Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Other games > Other Other Games
Home

Old 26-10-2005, 14:35   #11
Kemal

I agree, you are correct on that playing around the abilities can be done, but there is still the fact that if you get some boosters of any newer set, you will need a lot more cards of the same set to build a succesful deck with those new cards.

I had the feeling that with older sets, the synergy between old and new cards was much better, allowing you to easily blend in your new cards in your older decks. But I guess that is not a financially solid basis for any company distributing CCGs...
Old 26-10-2005, 14:36   #12
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DrAlimentado

this thread is really very strange... I never knew MTG was so er, involved [nerd]
Encountered this pic in one of your posts dr. A.

29.11 KB

Now who's a nerd again.......
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2005, 14:56   #13
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

I had the feeling that with older sets, the synergy between old and new cards was much better, allowing you to easily blend in your new cards in your older decks.
You know, if you have a solid deck it's easier to build a deck with newer cards. Look at the vintage and legacy formats. Especially in vintage a lot of decks (different archetypes) consist of a lot of the same cards. Obviously the expensive power cards, but even cheap commons like brainstorm and so on.

So get yourself some good cards, and then some new crap. Throw it together and you have a deck that plays differently than your old deck.

For example, if you want to play control, start each deck with 4 Force of will, 4 Brainstorm, 4 Accumulated knowledge and 4 Intuition. I know intuition is expensive (about 15 euros) but it is one of the most powerful cards ever printed. Change them for Fact or fiction. Same goes for Force of will, but it's an uncommon so you might have them lying around somewhere (though it's about 30 euros these days). Just change them for counterspell or mana leak.
That's 16 cards, almost half your deck (not counting land). A lot of room for other cards. But no matter what, you have some control and a lot of card drawing. Especially drawing/tutoring/manipulating (brainstorm) helps your deck a lot.

Expanding on this example, the new set has milling as a theme in UB. Well, there's been a lot of milling in past sets. Take some grindstones and a seedborn muse and you're finished quickly.

BTW, I never buy packs, it's a waste of money IMO.