Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

View Poll Results: CDZ fall 2008 meeting
saturday the 4th of octobre 4 44.44%
saturday the 11th of octobre 2 22.22%
4th and 11th of octobre 3 33.33%
none, but I'd love to come at another date (and please share that date with us!) 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2008, 12:19   #61
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

I really enjoyed the games, didn't really mind they ended up being builder games it just showed my builder strats during midgame are utter crap.

I'm very sorry I had to kick you guys out so soon on sunday morning. As said that wasn't as planned but sometimes unexpected things happen. Apart from lacking a shower the office was quite an ok place to do this imo.

I'm all for planning a new get together. If it's planned well ahead chances are better I can organise to be there. Starting on a friday night and continuing till sunday will always be a problem for me but don't let it stop you!
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:03   #62
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
Well, that was fun, just as always. Even though this was the first time I stayed sober.

The office was an excellent hosting site, by the way. There is enough space and are enough computers to play a game with eighteen players next time. I'll post my two pictures later.

I do notice we consistently run in a number of problems and would like to do a few suggestions for next time:
Stapel should've run over me in the second game, but he had a serious problem with the turn timer. Also, I'm afraid I might be a little more skilled in handling the interface: I'm quick, hardly ever misclick, think about using stack attack, that sort of things. But that is something that ought not matter. It wouldn't matter if - sorry, here I come again - we'd play turn based. That is, agree to move in sequence in war-time. (Playing turn based during peace is just a waste of time.)

Also, I often had to cut off trading with Rik prematurely, because he was so slow (<=drunk) and I had other stuff to do.

Two major reasons not to use a turn timer. However, without one it often happens that people do not realise they are holding up the game. I don't know the solution, but I'd say no turn timer is the lesser of two evils. We might agree to consistently remind the last one playing that we're waiting for him. That way a reminder can be expected and is thus not pushy and annoying.

My other problem is that the map was way too balanced in terms of shape. Next time I prefer a normal random map. Unbalanced, yea, but now it was just a game of 'pick your target'. A normal map is much more dynamic, unpredictable and forces people to find unconventional solutions and be creative. Ironically, a lesser balanced map makes diplomacy more important!

Now it seemed like we waited forever for a climax and once finally something happened we used that as a good excuse to start a new game. The temptation to play Sim City on your own piece of land is too big.

Long text, but don't let it give you the feeling I didn't have a great time in Amersfoort! [wink smiley that can't be pictured because I already have four in this post]
Hmm,
I'm even more convinced we need turn-timers.....

Anyway, I remember from a game two years ago, the turn timer would add seconds, if you attacked. That was perfect! Why is that gone?

I'm not sure we need random maps, though not agaisnt it either. I do think even the 2nd map was too big.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote