Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ V
Home

Old 15-10-2010, 09:57   #111
Shabbaman
Administrator

Nice download speed.
Old 15-10-2010, 10:07   #112
socralynnek

Beam: You are playing via Linux or do you have Win7 as parallel installation?
Old 18-10-2010, 13:14   #113
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.

The i5 I bought had Win 7 pre-installed and is the OS running Civ V. Afaik the WINE / Cedega community has not managed yet to run it with Linux.
Old 19-10-2010, 07:14   #114
Stapel
Emperor

I got things running, but ridiculously slow...

What bugs me the most: Once more, the AI is sooooooooo stupid, when it comes to fighting wars....

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 09:25   #115
Shabbaman
Administrator

What's "slow" exactly? Have you tuned the graphics settings down? And yeah, the AI doesn't know what to do with units. Apparently sticking all these units in a big stack of doom is just an easy strategy that can impress human opponents...

The thing is, they just don't build enough units. In my previous game I donated two foreign legions (infy) to a city state that was at war with Montezuma. The aztecs mostly had rifles, but the city state could capture (and hold) one city and raze another (which is interesting in itself btw). It's not that the AI is completely retarded, but it needs more incentive to keep units closer together and to upgrade or replace their units. That seems something that could be fixed with a patch, but I'm not sure the AI will be able to properly use 1 unit per tile.

Also: teachers and their holidays, bah...
Old 19-10-2010, 15:06   #116
grahamiam
Emperor

I was running very slow in DX10 until I updated my video drivers. If yours are up-to-date, try running in DX9 mode as it should be easier on older video cards.
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 15:27   #117
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbaman View Post
What's "slow" exactly? Have you tuned the graphics settings down?
It's a grpahic thing. Scrolling takes ages. Even typing the name of a save file takes a while. My PC is simply not up to it. I do run things in an abslote minimum mode!

Quote:
And yeah, the AI doesn't know what to do with units. Apparently sticking all these units in a big stack of doom is just an easy strategy that can impress human opponents...

The thing is, they just don't build enough units. In my previous game I donated two foreign legions (infy) to a city state that was at war with Montezuma. The aztecs mostly had rifles, but the city state could capture (and hold) one city and raze another (which is interesting in itself btw). It's not that the AI is completely retarded, but it needs more incentive to keep units closer together and to upgrade or replace their units. That seems something that could be fixed with a patch, but I'm not sure the AI will be able to properly use 1 unit per tile.
I've nearly finished my first game (Prince level, me+3AIs, 8 City States on pangea). When there were 3 CityStates left. I bought one firmly into an alliance and decided to conquer the nearsest of the other two. This tickled a massive War-against-Stapel. The 3 AIs and the CS declared war.

-Most of my troops where in the east, where the CS was.
-In the north, the Iroquois kept sending the odd obsolete unit, hardly worth mentioning
-In the northwest, the English did sent quite an impressive army
-In the far west, the Japanese had a modest collection of troops, but this area of my realm was rather poorly defended, as most cities were former Japanese settlements, still under 'puppetment'.

I decided to transport all my troops to the English front. This would result in the calculated loss of one city to the Japanese. Unfortunately, this did not make me succeed in defending a rather big city. I lost it to the English, though it did cost them a lot. Two turns later, I got it back, but it was heavily plundered.

To my surprise, I was able to fend of the English troops with great ease, form this moment. Every other turn, an infantry was sent in. In the end, possibly about a dozen or so. They were all consequently killed by my solitairy artillery, with only the aid of the city bombardment.

Then, after 25 turns, finally the peace negotiations screen would open. And the English suddenly offered all cities (about 6), for peace! That just stinks!

Quote:
Also: teachers and their holidays, bah...

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 19:05   #118
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

The AI is really weird when it comes to CS aggression. Just like Stapel I experienced AI+CS ganging up on me under the pretext that I'm picking on the weak in several games. In my current game 2 CS even went into permanent war with me because of my agression against CS's. During this game I attacked & conquered 2 city states, one of them even started a war against me first. After this incident I liberated 2 other city states from the evil Romans: no CS reallt cares, state of permanent war remains. I think this kind of AI behavious sucks.

As noted by many the AI really doesn't know how to handle 1PT and Ranged attack. I've seen a few AI sending in a sizeable force but with such idiot placement that a few fast units and, one ranged unit and city bombing wiped them in 2 turns. For the most I see the AI sending in line troops with 1 turn intervals. Easy to pick of with city bombardment and a support unit.

What puzzles me as well is :
- I have a weak civ declare on me while I had been friendly with them all the game. I totally wipe them of the map and they refused to make peace even when a slew of units is ready to take the last city they own. Very, very annoying as this forces you to take all their cities and raze them (because of happy cap) With razing taking a few turns, this can really hurt your economy.
- In my last game Russia owns 20+ cities and ghas fewer happy resources than I do. I'm struggling to keep my happy cap up building happy buildings as much as I can. Russia apparently doesnt have this problem and is boasting a production per turn that is 50% higher than mine, while I have been very production focused. This game is on prince level so I dont expect the AI to have a lot of 'cheating perks' Still dunno how Catherine is managing this.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 22:03   #119
Shabbaman
Administrator

Well, I guess she is building happiness buildings and you are not. And rightfully so.
Old 21-10-2010, 22:15   #120
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
- In my last game Russia owns 20+ cities and ghas fewer happy resources than I do. I'm struggling to keep my happy cap up building happy buildings as much as I can. Russia apparently doesnt have this problem and is boasting a production per turn that is 50% higher than mine, while I have been very production focused. This game is on prince level so I dont expect the AI to have a lot of 'cheating perks' Still dunno how Catherine is managing this.
I noticed the same in one of my games. But Russia gets double the resources from iron, horses and uranium, so if she has a lot of those maybe she's selling/trading those to other AI's for luxuries?