Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 19-10-2008, 19:16   #1
Beam
c00l b33r

Location: Beat 'm up Scotty!. Lives in the Lands that are Nether.
Exclamation Cut the Crap players please read!

Mauer just send me a PM saying:

"I've noticed several complaints in the spoilers about the surrounding areas." He also tells me has looked closely to the starting area but not so much the surrounding areas. Mauer offers to redo the map or make a new one.

Your views please!

What I have seen so far isn't that bad but even if there are a few people that really have CRAP surrounding them (and it can't be cut ) I support a restart even more since we jsut started.

Last edited by Beam; 19-10-2008 at 19:18.
Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 19:25   #2
socralynnek

I don't mind either way. So far my surrounding area doesn't look that good but not that bad either. As I can't see oter people's surrounding area, I don't know anyway.
Old 19-10-2008, 19:38   #3
Matrix
Administrator

My surrounding aren't that good either. But if everyone's area is so crappy, then there's no reason to restart, is there?

Besides that, perhaps for once the lesser civs will see this as an opportunity to bond and fight their big brother, instead of kissing their feet for the rest of the game. If there is a big brother.
Old 19-10-2008, 20:54   #4
BCLG100
Deity

My start is pretty awful. I don't know too much of the surrounding area but from what i can tell i have jungle to the north and water west south and east.

So i'd vote for a restart but wont force one on anyone.

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2008, 23:42   #5
barbu1977
Emperor

My capital has a preaty nice spot, but my second city will probably be in a bad spot.
Old 20-10-2008, 00:06   #6
mauer
King

Sorry guys, after I started reading the spoilers, and got a comment from someone else, I went back and looked. All my attention was on the actual starting spots and getting the extra units in the right places

This was my first map to handle though, so it can't do anything but get better from here
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 03:14   #7
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbu1977 View Post
My capital has a preaty nice spot, but my second city will probably be in a bad spot.
+1, the map is quite strange. There is desert where there supposed to be flood plains. And I think I will lose my second city to barbarians next turn.

So, restart will actually save my arse. Otherwise, I was planning on retiring soon.

OK, according to civstats, I actually lost the second city.

Last edited by akots; 20-10-2008 at 03:23.
akots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 10:08   #8
Robi D
King

I don't have any real complaints. My start is on a nice spot but nothing special, the surrounding from what i can see are ok but again nothing special.

I have nothing against a restart if people's starts and surrounds are really bad.

Although if we do restart maybe we can agree to what size area should be optomisied (for lack of a better word), because while our starting areas should be relatively even, i don't what it to get to a point where the maps a mirror image for everyone

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 14:21   #9
BCLG100
Deity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
My surrounding aren't that good either. But if everyone's area is so crappy, then there's no reason to restart, is there?

Besides that, perhaps for once the lesser civs will see this as an opportunity to bond and fight their big brother, instead of kissing their feet for the rest of the game. If there is a big brother.
Perhaps its just me but i don't find the game as interesting if i have very little to work with. If i am going to be spending months playing this game i'd prefer to not have a start which is in essence similar to my holdem start. (a decent start but then nowhere else to settle).

CDZ Cup Champion!!!
BCLG100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2008, 17:00   #10
Matrix
Administrator

Yes, your start there was awful, so that's not good. But my point is: no one has even chances in a game, unless the game is symmetric to everyone. And the more even we try to make 'em, the more the actual differences draw attention. You'd better be thrown on a random map and make of it what you can, provided that you actually have a chance to make anything out of it (which you couldn't in Texas Hold 'em).

But I feel I fall into repetition, so I should shut up now. Mauer, could you please generate a new map and see to it that we all have at least proper room for expansion?

One final note I really would like to stress is this: imagine being trapped on a peninsula with only one neighbour, with very little space for you and an enormous hinterland for your neighbour. The result, without diplomacy, will be that you have no option than go for an early elimination of your opponent, while your opponent might not find the need to do so, cos he'll reckon his future will be more prosporous when developing. In effect, your opponent gets killed and you end up with the lot. Of course reality is not that simple and diplomacy and good forseight of your opponent might alter the outcome. However, as long as the starting position and surroundings aren't crap, I'm convinced skill will make the difference.