Downtown is marked with red ellipse and house where I lived with black dot. It stands right in the middle of a park. The city is about 15 km in diameter.

160.62 KB
Old 11-07-2005, 23:06   #10
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Ok, here is Houston. Red is downtown. Blue is Medical Center, google "drop" is my work. Black dot in the low left corner (southwest) is my apartment complex. It is about 7 miles from there to work, 15-10 minute drive.

South from the Medical Center in Reliant Stadium where infamous rodeo take place in end February/early March.

174.63KB

And here is the work. Place is not so bad except for horrible air quality and traffic and construction and it gets constantly flooded. Little lake to the north-east in the city park near the zoo with boat and train rides and golf course. Building with a cross on top is one of a dozen hospitals. This one is the biggest though and it is actually a chopper landing mark on the roof.

191.06KB