Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > Succession Games Open Forum
Home

Old 10-04-2004, 05:59   #351
anarres
anarchist butcher

500AD IT: Portugal start Mallegans Voyage...

510AD: England pay 24 gpt and 5 gold for Engineering. Do lots and lots of MM, and move Cavs to Zohak for the attack.

AI: Iros and Rome sign peace.

520AD: I attack Jinjan:

1 Cavs retreat.
2 Cavs die.
We kill 5 Muskets and 4 Imortals.

I decide to keep the city because it is in a great location (on a river, plenty of room, no overlap). Unfortunately we get all 7 citizens as resistors.

Now the city is taken I use the Cavs further away to take out 5 Immortals and a Musket in the area.

Research is still at 0%, only Persia and the Iros have Astronomy, and only the Iros need Mil Trad. They would trade with us, but we really don't want to give them Mil Trad if we can help it. I am hoping that another civ will get it, so that we can trade it. If we went to max research (70%) we are losing over 300 gpt, so stockpiling gold is no bad thing for a turn or two.

Lux is still at 30%. WW is very bad and we must make sure not to increase it any further. We are currently at level 2, and level 3 is really bad. For this reason I am being very careful with the warfare, since it could happen at any time.

101.4*KB

530AD: Abandon ???? this turn and re-found with another setter 1 tile NE.

I kill the Iros with several Cavs nearby, we get 1 retreat and non losses.

SHIT!! We got a total of 6 WWP last turn and it has pushed us to the next level of WW (level 3). I turn lux up to 40% to compensate - size 4 to 7 cities get 4 unhappy, size 8 to 11 get 8, and size 12 get 12... []

We really need the Iros to make peace with Persia now so we can too. Either that or they need to send a unit in to our territory so we can make them declare war.

I decide to take Sardis - this will give Persia WWP which will increase what they are prepared to pay for peace (I think 20 gold per WWP).

2 Cavs retreat,
1 Cav dies,
We kill 2 Muskets, 1 Pike and 1 Immortal.

I decide to take it, so we can get to our next target, and so we get to build another city. Again we get 7 citizens out of 7 resisting. Oh, and we get a cannon!

I kill off 2 Muskets and 1 Immortal in the surrounding area.

153.2*KB

I check the trade situation - the Iros still need Mil Trad and have Astronomy.

Portugal have Astronomy but we have no techs to give, Persia and Carthage have it but we have noting to give and are at war (Persia will currently give 460 gold for peace, and we have to give 160 gold to Carthage).

I sell the Zulu Monarchy for 10 gpt and 22 gold.
Sell Engineering to China for 3 gpt and 20 gold.

No other civs even have Education, there is no chance of anyone else getting it.

There is only 1 real choice IMO - we have to trade Mil Trad to the Iros before they get it anyway. I give it to them for Astronomy and some change.

Portugal and the Iroquois already have Navigation, but Porugal also have Physics (and Demo)! []

I pay Carthage 9 gpt for peace. We have a boat that could do with exploring their island, and we really don't want it killed.

Science set to Physics at 50% (-260gpt and 8 turns )

Did anyone else notice this?

60.72*KB

AI: India declares war on the Iros.
Persia pays England for an MA agianst us. This is good - we need the War Happiness!

540AD: Sardis riots when 2 citizens are quelled.

I take Ghulaman:

1 Cavs retreat,
1 Cav dies,
We kill 3 Muskets, 1 Pike and 0 Immortal.

I decide to raze the city since it will have so many unhappy people. It was a tough choice...

4 Immortals nearby also get the Cav treatment.

Sell Carthage WM for TM and 64 gold. I turn Sci down to 30% so we are still making money.

80.36*KB

AI: Persia complete Mallegans in Antioch. At some point it will be ours!

I would still like to play a couple more turns if possible...
Old 10-04-2004, 08:48   #352
Stapel
Emperor

Go ahead. It was good reading.

Howmany turns on the MA with Iros vs Persians are left?

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 12:05   #353
Aggie
Emperor

anarres, play more if you want
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 14:00   #354
anarres
anarchist butcher

There are 5 turns left of MA agianst Persia, so I guess I'm gonna miss that war completely.

Guys, can I request that everyone who played against Persia in this war make sure they understand WWP and how WW is implemented? I inherited this game with Level 2 WW which means we took over 60 WWP. This has made this game a nightmare atm, and I am a little concerned that the same will happen with the Iroquois.

At MOST we should hit level 1 WW, not level 2, and NEVER level 3! []

Oysteins WW Article
Old 12-04-2004, 05:02   #355
anarres
anarchist butcher

550AD: I heal up our Cavs, and move some to closer border cities. I am strimming workers wherever possible, and settlers in some cases.

AI: China declares war on the Iros. We lose 2 Swiss Mercs fortified on hills to a single Immortal each.

Persia send a Galleon and Caravel to our shores and drop off... ...a Longbow and an Immortal.

