Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Shabbaman's Forum
Home

Old 16-01-2013, 09:16   #11
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Why did you put that bishop in jail? Just curious.
Old 16-01-2013, 12:57   #12
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingreno View Post
"I'm wondering: is anyone reading this?"

sure thing! I read every post on CDZ.
Good to know I have fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPain View Post
I guess that's the time to start a new EU III/CK II game.
If you play a CKII game until the finish, then you can (somewhat) convert the savegames into a EUIII format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akots View Post
Why did you put that bishop in jail? Just curious.
Why wouldn't I? It's a bishop

I had to check which bishop you are referring to. This bishop of Prum was captured during the battle for Julich. A war casualty, so to speak. I could have ransomed him (bishops are usually wealthy), but since I captured his county I figured he'd be happy with me if I'd just set him free. That has the side benefit of making my other vassals happy as well.

I had another bishop in jail as welll, but you couldn't have guessed from these pictures. This guy is the prince-bishop of Hamburg, and he has good learning skills so I had made him my court chaplain. At a certain point he became cathar, so I put him in jail. After a while I released him after he promised to convert back to "normal" catholicism (as if there were such a thing...), mainly to make use of his learning skills again. But soon after he converted to fraticelli, so I put him in jail again. If a vassal has become heretic, your other vassals don't mind if you strip his titles. I found it to be particularly useful to have a bishopric title ready to get rid of excess male heirs (you know, because of gavelkind succession). Anyway, after a while I figured I don't have any heirs coming up soon, so I ransomed him for 70 ducats. But then he started converting his own vassals, so I jailed him again. I stripped him of his title and made another vassal happy with a bishopric title. With vassals with other claims this could backlash, but this guy doesn't have any other titles anyway so I thought I could get away with it. And now I know that you can ransom someone and put him in jail immediately after, that's what I call useful knowledge.

Are you playing CKII, Akots?

Now, back to our regular schedule: apparently my son has ambitions of his own. He usurped a title from my archnemesis the court dwarf as well. Oh, and this:

Old 17-01-2013, 04:03   #13
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

No, I'm not playing. But I read your tall tales.
Old 17-01-2013, 10:49   #14
Shabbaman
Administrator

What I didn't anticipate is that my heir, currently known as king Ordulf I of Germany, would get the kinslayer attribute for this joke. In hindsight I might've done something against the plot, because poor Magnus died at 70. Chances are pretty slim he would've gotten much older, so this whole exercise is a bit pointless. But hey, it fits the story of the Billung dynasty!

Right after this event I created Germany and saved. I'll have to do some puzzling to figure out who I can give a duchy without repercussions (for instance: I have a CB against the court dwarf for his last county in Gelre (because of my duchy of Gelre), if I give the duchy to a vassal, will I keep the CB? I assume I get a "press a claim" CB), and without getting too strong. Luckily the duchy of Braunschweig is large and strong, so I feel reasonably safe from revolts. And with this kinslayer attribute I can expect revolts... Besides duchies I need to get rid of half of my counties. Hopefully my king title will make it easier to invite people to my court, since I'm not sure there are enough people in my realm to receive all that property...

One more thing: I figured out what I like about this game. Like Colonization it revolves around the management of people. EU3 is more like civ, where you're maximizing gold. Coming from EU3 I needed time to get into this mindset. Obviously col revolves around the production and trade of goods as well, and that part is lacking. Perhaps it's in the new Republic DLC.
Old 21-01-2013, 10:56   #15
Shabbaman
Administrator

This might be my last update on this game. I'm declaring a win, because I have a kingdom. I even have a heir, and a grandson. I was anticipating a slow game after becoming king, but then the emperor (my son in law, no less!) decreed medium crown authority (although for my readers it might be good to know that this happened after I usurped Baden ). Of course I voted against it, but it seems his other vassals are afraid of me. One of the "perks" of medium crown authority is that vassals can't fight other vassals. This might be fun if you're the liege lord, but it makes for one boring game if you're a vassal: you can't push your claims or the claims of courtiers, limiting the game to marriage diplomacy and intrigue. But without the option of violence, diplomacy and intrigue are limited.

