Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 02-05-2005, 14:09   #1
Shabbaman
Administrator

Default Dutch football league thread

Some of you might recognize the name of this thread: it's one of the oldest and longest league threads on that other forum. Since most dutchies have retired from that forum but frequent this one (during uptime ) I decided to give it another try here. Besides, people whine less here.

Three things I wanted to share thoughts on:

1. Feyenoord (obviously). After the disastrous performance yesterday (1-3 loss to hoerenveen) once again I wondered why they don't change something there fundamentally. PSV shows how far you can get with discipline and positioning. Those are two things that you can simply train on. The supporters appreciate hard work. Gullit was on studio voetbal yesterday, all he did was complaining about the lack of money. True, less money than PSV and ajax, but the other 15 clubs in the league seem to manage the lack of money a lot better than Feyenoord. PSV has a lot less money than Milan, but it doesn't show. Gullit needs to stop whining and start making his men better.

2. Any thoughts on PSV tomorrow? I say they go through.

3. Oranje. Apparently Seedorf is somewhat back in the picture now J.C. declared that his lackey Van Basten might be interested if Seedorf changes "certain aspects". I saw Seedorf performing a defensive action last week, so I think his working on those "certain aspects" already. With Sneijder and v.d. Vaart hopelessly out of shape for months, I think Seedorf could be the man for tough games against very defensive teams. He doesn't fit in the current team though.

Oh, a 4th: Landzaat to Real Madrid. With Van Bommel at Barca this will give us weekly comparisons next season
Old 02-05-2005, 15:18   #2
Darkness

My 2 cents...

1. Feyenoord need to stop buying 10 mediocre players each season and just buy 2 good ones for the same amount of money. IMVHO Gullit handled himself quite well on TV last night. So, Feyenoord will end 4th. Big deal! Ajax and PSV simply have more money and AZ's season is simply an exeptional masterpiece by Koning Co and his men! The big problem at Feyenoord is that there still is no decent left back and the defensive midfield quality level dropped significantly after Bosvelt left (though IMHO he's a step to slow for a good impact at this stage in his career). The second problem is that there is no quality playmaker on the team (and don't come to me with Shinji Ono, 'cause he simply isn't it. He's been either injured or just not on his game the last two seasons). The third problem is on-the-field leadership. Especially for the defense. 1 good, experienced player to give the orders would change a lot!
Money wins. Period. See Chelsea/AC Milan/Bayern Munchen/Barcelona, etc....

2. Sorry PP/KR/Schip, etc., but PSV aren't going to make it! As much as I admire what they have done with limited (when compared to the big teams) resources, I think AC Milan is just a tad too good at the moment. Milan can play their favourite game. Let PSV attack and quick counterstrikes with Crespo and Shevsjenko will finish it.

3. Seedorf should not be in Oranje. It's been tried before and it just doesn't work. He's the weak link in AC Milan's midfield, because of his weak defensive skills. Let's not make the same mistake for the 100th time...

4. Good for him!
Old 02-05-2005, 16:00   #3
ERIKK

...on that other forum...

...havent been there for a while!

1. Too bad that Feyenoord sucks once more (again). Yesterday Gullit said that a club like Feyenoord should always go for the championship. I agree but not with all those lousy players. I agree with Darkness that Feyenoord should start buying some decent players instead of the crap they use to. A better defense would be a start. If Feyenoord gets a bit better and AZ holds out maybe we can have some fun the next season (for the 2nd place that is!). PSV simply is too string at the moment.

2. If PSV has a fast goal it could be fun. I still have some hope...

3. no way! btw: Van Basten doesnt wants him!

4. Landzaat will end up on the bench. He should not go...

ERIKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 16:14   #4
Shabbaman
Administrator

Real lacks defensive midfielders. Landzaat could be the basis of a whole new team. A whole lot better, that is.

Buying one or two good players is indeed better then 10 bad players. Over the years Feyenoord made some good purchases, but on the wrong positions. Simply count the number of left wingers... IMO all of them are high quality. Even pardo, though he hasn't really got the chance to prove himself. And that's part of the problem. Gullit even plays with a absurd system just to let as many forwards play as possible. And the first purchase for next season is Boussaboun? Come on...Then there's the growing list of failing wingbacks. If they'd kept Snoyl, for instance, they could at least claim a player out of their own youth.

But at least they got everything right with Castelen.
Old 02-05-2005, 17:53   #5
Kingreno

Feyenoord: fire/transfer roughly half the squad. Begin with Lazovic and Leonardo. These two screw teamspirit and are basicly whining wankers. One cries after scoring a goal (that is once a season, though he may cry at trainings as well), the other thinks he's the new hotshot yet has nothing to show for that. Fire old average players as well, like de Graaf and Schreuder.
Stop buying average players. Boussabon simply is not the quality you need. Why even buy such a sucky forward when that is the only line actually performing...instead, look at benches in Italy, Spain and Engalnd, there are players there who'd love to play each week at Feyenoord and that do not cost too much....

PSV: I will hope but realism says they won't stand a chance against AC Milan. They will lose honorably trying to score.

Oranje: we won't even make the WK.

Old 02-05-2005, 18:18   #6
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Feyenoord: I'm no expert on soccer and I know even less about Feyenoord but I have the impression not all their purchases are bad. Kuijt and Castelen are doning really well I think. Biggest danger for Feyenoord is Kalou and/or Kuijt leaving, between the 2 of em they're responsible for 43 of Feyenoord's total 82 goals. That's quite a large percentage.

PSV: No way they're gonna make it. Chevshenko or Crespo will score at least one for sure and PSV wont be able to score 4 times. Only a very early goal will give them a tiny chance.

Oranje: Seedorf, although he might be the most qualified for the job I still think he's quite a big risk where teamspirit is concerned.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 18:27   #7
Matrix
Administrator

I'm not much of a football fan. I just watch the results of FC Groningen. But of course I always watch the national team. Therefore my one remark will be:

I have never seen Seedorf perform well in the national team.
Old 02-05-2005, 19:26   #8
Kingreno

Quote:
quote:Seedorf, although he might be the most qualified for the job I still think he's quite a big risk where teamspirit is concerned.
Marco could try to hire some sportpsychologists, or just PIC more.

Old 02-05-2005, 19:52   #9
Kemal

At least he no longer picks nasty fellow Patrick Kluivert, that seems to have helped the TS as well.

OT: I'm really hoping Feyenoord will at least get some half decent results in recent games... else I'm afraid Gullit may have to go already, and that would mean no more "Ik ben niet te benijden" tv interviews...

Old 04-05-2005, 20:54   #10
Shabbaman
Administrator