Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ III
Home

Old 18-08-2007, 14:58   #1
Napoleon

Default Civ3c Ladder or Civ4 Ladder, which one to choose?

Hello all Civers,

After 2 years of civ4 has been on "the street" many people have been discussing between both.. Civ3c Ladder have manage to keep more less 300 players in his league and civ4 has about 900 players at the moment.

Civ3c has about 250 games a day at weekends and about 150-200 games during the week against the 50 - 100 games during the week and 300 games during weekends at civ4 LAdder... Ofcourse during CCC (Clan Championshiop) this numbers will raise at both ladders.

My opinion is that most of "old" civ3players are used to this game and see civ4 has a total different kind of game not making the same revolution has civ3 did to civ2. This explains why civ3c Ladder keep having more games daily then civ4. The different amount of register players are explain for the marketing sale impact on civ4, when whe see at civ4 lobby all those young kids talking it prooves it and the decrease of 1000 register civ4 Ladder players for 900 in the last 2 months also explains it..

2 questions:

Have you tried the new mods and scenarios of civ3c?

Should we keep civ4 game type and base our civ evolution on this one or change for civ3c?

PS: try to answer again the 2 question after giving a true yes to the 1st one.

Ty,
Napoleon

Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 15:11   #2
BCLG100
Deity

last time i loaded up c3c was when i got a save in a pbem about a month ago. So recent scenarios i have not tried, i've played the popular older ones and they were brilliant at the time, now=so so.

that question= no sense, civ4 was based off civ3, culture/ seperate worker settler units/etc all stem from c3c, i think civ4 is now the much easier game for MP'ing simply because of pitboss, no fannying around with e-mails and saves now.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 15:24   #3
Napoleon

So you believe that civ4 is a evolution of civ3?

hmm in some changes i agree about evolution (i like the Religion add to it) but the game played online, in a multiplayer mode, is total different and for me in this way civ3c is much better. So the question has sense...

donīt you think?
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 15:33   #4
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Is civ evolution the platform for the ladders you speak of, or a new game altogether? I'm in agreement with the useless graphics, lower playability argument, but as much as i hate to admit, civ 4 has awesome features like pitboss, same-tile unit cross-over, religions and tech tree versatility. That said, if we could have these features in civ 3, I'd rarely play civ 4 at all.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 15:35   #5
BCLG100
Deity

No. i think civ4 is better, c3c you had two options-gamespy and pbem. Civ4 there are more, i much prefer playing civ4 online. Civ 4 you don't just have the one tactic in mind, rush to cavalry and then stomp everyone, or if that fails ToE and win space. So imo you have to be better at the game than just the best at micro managing (which contrary to belief you can do in civ4).

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
Old 18-08-2007, 15:43   #6
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Good arguments again, but will not overthrow my visceral hate of no sharp clicks. Everything has a forced smoother rendering when it starts getting laggier and I wanna break my cpu in two after 2 hours of playing. And my computer isn't a 6 years old P4 1600 or something, it's but 1 year old with an average video card.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
Old 18-08-2007, 15:57   #7
BCLG100
Deity

mine generally runs the same up until about 8 hours of play, i do have the graphics on lowest setting though.

Also if just talking about Mp when are you playing MP for two straight hours?

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
Old 18-08-2007, 16:57   #8
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Nope, SP, and although I have just reset my graphics to low after you reminded me of doing so (and BtS set them back to high), I'm rather anal about being able to quickly micro my way around. Remnants of the starcraft days I guess...
Old 18-08-2007, 18:41   #9
Whomp
King

I have played two of El Justo's mods "Age of Empires" and his Viet Nam scenario. I found the AOI to be quite a challenge and a lot of fun. The Viet Nam scenario was fun too but I prefer AOI by quite a lot. Both could make for a very interesting PBEM.

I really like pitboss but I have to be honest I find myself playing more SP with c3c.
Old 18-08-2007, 18:57   #10
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

C3C is a much better game in terms of playability and fun. C4 is more complex but less enjoyable and TBH, less suitable for MP since it is very difficult to win by "normal" mean while playing a game with more than 4 human players participating unless there is a large difference in class of play.