Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 07-12-2010, 02:17   #31
Matrix
Administrator

Well, the fact that there is an option "delete account" beside "disable account" kind of says it all. They might save a copy, but for the outside world the account will be lost.
Old 21-12-2010, 23:40   #32
col
King

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/colin.fallows
Old 30-12-2014, 20:55   #33
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
I am addicted to it and was wondering who of you also have it.

http://www.facebook.com/MatrixCL
This is pretty funny, considering that you are shutting down your account and try to lure people to "the next big thing". I find this funny, because of two things:
1. FB isn't getting any scarier, it was scary to begin with. They have the rights to whatever crap you come up with on their page, and they've had it for years. This sums it up nicely: http://www.frankwatching.com/archive...-we-bang-zijn/

When you're using the internet without something like Ghostery you're insane to begin with. Oh, and Apple and Google are doing the same. Have fun using your phone.
2. Everyone has their HD full with warez and copied music, but when someone uses your photo for advertising then suddenly the shit hits the fan. The irony.

And I'm posting this here because you don't want to use FB. Better come here if you want to talk to me

P.S. Apparently the original URL of your FB-profile has been hijacked. Heh.
Old 31-12-2014, 03:37   #34
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

You can get Tor and be OK on PC. It does not work well on the phone though works fine on mac and linux. Functionality is crippled though but you should be safe.
Old 31-12-2014, 14:08   #35
Matrix
Administrator

Heh, I changed my FB URL, and now the link in the first post seems to forward to some fitness medicine company.

Indeed, it hasn't changed much. But when I posted this, I simply wasn't aware well enough about the big data thing.

I'm not leaving Facebook, by the way. I thought seen.is would be a good alternative, but it seems that's just as bad in terms of collecting and selling user data. But I think I'll create a Diaspora account in the near future.

"Everyone has their HD full with warez and copied music, but when someone uses your photo for advertising then suddenly the shit hits the fan. The irony."
These warez and music are made to be used and listen to. If you pay for the ware at some point or go to a concert, IMO you're not doing anything wrong. The personal photo's where meant to be shared with friends and not the entire world. Subtle but key difference.

The Pirate Party in Finland is using Facebook a lot too, which is more ironic, I would say. But their defense is that we simply want to reach as many people as possible, plus that our information and meetings may be known by anyone. By as many as possible even.

Lastly, Birgitta Jónsdóttir, the leader of the Icelandic Pirate Party: "Iceland should become for information what Switzerland is for money." I like that idea.
Old 31-12-2014, 14:54   #36
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
These warez and music are made to be used and listen to. If you pay for the ware at some point or go to a concert, IMO you're not doing anything wrong. The personal photo's where meant to be shared with friends and not the entire world. Subtle but key difference.
Photos are meant to be watched at. Movies and music aren't made to be used by the entire world either; they're intended for people who pay for them. To make matters worse, copyright law is pretty clear, where the rights to your photos on FB are ambiguous at best (because FB clearly has the rights and has had it for years, but I have serious doubt that it doesn't conflict with privacy rights... thus, ambiguous). But "intent" isn't on your side, it's with the big corporations. Hence, irony.

Not that I think you're wrong, it's stupid, and needs to change. I agree with you. But in the current context, you/we are wrong. On the upside, there seems to be an increase in postcount on CDZ.
Old 31-12-2014, 15:26   #37
Matrix
Administrator

I can only agree with you there.
Old 31-12-2014, 15:32   #38
Socrates
Emperor

Yes, let's increase postcount at CDZ.

I quit Facebook 4 years ago already and... I have never missed it.
I joined LinkedIn this year, but I rarely log in, and I wonder if I'll keep this account for a long time. I see these kinds of social networks as time-wasting bullshit more and more.

On the other hand, I subscribed for a dedicated server in a French datacenter. My long-term goal is to have many services running there. So far I have been able to exchange personal photos with friends via SFTP, chat with friends using an XMPP/Jabber server instance (webcam refuses to work, but I'll get into it), take part in a BOINC program (Internet grid-computing for science).
I intend to have my email server there someday, run different web sites, start a Git repository, and who knows what more.
So essentially I am becoming a total Linux nerd, using the line command for almost anything.
Old 31-12-2014, 20:35   #39
Shabbaman
Administrator

Linkedin is useful when you need professional visibility of your skills: also known as "I need clients to make money of". Those kind of content updates can be quite annoying. Linkedin groups might have some use when you're looking for feedback or knowledge. Depends on the work you're doing. For my profession it's useful, but I never use it. But it's significantly more useful than FB.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:44   #40
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Linkedin is the main hub if you are looking for some high skill job or plan to be looking in the near future. I do use it regularly and there is much less bs there compared to other social media. Also, you can opt out of things you don't want easily compared to FB.