Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > Beorn's Wintry Cavern
Home

Old 10-09-2019, 11:56   #71
socralynnek

I can understand the part about the embargo. If you manage to defeat Matrix, I guess, no one else will have a relevant chance of winning this...

Good luck for freeing my cities from the evil ones ;-)
Old 10-09-2019, 15:02   #72
Beorn
Disabled Vet

The embargo hasn't completely got to Propain yet. I generously offered to take all his extra resources so I didn't land on him next.

The Malinese Expeditionary Force is just about done and ready for a new contract. I have half a mind to just dump it all on PP since he's ~5 turns away including the capture of Mali's last hold. I could also do a 2-shipments run by way of the oceanic islands, which would give me the flexibility to act anywhere in ~15 turns.

My first thought was to outflank Matrix with the MEF in Rome while I kept him occupied reinforcing the East, but he suicided his army. PP is the most convenient target, Mongolia is the most lucrative with a size 15 city begging for a forbidden palace and spices+corn on the N coast ready to be seized. I'm still on the fence.

Unless I suicide either one of my stacks, this game is now all but won. I just need to mop up 2/3 of the land area.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.
San Diego Wild Animal Park
Beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 23:01   #73
Beorn
Disabled Vet

1500 AD report, turn 210

Situation Report of the World:

Demographics matter less each turn. Still looks nice! But we're past that now.

Mali dies next turn.

He's asking me to wait 1 turn so he can settle a GA-fueled last resort, which I'll let him do, and then end his suffering.

Killer has gifted his military to his Imperial Holiness:

So that he may keep waging war on me. He'll need it but it will be short-lived. His main force has been eliminated almost to the last elephant.

The scientific advancements of the world:

Things to notice from the tech screen:
  • Matrix went Paper, then Navigation, and just got done. He has 1 galley in Har which I am ready to take out with a frigate.
  • ProPain recently researched Feudalism, still 2 techs from samurai.
  • Killer has gunpowder and musketeers. My muskets have pinch (+25% vs gunpowder) from a quest so that's all good.
  • Sami Khan hasn't researched anything in a while, his last 2 being CoL and optics. Betting he went Astro.

What the world leaders are up to:

No more deals. Maarten said so.

You're demanding a lot of resources to not attack me ... let's stall a bit

Let me live? 1 turn?

Why would I want to fight you? Matrix will do it for me with my own units

Look! My army speaks French

What the castes are doing for YOU:

The scientist caste got us to cannons first. We are in position to switch into Theocracy and Feudalism for +4 XP, just waiting on a Taj Mahal GA.

The jewish Holy City will get back up in 2 turns, and Versailles in 3, which will ensure funding for generations of researchers to come. It will also come 2 turns faster than Matrix's Versailles, allowing me to steal his treasury for fail gold when that happens.

The religious caste built us colonies all over the oceans which are now all saturated with as many people as we dare stuff. Health concerns will be resolved shortly.

The military caste's successes have launched us into the final, "World War Beorn" phase of the game. The once mighty Stralish are down to the bone. With most of the non-essential French military personel waving Stralish flags, I'm over 2x their respective strengths. Even if they combined their entire forces together in 1 spot, I'm confident I could cannon them down to a pulp.

Heroic Epic comes online in 2 turns @Labrador, meaning I'll reinforce by 1 musket or cannon every 1.5 turns. The game wasn't completely done for before the war, but Matrix sending his army on a musket fort sealed the deal.
Please do not annoy, torment, pester, plague, molest, worry, badger, harry, harrass, heckle, persecute, irk, bullyrag, vex, disquiet, grate, beset, bother, tease, nettle, tantalize or ruffle the animals.

Last edited by Beorn; 11-09-2019 at 23:07.
Old 14-09-2019, 17:48   #74
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Mali is now all re-branded with names from my native Beauce-Appalaches region, and the cherry on top: Versailles

I knew Matrix was building it as well, (his would have gone up in 1 or 2 turns) from a spy points blunder he made last week:

Which means he converted it into fail gold:

For which I have 2 spies in place waiting to steal treasurOH GOD DAMNIT

On the bright side, Versailles bumped my economy nearly 150 GPT. Good consolation prize.

Next major offensive in 3 turns.

Last edited by Beorn; 14-09-2019 at 17:51.
Old 19-09-2019, 00:24   #75
Beorn
Disabled Vet

The Matrix, reloaded.

His Imperial Holiness has been able to refurbish his army with the lot of Killer's obsolete catapults and shiny new musketeers. I have stayed at war with Matrix while Killer declined to join, opting instead to collaborate in the strongest possible terms to a sort of ... French Resistance.