560AD: We complete the Military Acadamy in Rotterdam. Jinjan riots even though it is under governor control.

Time to take Ergili:

118.58KB

We kill 4 Pikes, but 3 Cavs die! Terrible RNG.

I take out several Immortals and other weak Persian units.

Sell Education to Rome for 90 gold and 22 gpt. Persia would now give 740 gold for peace.

AI: Persia pays Rome for an MA against us. Persia also kills a Swiss Merc and Cav, beating the RNG both times, and they land a another lone Immortal near our capital.

570AD: Check out the situation near Arbela:

120.86KB

Lots of Persian units about, but we have plenty of Cavs to play with (about 25) and a fully healed army.

We kill 4 Muskets, 1 Pike and 1 Immortal.
1 of our Cavs die and 1 retreat.

Arbela contains Knights Templar and is in a good position so I decide to keep it. I also kill about 10 slow Persian units.

AI: We lose Ergili in a flip, but I left only 1 Swiss Merc in it and we can retake this turn.

580AD: I take Ergili back.

India give 27 gpt and 39 gold for Astronomy.

I go for Perseopolis - it is defended by only 3 Muskets!!! I keep it for easy access to the rest of the empire.

With wind in my sails I realise that Persia may have run down it's army almost completely if their capital has only 3 defenders. I decide to go for Hamadan, since it took only 3 Cavs to take Perseopolis.

We lose 1 Cav killing 1 Musket, 4 Pikes and 1 Immortal. Persia would now give 1000 gold for peace!

AI: Persia and India sign an MA against us.

590AD: I heal up our Cavs, and make a strategic withdrawl from Perseopolis. Here it is just before I abandoned it:

169.62KB

I found New Amsterdam instead - this captures our second Iron:

131.3KB

AI: The Iros are helping take out the off Persian unit, but generally they have been shit in this war.

600AD: Our MA against Persia has run 20 turns, I cancel it immediately. Amazingly the amount they will give for peace goes from over 1000 to us having to pay them! []

I take and keep Istakhr, it has 3 defenders. Next is Tyre - it is the Persians only Iron source now. A heric Pike takes out 3 of our Cavs, but it eventually falls.

I go to check the trades, buy Physics early from Portugal for 780 gold and WM.
Sell Physics to the Iroquois for Navigation, WM and 30 gold.
Get Dyes from the Zulu for Monotheism.
I buy and sell WM's around. I only make a few hundred in gpt, but we get a decent amount of map.

AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!! An unfortified Pike in the open just killed 2 Vet Cavs. I can't even get to it again this turn.

This game is at a big crossroads - it is decision time: We have 3 turns minimum before we can declare on the Iroquois, but now that Persia is broken I suggest we go for them instead.

I know WW is at 100% and that lux is now 40% to compensate, but we have a few large Persian cities which will take several turns to get under control. The flip chances are high for a few turns, so if we make peace we really should raze the cities. This will allow Persia to grow back over the next 20 turns, and retake their resources.

Although Persia has a visible Saltpeter they still need it in trade. This means they must be trading it away atm, so in 20 turns they will defintely have it back, along with the Iron we just took from them.

The WW is almost totally crippling, but I think we can take the Persians in the next 5 turns or so. If at any point it gets too bad we can always make peace, but I'd hate to lose our new cities.

Another benifit to taking out Persia on our continent is that when we make peace we can get jucy techs. Already they are back up to offering us 760 gold for peace, and they have Magnetism.

Tech choice is totally open since we traded for Physics this turn. I would personally go for ToG so that we can trade/demand Magnetism.

Whatever happens, we should probably all agree since it could be a pivotal point in the game.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:10   #356
anarres
anarchist butcher

A final note - now we have Magnetism our ships must sail to the corners of the world. I've been checking for contacts every turn, but so far we have all remained isolated...

Monster 600AD
Old 12-04-2004, 07:50   #357
Aggie
Emperor

Good job anarres I think that mopping up the Persians shouldn't take too long. After that we should make use of the Iroquois dogpile.

Even more important is the contact-race. I agree that we should learn aboutthe world with the highest priority. This could give us a lot of technology and gold. In another Monster Map game we got technology for the world map.

-Aggie &lt;---- on deck
-Killer
-ProPain
-Beam
-anarres
-Stapel &lt;--- up
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:16   #358
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

This game is at a big crossroads - it is decision time: We have 3 turns minimum before we can declare on the Iroquois, but now that Persia is broken I suggest we go for them instead.
Quote:
quote:
I know WW is at 100% and that lux is now 40% to compensate, but we have a few large Persian cities which will take several turns to get under control. The flip chances are high for a few turns, so if we make peace we really should raze the cities. This will allow Persia to grow back over the next 20 turns, and retake their resources.
Cant we rush a few settlers to fill up the razed city spots?
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 15:34   #359
Stapel
Emperor

I can't find a save!

Can you send it to stapel AT cdz?

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 17:38   #360
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

back!