Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Kings of Chaos
Home

Old 03-10-2005, 19:49   #71
DrAlimentado

everyone (under me in-chain anyway) got a little something this time.

I suppose I should have asked at some point if you guys actually mind getting clicks randomly dumped on you? I'm assuming not but if anyone wants to be warned or dosen't want them even then you had better say
DrAlimentado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 17:03   #72
romeothemonk
King

Hey Doc,
For us computer illeterate guys with lots of time on our hands, can you go through a step by step process with pictures on how to use IP proxies to allow for more clickage. This would allow me to roll up ~1000 more clicks per day, benefitting lots of us.
Old 06-10-2005, 17:21   #73
Mistfit
King

Random is awesome! I'be been doing a bit of clicking myself so hopefully you will se return on your time investment

Thanks a bunch BTW!!
Old 06-10-2005, 19:09   #74
DrAlimentado

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by romeothemonk

Hey Doc,
For us computer illeterate guys with lots of time on our hands, can you go through a step by step process with pictures on how to use IP proxies to allow for more clickage. This would allow me to roll up ~1000 more clicks per day, benefitting lots of us.

well the theory is easy, you need a proxy address (either a url or an ip addy) and then you set your browser to use the proxy by;
clicking on Tools->Internet Options to bring up the Options dialog
then on the 'Connections' tab - click 'Lan Settings' to bring up the LAN Settings Dialog
check 'use a proxy server for your LAN' and then click 'advanced' to bring up another dialog and put the url/ip address of your proxy server in the http box and the port it is on (you get the port info when you get the proxy address)

here's a piccy showing the dialog boxes:

the 'bypass local addresses' stuff is useful if you want to still access local resources on the LAN - so if you have a router (or anything else on your LAN with its own local ip address) put its addy here and you can still access it even when using a proxy.

[u]Proxies</u>

There are 2 main types of proxy; anonymous and transparent. Anonymous proxies hide your IP completely, transparent proxies still show your real IP but its 'behind' the proxy IP. KoC only seems to look at the 'first' IP you have so transparent proxies do work for clicking but be warned that you are not hiding your real IP in any way if they actually want to see it.

And there are 2 types of anonymous proxy too, 'high anonymity' and just 'anonymous'. The higher type actually hides the fact that you are behind a proxy at all, but they are pretty hard to find. Both completely hide your real IP.

Its fortunate that transparent proxies work well for clicking because they are a lot easier to find than anonymous proxies. The best place I know to find them in the public domain is www.proxy4free.com - they have 8 pages of proxies, I suggest going down the list and trying each in turn until you get one that works. You will know if it works because you'll be able to load a page, oh and often you'll find working ones that are too slow to be of use for clicking. It can be a little annoying finding them....

It is worth finding out if your own ISP uses transparent proxies (many do just to cache pages and speed up their subnets), if they do then you can set them explicitly like any proxy and they will certainly be very fast (as you are already on the right subnet). To find out if you are behind a transparent proxy already you need to test your IP, here's one place to do this: www.stayinvisible.com/test - if you are behind a transparent proxy already (but without one being set in your browser options) then you can be certain that your isp uses its own proxies so you just have to find (google) a list of them. They are usually listed on your ISP's tech support pages or forum etc. To learn more about proxies and other web privacy issues etc. then I suggest visiting www.stayinvisible.com

For anyone using NTL in the UK I have a nice list of transparent proxies (its worth trying them from anywhere but i dont think they work from outside the UK, and they might only work for NTL customers I'm not sure) - here's a sample:

brnt-cache-1.server.ntli.net (Brentford)
brnt-cache-2.server.ntli.net [bre/brnt]
brnt-cache-3.server.ntli.net
brnt-cache-4.server.ntli.net
brnt-cache-5.server.ntli.net
brnt-cache-6.server.ntli.net
brnt-cache-7.server.ntli.net
brnt-cache-8.server.ntli.net
brnt-cache-9.server.ntli.net
cache1-brtn.server.ntli.net (Brighton)Ink
cache2-brtn.server.ntli.net [btn/brtn]
cache3-brtn.server.ntli.net
cache4-brtn.server.ntli.net
cache1-bstl.server.ntli.net (Bristol)Ink
cache2-bstl.server.ntli.net [bri/bstl]
cache3-bstl.server.ntli.net
cache4-bstl.server.ntli.net
cache5-bstl.server.ntli.net
cache1-bmly.server.ntli.net (Bromley)Ink
cache2-bmly.server.ntli.net [bro/bror/bmly]
cache3-bmly.server.ntli.net
cache1-cmbg.server.ntli.net (Cambridge)Ink
cache2-cmbg.server.ntli.net [cam/cmbg]
cache3-cmbg.server.ntli.net
cache4-cmbg.server.ntli.net
cdif-cache-1.server.ntli.net (Cardiff)
cdif-cache-2.server.ntli.net [cdf/cdif]
cdif-cache-3.server.ntli.net
cdif-cache-4.server.ntli.net
cdif-cache-5.server.ntli.net
cdif-cache-6.server.ntli.net

er, thats a bit of a ramble so I hope it makes sense, ask away if it dosen't!

Old 08-10-2005, 12:03   #75
Shabbaman
Administrator

So today I bought about 3000 IS, if anyone has some clicks left I'd be happy to relieve you from them.
I wonder, would this be a good time to buy the keep upgrade? I'd have to sell about 500 IS/BPM for it.
Old 09-10-2005, 00:20   #76
DrAlimentado

well the age ends in a few hours i think! so really if you have weapons you cannot man you should probably sell them and buy tools (if you can man them...)
Old 09-10-2005, 07:40   #77
Shabbaman
Administrator

WTF, so I got all that crap for nothing...
Old 09-10-2005, 13:49   #78
DrAlimentado

same boat as a lot if us - I have ~6000 weapons I cannot man, Mistfit has a few thousand, and every other fucker in KoC too! The admins are really screwing with us here... otoh it IS chaos, which is nice.
Old 23-11-2005, 14:30   #79
Mistfit
King

Is anyone else having problems getting the new clickwhore to run?

I cannot get the damn thing past the opening screen.
Old 23-11-2005, 16:00   #80
romeothemonk
King

On some IP addresses it works, on others it doesn't.
One of my lab comps won't run it now but the other 2 will.