Beca had been bombarded to 0, its units collateral'd to 20-40% HP. Lacking the manpower to swipe it in 1 turn, I was basically farming XP on it. The woods 3 + medic 3 duo of great generals means I can keep at it for a LONG time, with Killer's roads to bring reinforcements in.

Still, when he ran short on troops, Matrix took to the back door and Killer made it his own. Bummer. On the bright side, it means I get more roads to reinforce faster - which I am fully taking advantage of.

The siege of Goon should be quite expeditive. Whether Matrix pulls a city trade again or not, his capital is next down the line.

Oh, and Rifling in 2
Old 23-09-2019, 01:35   #76
Beorn
Disabled Vet

First, the bad news: on a very tired late night I got cocky, overextended and upgraded the wrong unit to rifleman in Beca. Lost it along with a lot of my army. HUGE losses in my unit count.

That being said, I reinforce faster and with stronger units than His Imperial Holiness Matrix. Killer has been gifting most of his fresh military production as gifts too ... I may not be reinforcing faster than BOTH of them though

So as Karl Marx used to say: "Seize the means of production!"

And the plotting began.

Killer would receive a full landing of the Malinese army.

Ynnek and Akkad are greatly undermanned:

The frontline on the turn I realized I fucked everything up and lost my army in a stupid Napoleon-in-Russia replay:

Dur-Kuri only had a spear and could be grabbed by amphibious macemen

The front door has several musketeer, nothing I can't handle

And it seems both might be working towards cannons, or maybe grenadiers

So, Herr Killer, we are at war.

2 for 2, barely a scratch. Odds were really bad for capturing his capital amphibiously (not all boats could reach) so everyone gathered at the same woods LZ

His muskets have speed, mine have pinch. I like my chances. The very first cannon shot, without bombardment, would go at 47% odds and the CR2 rifleman is just a big cheater.

Dur-Kuri and Beca were reinforced just in time: they'll have to take turns.

So last turn was disastrous and I lost the remaining of my first Holy Roman Taskforce. This turn I took Goon back, for keeps ; claimed 2 of Killer's gold-rich expansions, stole his best seaport and positioned myself to strike at the heart of his empire with a fresh, complete army of units that out-tech his. Last but not least: 4 turns to go before cavalry.

Their move.

Last edited by Beorn; 23-09-2019 at 01:40.
Old 24-09-2019, 02:21   #77
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Dur-Kuri was worth it: granary forge courthouse is a nice bonus

I'll regroup those forces, upgrade a lot of rifles and some cavalry, then march on Strastad.

The northernmost towns are defended surprisingly well, with 2-3 longbows and muskets in Leniken alone. Not to be underestimated, I'll wait for a sizeable 3rd army of cavalry to engage it.

On the other side, Killer has been gifting musketeers to Maarten en masse. That leaves his home excessively vulnerable. Boot Camp had most of his army in 2 stacks: 1 defending, 1 standing by 1T east. A handful of musketeers (plus assorted bronze age units) have disappeared while only a single 1-HP catapult remains. No losses on my end.

Next turn, we begin a pretty agressive march through Killer's virtually undefended interior.

Old 26-09-2019, 22:58   #78
Beorn
Disabled Vet

Too agressive with the marching in Killer's flatlands.

Old 28-09-2019, 23:46   #79
Beorn
Disabled Vet

So, Herr Killer had enough of a trireme+catapult+axemen force to send my musketmen packing. I didn't expect that and it will slow me down.

His capital is defended by more bronze-age units. in the next 2 turns, I'll be reinforcing the marching stack with 6 assorted cavalry, cannons, pikemen and riflemen. Should be mine in 3 turns or so.

Meanwhile, His Imperial Holiness Matrix has gathered a sizeable force with catapults he can upgrade to cannons next turn. I'll meet him with as many troops, better armed, and an extra pack of cavalry next turn.

Taj Mahal's GA is on while we clear the unrest in the northern towns. Between them and Mali becoming more productive, the future looks good.

Most of my production has turned to pikemen because I can make them cheap, promote to CR3 (or Woods3 for heals), and upgrade them to rifles on the field. They have done the spy coup into Hereditary Rule again but with much less effect: I had already switched to war civics. Plus, this being a GA, I'll just flip back in 3 turns no questions asked. Oh and Nationalism for draft rifles.

Old 29-09-2019, 02:13   #80
socralynnek

They are doing what they are supposed to do...giving you a good fight...

For every unit they catch up, you reach the next one, I guess.