Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Site Feedback
Home

Old 05-05-2005, 17:57   #1
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Default Site performance after move

After reading a post by grs on server performance I;m very curious how people are experiencing server performance. Apart from the 3 day downperiod we experienced from the ISP fuck-up that is.

Personally CDZ has been stable and fast for me after the move. Pages load quickly, very very rarely a page doesnt finish. Only problems I have is not being able to get the upload amount higher and the not receiving any mails for threads I subscribed too. Last 2 points are more code/OS related than performance related.

I'd like to hear your opinions on server and site performance.

PP
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 18:06   #2
Kingreno

Apart from the shit of last weekend it's speed is very good. No complaints on that. Uploadspeed is in particular great compared to the last host.
Some minor setbakcs include the inability to upload certain files, let it be due to the size or the .*** that is not allowed.
Old 05-05-2005, 18:07   #3
Pastorius
Custard used tile

As I said partly commenting that post, I have had good experience, except for the already mentioned.

I ve been mostly away from CDZ since end of April though.

Mailserver has been stable since the move - and all the saves I receive are without errors.
Upload has not had hiccups that I ve noticed
Site speed is good (I have 1800k down and 512k up). Usually, this is faster than @ CFC or @ GCF. I think the site speed has improved since the server change.

Only thing that sticks out is the error message received when trying to access active users from time to time.

I receive emails when I get a pm, but not for threads.

I must comment on strange behaviour of the ative topics update. To paraphrase Col, sometimes it updates, and sometimes it does not.

This last bit is probably related to some faulty configuration in Mozilla 1.7.7 that I must have made. IE seems to work like intended with updates.
Old 05-05-2005, 21:22   #4
grs
The Nameless One

Just an example of my usual CDZ visit since 2 weeks (this just happened before I wrote this):

I start the mainpage, after 30 seconds I cancel the loading, since only the logo on the top shows, but I am lucky: after cancelling I can see the link active topics too and press it. About a minute later I cancel loading the active topic list, but it is far from complete. I refresh. Some more tries and minutes later I get the full page. I click 5 links of new topics, I'd like to read. None of the broweser windows get any result. Five minutes later most of them have timed out, but suddenly one is giving a result. I press refresh on all timed out and get almost all pages I wanted (4/5). I type this message and save it in notepad in case I get a timeout when posting. Now I will press "Submit Reply".

This is real and happens regularly. It seems the server does not reply to the requests, then suddenly I get a working session and have a few seconds in which the site is very fast, then it is back to not responding. This happens since about 2 weeks in 8/10 cases.
Old 05-05-2005, 21:23   #5
grs
The Nameless One

P.S: posting went fast one the first try this time.
Old 05-05-2005, 21:40   #6
Pastorius
Custard used tile

grs, I think there is a topic in Computer Talk @ CFC where the process of clearing dns lists is explained. I cant fetch a link for you, since TF has ...em...disabled my posting.

It could help you afaik...
Old 05-05-2005, 21:41   #7
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

I'm having sometimes similar problems as grs but only from home, never from work. And not recently, about 2-3 weeks ago. It seems that this has something to do with DNS cache of the ISP and switching of an active user to various DNS servers in real time. Might be the DNS servers get overloaded or mishandle some DNS and hence the timeout.
Old 05-05-2005, 21:48   #8
Grille

FWIW, I've had similar issues like grs and Shabba (who reported in the other thread).
Before and after that 3-day breakdown, I either got *occasionally* timed out or the page generation (forum main page in most cases) was just sloww. On forum main page, the logo at the top and the first forum section would usually appear immediately, but then there's a coffee break.
Weird in enough, after eventually getting the page, displayed page load was officially fine then, but like grs said, it indeed took around 30s to display the page (during generation, black-ish stuff shows instead of gfx interface items).

Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 22:36   #9
col
King

Fast and stable. Much improved over previous setup.
Old 05-05-2005, 22:53   #10
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by col

Fast and stable. Much improved over previous setup.
I agree with col. It is much better now!