Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ProPain's Forum
Home

Old 01-09-2013, 22:39   #1
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Default EU IV - Leinster will rule the waves.....or die trying

In my last CK II game I started as Leinster and made Ireland rule Brittania. I didn't play the game out till the end but Leinster rules the Britisch isles, and parts of France, Spain and North Africa. To my horror al my good work was undone in EU IV's 1444. Leinster being a mere one province blotch on the map, waiting to be annexed by england. Obviously we can let this happen.

I play this game in normal, non ironman, mode because I want to test some mechanics. I had a real good run in ironman when I made a stupid mistake and my whole empire collapsed. I wanna have the reload option so this attempt will be normal.

1444 - The Start

The Donchad dynasty still rules Leinster, a quiet Irish province on the east coast.

The plan
King Donnchad MacMurrough Kavanagh is an ambitious man who dreams of ruling the Britisch Isles and discovering what's beyond the western seas. His plan is to quickly take the other independent Irish provinces first. Depending on how England is doing in the 100 year war against France he might try and get Meath and some territory in britain itself. If this is not feasable he'll focus on getting the exploration tech and sail to the west. Rumours are rich indians with just pointy sticks live there. They should be easy targets and can be milked to fund a campaign against England.

[b]So much for ambition[b]
It turns out ambition is not enough to execute a plan, you need survivabilty too. Sadly King Donnchad dies in december 1444 after 2 glorious months. As he dies without an heir, his dynasty dies with him. Thank god we're not playing CK II as this would have meant game over then. But in this game it's a rather fortunate event as the distant relative from the MacMurrough clan that manages to grab the throne is far more competent than Donnchad. On top of being competent his only 18 years old too! The king is dead, long live the king

1444 - what else happened
We plan to conquer but our army is exactly the same size as the other Irish provinces. We build a cavalry unit and get alliances with Tyrone and Scotland. We sent diplomats to fabricate claims on Connaught and Munster. One needs an excuse to annex his neighbours after all.

1446 - A good year
We get a mission to wipe Connaught from the map. We happily take this and sent our troops and in 1446 we get the following message. We immediately start to core the province.

There's also good news from the 100 year war. England is getting slapped around by France and it's allies. Their 24000 soldiers took some heavy hits

[b]1447 - One happy nation[/]
Core on connaught finishes, we declare war on Munster.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 144_start.JPG (63.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 1444_12_dynasty_ends.JPG (25.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 1446_connaught.JPG (27.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 1446_eng_whacked.JPG (16.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 1447_concore.JPG (21.3 KB, 33 views)
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 22:47   #2
ProPain

1448 - A year to remember

After a few months of sieging Munster they concede. A messenger brings us the happy news.

We send them a peace proposal offering them annexation into glorious Leinster and they accept. We start the festivities but in the midst of all the drinking and singing a strange looking man wants to speak to our king. Turns out he's not the new jester, he just wearing the latest fashion by Italian standards. He brings the most unexpected of tidings..

Turns out Munster was controlling a cardinal, and not just an ordinary one but the one with the most influence in the curia. We are now the papal controller. We tell our advisors not to get used to this luxury as we wont invest in keeping control of the curia. We too small for that, but we'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1448_munsterwon.JPG (58.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 1448_wtf.JPG (64.3 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35   #3
Shabbaman
Administrator

Maybe you could sponsor some revolutionariea in Meath, irish-style.
Old 02-09-2013, 21:42   #4
ProPain

I thought of that but I can't afford it atm. Maybe when Munster also cores and I get taxes from them as well
Old 06-09-2013, 21:59   #5
ProPain

The light in the sky

- "Chancellor, is that a meteor I see?"
- "No my liege, it's your mountain of debt collapsing on you"
- "Mmm, really? Never knew that my debt could light up the sky"
- "Well, it's not exactly your debt that glows sire, but the fires of dozens of rebel armies funded by Jacob Fugger. He wants his money back."
- "I see, so what do we do now?"
- "it seems the advanced finance tech that allows derivates is still centuries away. I fear we have no choice than to give up."
- "Well we had a good run, I hope we meet again in the near future my friend"
- "But, but, what are you gonna do my liege?"
- "Pray for the english peasants to watch the sky. A lot...."

Things went roughly as planned. I conquered some english main land provinces and discovered the Americas somewhere in the 1450's. DoW'ed the Iroquois for a -2 stab hit becuase I didnt have a CB. That was all planned. What wasn't planned was the absolutely sorry financial state the Iroquois nation was in. A meager 500 gold in the coffers was far too little to pay all the debts I made to fund the England campaign.

On top of that Scotland declared war on England and dragged me into their war. This was a mistake, I should have broken the alliance. Now I had to up the army maintenance and start war taxes to pay for it. Turned out I still was losing 3-4 gold a month while war weariness was fueling rebellions all over the place. In the end I was declared bankcrupt while being overrun by rebels......

How now, brown cow?
Not sure how to progress from here. Any strategy will probably start with annexing the other irish OPM's, question is what to do next. Pruning England while they're fighting France seems the best option but it's sooo expensive. Alternatively I could try and attack Scotland once they DoW England but that would leave England really powerfull. The other option is to try and take Meath by 'rebel conversion', leave England alone and focus on the Americas first. Last game would have been ideal for that with the early death of our monarch and his competent replacement, chances are this won't happen again very often.

For now I'll go with "If at first you don't success, try, try again."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1467_the end.JPG (81.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 06-09-2013, 22:47   #6
Shabbaman
Administrator

STOP STARING AT THE SKY!