Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > SP challenges forum
Home

Old 24-11-2003, 16:39   #1
digger760
King

Default Mesopotamia spoiler & discussion thread

Completed Mesopotamia Conquest Emperor level, played as Egypt, VP win gained on building the last of the 7 wonders.
Mesopotamia Scenario is easy!!!

Emperor wins for me, until now, have only been on tiny, archipelago maps, were a win can be the result of one or two crucial battles early on. Thus I put my wins on Emperor so far down to the RNG.

This win was easy and on a large continetal style map, the AI only once threated my home land, and i managed to pick of an AI stack of 6 Enkindu warriors and 4 archers, with 2 spears and 2 archers.

I built 4 out of the 7 wonders, from scratch (and captured a 5th). But this is Emperor level and i rarely get many wonders at that level, even from pre-builds.

Early on in the game when i established embassies, the AI capitals had no city improvements at all. This might explain why i was able to build all those wonders. With improvements i had cities producing 30+ sheilds, thus was able to build most wonders in 10-15 turns from scratch.

Most of the units have weaker defense values then attack values. There fore making it easy to pick off an attackers SOD on your turf. The AI threw hundreds of units at me and i was able to counter-attack with impunity from behind city walls and rack up heaps of VP points this way.

What the hell were the Barbarians doing??? At the entrance to the second age (Iron i think) a mass uprising occured in the Sahara of somewhere between 50-100 barb horseman. But they sat there in there camps and let me pick them off..only half a dozen of them actually moved out to attack. This just delayed the in-evitable victory as it increased turn times considereably, each turn i was attacking with about 7-8 chariots, the effort of move, attack, fortity each turn was a pain.

Research: for most of the game i was able to research each tech in 4 turns and still be earning 20+ gpt. I never looked to see if the gpt bug was happening.

Early on i was enjoying the scenario but after a while it turned into a typical end game slog fest. I am sure there are bugs in this scenario in the way the AI handled barbarians and AI building of city improvments. I suspect something must have been wrong with the economic modelling as well, because there was absolutly no pressure to reseach in 4 turns, and still build military units.

EDIT: VP Screen at end of game, as you can see, i won by a considerable margin. Total Score for the hall of fame was 8192

138.13*KB

digger760
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2003, 10:50   #2
Shabbaman
Administrator

No "working" barbarians? That's a pity. 50 conscript horsemen can wreak some havoc... I see you've got no "points by location", I've noticed the same in the AoD scenario. Is this a bug or are the victory points disabled? At first I thought I did something wrong (took the effort of razing and rebuilding tenochtitlan) but now I've seen your histograph I think they're simply disabled. iirc victory points in PTW where marked on the map, and I didn't see any marks (makes sense).
btw, I took the liberty of editing your thread title (for consistency).
Old 25-11-2003, 11:07   #3
digger760
King

As far as i remember there were no location VP's, it said at the start of the game what i would score points with...unit kills (based on cost of the unit), wonders and advance(maybe based on cost of the tech but not sure). I am pretty certain that there was no points for location.

But i only captured 1 enemy city..the capital of Phonecia.

I think that final screen is standard for all scenarios and in some you get points for locations and in others you dont.
Old 25-11-2003, 11:13   #4
Shabbaman
Administrator

Yeah, maybe I'll have to start reading intro's...
Old 25-11-2003, 11:24   #5
digger760
King

but i have just started the WW2 pacific scenario and i didn'nt notice the VP conditions for that game
Old 26-11-2003, 12:05   #6
Shabbaman
Administrator

Yesterday I noticed that in the bottom right of the screen, below the 'V'ictory conditions screen button (formerly known as histograph) there's a button 'i' for the introduction screen. Useful utility for non-intro readers like me.