Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Archived fora > Taurendil's Forum
Home

Old 26-06-2003, 03:14   #1
Taurendil

Default vs. Cartouche Bee, part 1 **spoiler**

EDIT: I removed the entire original post. In the last game the Celts rushed me and destroyed me in turn 32. I have never ever seen this happen on emperor difficulty, but i guess dung happens. CB graciously called the game a draw and we restarted. The game specs are still:
Small, emperor, agoraphobic barbarians.
Cb leads the germans, and i the french. Et surtout les françaises

10.92KB

Turn 1- Move the worker to the bonus grassland next to the coast. It's a good spot to work and a good way to explore. He discovers my favorite ruminant! Yes i had to look that word up in a dutch-english dictionary. Move my settler south so the cow and lots of bonus grass is in the 9. Get started on pottery at 100%, due in infinity turns.

14.97KB
Old 11-07-2003, 17:56   #2
Taurendil

Time for a pretty large update...
And i can't repeat this enough, please comment on anything you like, or anything you would have done differently.

2- Settle Paris. I could move my worker towards the cow, but instead i will mine this bonus grassland first, and not lose another turn moving.
7- Paris builds first warrior, starts exploring.
8- Deserted hut.
10- Second warrior is built. I'm in the bottom left corner of the minimap, so i'm only sending a warrior north and east, and get started on granary prebuild.

corner of the world 2.79KB

13- Discover pottery... i'm going for writing and mapmaking at max science for now. This is starting to look like a habit. i'm getting predictable! Get ceremonial burial from a hut.
14- Get a settler from a hut.
16- found Orleans.
21- Another deserted hut.
22- I discover the indians pretty far to the north, get bronze working and 10 gold for masonry.
24- My scouting warrior suddenly finds fimself trapped in the territory of a fresh indian city. The way back home is blocked by 2 barbarian warriors that seem to have just popped up too. I take a calculated risk here and try to stop the Indian progression. I based this decision on these observations: i know no other civs yet, so i can't do my reputation much harm. Secondly, the shortest path between Delhi and my lands is 18 tiles, should be enough time for me to get peace again. My warrior wins the battle with an amazing 0 hp loss.

Before 14.39KB

After 12.67KB

25- Meet and Aztec jaguar warrior-scout, pretty far to the east. He won't give me the wheel, but i get warrior code and 26 gold for my alphabet. He is polite to me. Lets keep him away from Indian history books . Paris is going to be a great city: it just built it's first settler, and will produce many more, fast.
26- I get Orleans started on a granary. There is quite a lot of open land around me, and although Paris is very good at building settlers, having a few cities that can build settlers or workers is great.
I just lost my warrior that was guarding the route between India and me to a barbarian. I was standing on hills too . So I have Paris build a spear that will go north and keep an eye on Ghandi.
27- Discover Persia, they seem to be seperated from me by a 2 tile landbridge. If this turns out to be correct, i might be able to lock off a lot of land for a while.

20.92KB

28- Make peace with India on equal terms as they have nothing to offer me. I don't expect them to get anything any time soon, so i'm not going to wait for that.
29- Found Lyons. I will probably go warrior-worker-granary here too. The Indians are crippled, and it looks like i will be able to lock off a landbridge right next to the Persian capital. I have lots of room.
30- I micromanage Paris to produce less food. It's currently fluctuating between 6 and 5 pop, producing settlers every 4 turns. It could manage the same switching between 4 and 5 pop, or even 3-5, and that would cost me less luxury tax.
34- Discover writing. There's nothing quite like trading monopoly techs is there? Give writing to the Aztec for contact with the Zulu and Germany (CB), the wheel and all of their 8 gold. CB doesn't have alphabet yet. I give alphabet to Persia for free (feeling generous). They suddenly love me. Then i trade them writing and 1 gold for one of their workers. I practically give alphabet away to the Zulu for a mere 6 gold. Then i give them writing and contact with India for Iron Working. I have no need for money as i have a lot of room to expand peacefully, so i go for another max science run, for my precious mapmaking. I hope the AI manages to discover a few techs too by then.
Iron and Horses are plenty in my lands.

Iron and horses 47.51KB

35- Found Rheims. A Settler arrives at the Persian border. I hung around there with the warrior just for this.

Settler block 29.23KB

39- Found Tours.
40- Ai's have mysticism. Good, keep it up guys.
44- Found Marseilles.
46- Orleans builds granary. Starting on temple here, then prolly barracks. I feel i don't need troops yet with all adversaries to far away.
47- CB offers me mysticism, a tech the AI's have been sitting on for a while. I decline as i will easilly get it when i discover mapmaking.
48- More exploring confirms that i have locked India and myself off from the rest of the world.
49- Found Chartres.
50- Discover mapmaking. I feel i can discover techs pretty fast. I will go straight for republic at max. No saving up money in this game. That means no mass-upgrading, so whatever troops i want i will have to build myself. This will be a civ game oldschool style . Reminds me of playing civ I for years a decade ago. Sadly, i have to give away mapmaking in trades to get all i want. Only Persia gets mapmaking however, and they don't get my world map. As all are left pennyless, i hope it will take a while for the other civs to get mapmaking, and for Persia to get the world map. I bag horseback riding, mysticism, 2 gpt, 63 gold and ofcourse the map of the world.

The world 6.41KB

51- Berlin (CB's capital) is size 7! I suspect he is building a wonder there, perhaps prebuild for the GL? I'm not afraid of that really, I should be way ahaid of all AI's on the strategic techs, and i should be outproducing the world at all times.
52- Found Avignon.
53- Aztec environmental activists are blocking me from cutting down a forest neir Rheims.

18.69KB

54- Apparently CB is building settlers after all.
55- Found Besançon.
56- Discover philosophy. Orleans builds temple, switching to barracks as planned.
58- It's a new day, and i change my mind about Orleans. I switch the barracks to a settler. The town is size 5 now and will require luxuries soon. All other towns are a lot smaller, so i will decrease the size here.
59- CB traded around world maps and I can't make any world-map-for-world-map-and-1-gold deals anymore . I try to extort the new world map (only difference is CB's tile improvements) from India, but they don't give in.
60- Orleans finishes the settler and gets started on my first barracks (again). I realise Persepolis' borders will expand in a couple of turns, and 2 warriors won't be enough anymore to block the passage. I start moving a warrior to that front.

You have to love wide open spaces 114.36KB

The world 6.55KB

Slight score advantage 11.25KB

Nothing happening here 39.54KB

That can't be bad 17.48KB
Old 11-07-2003, 19:09   #3
anarres
anarchist butcher

Hmm, a huge advantage you have there...
Old 11-07-2003, 19:34   #4
ERIKK

errr... what is a "ruminant"?
ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 22:46   #5
WildFire

Had to look this up myself.

1) any of various cud-chewing cloven-hoofed quadrupeds, such as cattle, deer, or camels, that usu. have a stomach divided into three or four compartments.

2)cud-chewing, as certain animals.

3)thoughtful or contemplative; ruminative.
WildFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 23:18   #6
Skyfish

Very nice work Taurendil you are in great position....wonder what CB is up to really
Old 12-07-2003, 04:51   #7
Taurendil

I agree Skyfish, the statistics of this game got me really worried. There must be a catch to this apparent lead.

a ruminant would be called "herkauwer" in dutch