So I'm playing a bit to see what happens (and I think I'll start a new game as emperor of the Eastern Roman Empire): I might be able to become HRE and solve all my problems at once. I could gain freedom, but that's only worthwhile if the HRE is too weak to reclaim lost lands. Winning one war against the emperor isn't that hard, I need around 1500 gold to do so. Of course I don't need to win freedom, I could push for lower crown authority... or the HRE title. I could start a faction and gather support, making it easier. With enough support, the HRE doesn't even fight. I tried a lower crown authority-faction, but that didn't get much support. I joined the existing independence-faction (lead by Bohemia, who got the HRE excommunicated as well... starts looking like EU3 more and more), bringing the faction up to 60% of the HRE's power. My relative power is at 30% btw. After I joined the faction, this happened:

I was stunned. What happened? The HRE transferred one of it's direct vassals to me. To the HRE there's no immediate downside to it, as it's still under his indirect control since I'm his vassal. But it's a strange move considering that I'm clearly striving for independence, being in the independence faction and all... Besides that, it's an action human players make, so I'm surprised to see it done by the AI. Some of my dukes asked for transfer vassalage. It's a pity I can't ask the emperor for the same, it'd have saved me the hassle of invading Baden (although that did feel good ). This is my land now:

The emperor's personal holdings are sandviched between my lands (within the yellow borders). The missing counties are the remainder of Baden's duchy and a county some italian bloke stole from Swabia. You can also see what lands I own outside the de jure German kingdom, those lands are chequered within the de jure (and nonexistent) kingdoms of Frisia (also losing land to France) and Pomerania (losing land to Denmark). After 100 years within a kingdom, the lands become de jure property.
Old 21-01-2013, 12:07   #16
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Nice to see the AI try stuff to appease you.

I don't know the current situation in Spain but in my first game William the Conqueror build up a huge position there. His spanish holdings provided him with so much power he effectively blocked me from taking him on even though I was King of Ireland, Scotland and Wales at that point.

In the game I'm playing now I;m trying to partly copy that strategy because this time Norway owns England and has huge holdings in Scandinavia making them untouchable for me in their current state.

You might wanna try the same, or fight some other infidels. You don't need a CB to fight infidels, you can conquer more then one territory per war, you get huge amounts of Piety from fighting infidels (comes in handy when you wanna create/usurp other kingdom titles). This way you still get to fight apart from the marriage diplo. Maybe even makes it easier to become emperor of the HRE, but I dont have a clue how that works in CKII, never played a game in the HRE.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 14:50   #17
Shabbaman
Administrator

I think it's not possible to declare war against "foreigners" as a vassal.
Old 22-01-2013, 11:08   #18
Shabbaman
Administrator

Okay, apparently I can declare war on foreign independent powers. Declaring war on the king of France doesn't seem overly smart to me at this point. Declaring war on the king of Denmark doesn't seem so smart either, since I have a marriage alliance and I suspect he's the only ally close and strong enough to be of actual assistance against the HRE. However, I do have a valid CB if I usurp the duchy of Holstein, and since Frisians live in Holstein it seems clear to me that I rightfully own that land. Thús yn 't Ryk, and all that.

I'll see if there's some pagan duchy somewhere I can wage war on, but the HRE has been busy in Pomerania as well.

I've found that killing HRE heirs is a popular plot option, I got so many supporters that the plot power is at 103.7%. Eat that, math!
Old 22-01-2013, 11:50   #19
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Plotting is great in this game. Although beware: I had some drunk courtier blabber in the tavern about the plot she was supporting. Not nice, not nice.

Still why not invade some muslim counties in Spain? Easy to get support from the catholic spanish rulers, lots of piety, lots of king title's to create/usurp (Leon, Castille, Navarra to name a few)
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 12:07   #20
Shabbaman
Administrator

I've taken the suggestion to conquer land outside the HRE, so I took the opportunity to usurp Holstein (half of it's provinces are my starting provinces), and fabricated a claim on Mecklenburg. This way I could take three duchies within a short period, making good use of some internal conflicts within the kingdom of Denmark (might've read some play about that, once) as you sign truce between rulers personally: so if a ruler dies, or if someone revolts against their lord and becomes (temporarily) independent (like in my case with Mecklenburg) you can press a CB again.

A pity I didn't go for the heathens that used to live there at the start of the game. A good lesson. Oh, and this:

Muahahaha! Take that, Baden!