Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Opponent finding forum > Opponent finding forum
Home

Closed Thread

Old 22-07-2006, 10:10   #241
grs
The Nameless One

akots: there is - to my skill limit - no way to beat off three or four simultaneous smaller attackers. In the CFC pitboss I really had an excellent empire, by far the biggest military and to my recognition played the war very well (better than the individual oponents I think). What kills you is:

a) sheer numbers
b) diverting troops (since a typical CIV IV empire is somewhat spread out - maybe this was a mistake!?)
c) the tech dogpile (I was always tech par or in front, but once the tech dogpile that comes with the war lasted 20 turns, I was behind 4 techs, some of them giving my opponents the edge to easily defeat me.

You are free to do better, but I can not advise you to try
It still was a very interesting multiplayer experience, while I have to admit it is frustrating to defend at your best skill while knowing you can't win it and your empire - built over months - will crumble rather sooner than later.
Old 22-07-2006, 11:39   #242
socralynnek

ohhh, what have I done?

Now they are talking about dogpiles? I am really scared, I am just a noob multiplayer wise.

grs: You now see my second warrior, if you have your second one ready before he is there I wouldn't attack you, that would be suicide.
I thought with 2 warr vs 1warr, the chance is not that bad, but didn't expect that group dynamic to be that drastic.

Still I am unsure whether I should propose peace and say sorry now or wait til either my warrior arrives or your second one is built.
Old 22-07-2006, 20:18   #243
BCLG100
Deity

dunno ynek its upto you, i wouldnt be too bothered about you declaring on grs now (mainly because it is hampering both of your starts) so i'd carry on!

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
Old 23-07-2006, 00:08   #244
Whomp
King

grs has a point he had a excellent empire and the biggest military in a large MP game however it's not always about just that. To other players in that game he was a threat.

IMO grs and Davemcw should've made more friends out of game. If that meant sacrificing some things then so be it. I know I did. The game is won as much out of game as in game.(tm RM) in MP.

Ynnek you're fine. Do as you see fit. If that's taking out a neighbor so you can expand, I understand that. If you make peace so you have a partner I also understand that.
Old 23-07-2006, 09:26   #245
grs
The Nameless One

@socralynnek: Your imho weired move with your warrior from forest to plains brings you my capital as a gain. Better a quick death than a long and painful one. See you in another game.
Old 23-07-2006, 10:32   #246
socralynnek

I moved to the plains cause I wanted to know the rest of the territory(sure that was weird as that lowered my chances of winning when you attacked, but the odds were still on my side). If I had lost it would have been instant peace from my side.

I guess even with that second city, I won't be a big threat to many others, but we'll see.

We can play a PBEM or something like that if you want to bash me...
Old 23-07-2006, 13:51   #247
grs
The Nameless One

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by socralynnek

I moved to the plains cause I wanted to know the rest of the territory(sure that was weird as that lowered my chances of winning when you attacked, but the odds were still on my side).
Odds were 50:50, since your initial warrior does not get the free Combat I promotion.

Quote:
quote:If I had lost it would have been instant peace from my side.

I guess even with that second city, I won't be a big threat to many others, but we'll see.

We can play a PBEM or something like that if you want to bash me...
Not at the moment. I just started another game with BCLG100.
Old 23-07-2006, 13:55   #248
BCLG100
Deity

which'll probably be over shortly

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
Old 24-07-2006, 02:39   #249
Tubby Rower

hmm.. so ynnek is our games first conqueror. congrats.
Old 25-07-2006, 15:54   #250
IglooDude

I'm going to be making a serious go at getting the civstats uploader working today. It may involve taking down pitboss for a few minutes, so don't panic if it is down when you try connecting today, but I'll be doing saves prior so that no turns will be lost.