Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 12-04-2007, 14:35   #1
grahamiam
Emperor

Default Holy Shit! X-Com comes to CIV!

http://www.firaxis.com/games/game_bts_afterworld.php

In a nutshell, they are trying to do an X-Com style (combat only, I assume) game as one of the scenarios. Holy fuck, I'm buying this expansion day motherfuckin' one!

Quote:
quote:Introducing Afterworld
Tim McCracken, QA Manager and scenario designer, takes us on a brief tour of his latest project. Remember the fire-breathing horseman in Omens, his last scenario in Warlords? He hopes to top it.

"My favorite expansion from the Civilization series was Fantastic Worlds, from Civ 2. Jules Verne, MOO, MOM, and X-COM in one expansion; hard to imagine topping it. Our newest expansion Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword does.

The changes to the epic game could stand alone, but they are complimented by twelve exciting new scenarios. One of them, the one I'm working on, is a tip of the hat to the Gollop brothers and the original X-COM team. As a big fan of all things horror, the atmosphere and ominous theme this game accomplished were dead on. I'm focused on replicating these elements.

Our stage is in the far distant future. In an age where we've accomplished faster-than-light travel, man-made solar systems, and have isolated 'consciousness'. That last feat allows for human robots to work tirelessly, while their persona takes a vacation in a jar somewhere.

As with any story, something goes wrong. Something causes a planet full of the human robots, GoLeMs, to twist into malformed beasts. The universal government sends some scientists to observe what's going on. Yeah....they're eaten. So then the big guns (that's you) are sent in to grab the scientist's untransmitted research. It's a squad of five "Gravebringers" vs. a planet full of nightmares.

There are no leaders. No cities. No technologies. It's not the typical game of Civ. It's Afterworld."
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 15:16   #2
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Holy! That alone is worth BtS!
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 15:32   #3
Robboo
King

HOLY SHIT IS RIGHT..... I was hoping for a new Xcom game but this may just be enough to ease that need to play xcom every so often. Xcom is the only reason i still keep my old computer in running condition much to my wife's dismay.
Robboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 15:40   #4
grahamiam
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Robboo

HOLY SHIT IS RIGHT..... I was hoping for a new Xcom game but this may just be enough to ease that need to play xcom every so often. Xcom is the only reason i still keep my old computer in running condition much to my wife's dismay.
Really? I can get it working quite well on XP. There's a large X-Com community that I lurk to gain info and patches located here ->
http://www.xcomufo.com/forums/index.php

Just ignore thier "remake" attempt and go straight for the X-Com forums. Lots of good stuff there
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote