Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Beorn's Wintry Cavern
Home

Old 29-09-2019, 02:30   #81
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Yeah cannons from Matrix earlier would've made this a whole different war. I doubt I could have won it - or defended the gold coast colony for that matter. His economic rise would've matched mine, so I'd have been forced to conquer Japan/Mongolia to stay ahead. Without them having cannons I was able to botch 2 invasions, lose 2 whole armies overextending on each side of the continent, and still keep pushing both.

That's with me on war civics and him without 2 of his core cities (so both lower GNP). Still, neck-and-neck. I'd have reached factories+Sid Sushi+Infantry much faster but cannons and grenadiers would've held the continent for a while. Tanks would've done it.

Right now he is 1 turn away from steel. Next: I'll move on Strastadt, then he'll upgrade, turn. Next I'll attack, then cannons can counter-attack, turn. It'll be an interesting few days.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park

Last edited by Beorn; 29-09-2019 at 02:37.
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 22:18   #82
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Killer, never change.

Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:27   #83
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Hullo. I'm Tormund the maceman, and this posting is bullshit.

Old 05-10-2019, 18:11   #84
Beorn
Disabled Vet

I started off a fisherman, you know, me and me mates. But when we could afford a boat, all the good fish spots were taken. This be where the bullshit began. They sent us away, no job, to go see about strange places. Them neighbors seem they like us too.

'xcept them black ones there. Now the high 'n mighty folks in big hats back home, they won't hear back-talk from neighbors they won't. So who they send? Ol' Tormund.

They say we good a' it. They say we keep swinging maces 'n flails 'n fight. No swinging fish lines. Not a chance to enlist as a worker, no. Them roads, livestock, good air ... not for ol' Tormund.

Cousin Mance he done got promoted first 'n go out to grow fat on maple syrup. Blast 'im 'n his luck.

Then the big wigs they roll around new weapons. They even gift those to immigrant zealots. Blast the whole lotta 'em.

But not for ol' Tormund. Not too bad I guess, since them muskets got dead near that French capital. Heh, Tormund he gets stuck with the same lousy chainmail boots for 2500 years he does. Oh! the smell of 'em I tell ye. Look! We gots cannons.

Tormund all he gets is cannons to the face.

Even the other guys them ride back from the crusade 'n go all high 'n mighty smug 'n swipe all that good grassland 'n make like they own the place. Guess them do own it now. Tormund shoul'a been a rancher.

But Tormund still alive. They don't know anymore if we's gots'a king o' a parli-parle-parments... no bother tell us. They send us in but Tormund no can fight cannon wit'em maces.

We catch flak. They call us back. Again n again.

But Tormund still alive. And they say back in so'more.

This be bullshit I tells ye.

Last edited by Beorn; 05-10-2019 at 21:50.
Old 05-10-2019, 19:39   #85
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Guess who gots to enter that Holy City? Wadn't Tormund.

Old 06-10-2019, 18:38   #86
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Game over.

Looking back, I made good big-picture strategic decisions, pretty ok micromanagement and shitty tactical manoeuvers.

Points against:
  • Isolated small island, 40% of which was desert and tundra, without counting mountains (got a volcano eruption that killed 2 towns)
  • No domestic luxury resources
  • Expansion opportunities were 1-tile islands, desert behind Killer, jungle in front of Killer, or halfway up the map
  • Picked an ally I couldn't properly help in ynnek
  • Wasted 2 entire armies (each large enough to win the game) getting cocky and pushing too hard without reinforcements or waiting for upgrades

Points for:
  • Large amounts of food in the capital for expansion and
  • Isolated from the early rampaging of CR axes and catapults
  • International trade routes from GLH alone yielded more income than the average GDP for a long while until mercantilism
  • Lots of forests to get pyramids up, and nothing else to do anyways
  • Immense amounts of time on my hands - some days I needed almost an hour just micromanaging cities, workers, transport routes, etc. I may have all my head but, especially last spring, it moved very slowly

As for the other starting positions:
  • Japan had the best but was completely crammed behind Portugal. Still, imo, the best one
  • Portugal 2nd best, could've rushed bronze, denied metal to the Japs, taken over japan early and conquered his continent. In hindsight with full knowledge of resources, would be my choice
  • America and Mongolia had large potential as well but I doubt they could've withstood a unified western continent. Mongolia was a 1st timer and deserves enormous congratulations for keeping up with us
  • Rome was awkwardly situated geopolitically, and not rich enough in resources to make up for it
  • Mali was rich in gold but poor in food, and most of all, too isolated for my taste
  • Killer had a solid base of 2 cities (could've been 3-4) for a massive axe-cata surge, as he is wont to do. The right spot for the right guy. However, he made cottages too late to keep up, slowed further by a dense jungle of grasslands, and conquered too few high-commerce tiles/cities to make up for it
  • Maarten and ynnek almost had twin starting positions, rich in FP cottage gold potential, luxuries, the works. Maarten had it better but ynnek had more room to breathe behind him. The most tense, high-risk high-reward positions.

Strategically I was best off building my super science city. Playing it safe early on (with extra early triremes) won the game. Still I wonder what might have been if I'd chosen to immortal-rush Killer from behind with his army up in Rome. The game would've been violently more interesting. Besides, I wish I could've helped ynnek more.

Matrix often said that it was an interesting stroke of luck that the veterans got clumped together and all the fun finns on the other side. Any one of us starting in Mongolia might've just crushed everyone. As would have either Matrix or Killer if they'd had the guile to take on the other after ynnek fell.

All in all, a very fun game.

Last edited by Beorn; 06-10-2019 at 18:47.
Old 06-10-2019, 22:18   #87
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
Built the great wall. WTF
[...]
EDIT: barb uprisings are a thing and Killer dodged a 5-axe bullet. Guess I spoke out of turn.
Sometimes, just sometimes I know what I am doing I really lucked out here; it was the very turn where the barbs would have taken a city that I could not have taken back for a long time.
Old 06-10-2019, 23:44   #88
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Worst case scenario: they choose to "re-appropriate" the northern peninsula. I'll have backups for luxes and extra economy by then, but hey, still hurts.
and we really dropped the ball here: we should have kicked you off the continent! Not that it would have mattered in the very long run.....

oh, and we should have coordinated research, with me stealing techs off Matrix. Instead, idiot me pumped espionage points your way.....
Old 06-10-2019, 23:53   #89
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Killer, never change.

an idiotic mis-click! I was running a 3D modelling thing and it delayed my remote access via anydesk to the point where I simply mis-clickd
Old 06-10-2019, 23:58   #90
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Killer M View Post
and we really dropped the ball here: we should have kicked you off the continent!
Yeah that surprised me a LOT but (especially after GW ) I assumed you knew what you were doing and thought that if you didn't, it wasn't cost-effective to use espionage for research instead of good old gold.

My entire game plan was to peacefully leapfrog over you and your lack of aggressivity helped. As was said in Matrix' thread, if you had been more keen on kicking me out, the stack I held the north with would've been all over Mongolia instead. A slower, but much more reliable way to win.

As for the mining colony NE: gold town was a solid balanced town with good cottages, silver and barb towns were shit, but Labrador ended up being my Heroic Epic city: with 4 windmills and 4 full-bonus workshops, it produced 80-100 which is almost a cavalry per turn, rolling out with 3 promotions (9XP charismatic).

Last edited by Beorn; 07-10-2019 at 00:02.