Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ III
Home

Old 13-01-2004, 07:38   #1
Aggie
Emperor

Default C3C 1.15 BETA ;)

Tavis announced a new beta patch at CFC a few hours ago. This are the features:

"BETA PATCH! Public Release will not be until the end of February so if you aren't interested in reviewing it please do not use it!

Make a backup of your original Civ3Conquests.exe, jgl.dll, and text\labels.txt

REQUIRES V1.12 - RECOMMENDED THAT YOU HAVE V1.13 TOO

Items for v1.15 BETA (1/12/04):
* Corruption was set by Soren to meet his design. The Palace is the only Corruption Free Civ Center. All other cities are affected by their distance from the palace, WLTK Day, Governments, Corruption Reducing Buildings, Corruption Policeman, and the # of cities in your empire. Courthouse effects inscreased from 5% to 10%.

* Updated AI Strategies in Conquests: Mesopotamia - Galley (Naval Power), Enkidu Warrior (Offense), Rise of Rome - All legions (Defense OFF), MesoAmerica - Acali & Great Acali (Acali:Unload/Upgrade & Naval Transport, Great Acali (Upgrade Unit OFF), Age of Discovery - Javelin Thrower (Offense), Missionary (Capture, Offense), WWII Pacific - Fighter Bomber (Bombard!)

* Fixed Random Civ MP Launch OOS

* Secret Police HQ no longer gives effects corruption OR OCN bonus when player leaves Communism. Fixed error with Government required buildings not turning off.

* Updated Civilopedia.txt Forbidden Palace to explain that all cities are still affected by distance from the Real Capital.

* Updated Civilopedia

* Updated PediaIcons.txt

* Fixed Credit Typos"

This more and more looks like what anarres wanted, am I right about that?
Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2004, 07:46   #2
Plux
King

So FP now affects only distance from capital again? bleech, I liked the solution with effects of a bit of a second core and a bit of how it works now.
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2004, 07:48   #3
Aggie
Emperor

Indeed Plux, that appears to be a major difference compared to 1.13
Old 13-01-2004, 09:25   #4
anarres
anarchist butcher

Can someone please test the PBEM-SP load bug in this patch? I am at work and can't do it yet.

Tavis is persoanlly aware of this bug now and promised to fix it, the only question is if we told him in time for this patch (which is unlikely, but I'd like to know).
Old 13-01-2004, 09:30   #5
col
King

I think its in the 'issues I havent had time to fix yet list'
Old 13-01-2004, 10:54   #6
Stapel
Emperor

Ah, thus the only effect the FP has is the increase of the ONC?

The FP doesn't even decrease its own corruption, if I get this right!
I do understand the AI will be able to handle this (as there is nothing to handle), but for archipelago maps, a fine game feature has gone.
Also, you can build the FP at a random city.

Once again a fine example of 'fix by disable', a very popular instrument among software developers.

As they did not manage to develop an AI-handable FP, they solved this problem by removing some features.
Not the most elegant way, to put it mildly.

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2004, 11:26   #7
anarres
anarchist butcher

Stapel,

Distance corruption is measured from the nearest palace, so the FP acts as a corruption reducing measure still (and also the FP corruption is max. 30%). Soren has stated that this is how he always wanted corruption to work.
Old 13-01-2004, 12:02   #8
Plux
King

Ok, so it still is a bad idea to to build the FP in your capital? Good, I thought it only affected distance corruption, but it's some sort of a courthouse as well. Me likey
Plux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2004, 12:34   #9
Aggie
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stapel

Once again a fine example of 'fix by disable', a very popular instrument among software developers.

As they did not manage to develop an AI-handable FP, they solved this problem by removing some features.
Not the most elegant way, to put it mildly.
I have the very strong impression that Firaxis is working very hard to make this a better playable product! Just look at all the feedback they ask and what they do with it. Remember that a significant part of the community actually DOES like the FP effect as it is now, with reason.

I know loads of companies that aren't this receptive to suggestions from the client. Remember that this product got very good reviews that imho influence the common civ player (to buy it) more than sites as CFC.

Futhermore I have even more respect for their efforts when you look at the terrible state that Atari is in. I wouldn't be very motivated in such an atmosphere (in fact I AM in that position myself and I am indeed not motivated )
Old 13-01-2004, 13:10   #10
Stapel
Emperor

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by anarres

Stapel,

Distance corruption is measured from the nearest palace, so the FP acts as a corruption reducing measure still (and also the FP corruption is max. 30%). Soren has stated that this is how he always wanted corruption to work.
huh? That is not what I conclude from Aggie's post. In that post it sais 'palace', and not 'nearest palace'.

If it is indeed as you described, we are all happy I think?

But, to be frankly, I don't get it. If the distance corruption is measered from the nearest palace, this means the FP-city itself has distance 0, and thus becomes city number 2 on the ranks list and therefor has no (or very very few) corruption.
Stapel's mind cannot compute this with the remark that max corruption is 30%.

Could you please explain?

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote