Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ III
Home

Old 31-08-2004, 02:37   #1
Hygro
Chieftain

Default You guys ever play online?

I've had two attempts at PBEM that both resulted in failure. However I've played online a fair number of times (after avoiding it for over a year) and was wondering if you guys ever played online. It would be totally awesome to get a realtime game going with the communitiy here.
Hygro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 07:38   #2
Kingreno

To answer bluntly: no.

We have played (some of us) at the last CDZ meeting but IMHO a game of Civ is not well suited for this type of play. First, games tend to get very very lengthy meaning not hours but days are required for a multihuman session.
Second, as the level of PBEMs here is quite high, it is very hard to do things like micromanaging on a RTS type of play. There is simply no time in simultaneous moves (turnbased doubles overall playingtime...) to go through all cities.
The only feature that would make it a bit more playable would be a governor that was more editable, meaning I can tell on which tile exactly it should put the next worker upon citygrowth, thus no longer wasting a 4 turnsetler factory.
Old 31-08-2004, 09:53   #3
digger760
King

I have tried Online a couple of times and find it to rushed and very different style of play to PBEM. I prefer a more relaxed carefully planned afair.

digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 10:44   #4
Markstar
King

Even tough I prefer playing PBEM (more time to think about one's strategy), I hope I find at least some ppl to start online ladder games with after I'm done with my job (end of october).

PBEMs are great, but I'm just too addicted so I constantly think about them (only 2 atm but still...). I hope this will get better with online-gaming (and hopefully also a little more intense).
Markstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 12:19   #5
digger760
King

[quotePBEMs are great, but I'm just too addicted so I constantly think about them[/quote]

I used to have that problem...My wife would ask me what i was thinking about...if i told her it was Civ...she would ban me from the PC(she claims i spend to much time on it already...bah! not half as eveybody else here does!!)...so i'd have to make something up.

I played my first ladder game online vs PV..but ladder we swtiched to PBEM..but as i understand these days with C3C you can switch back to PBEM from online..never actually tried it though.
digger760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2004, 13:36   #6
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760

My wife would ask me what i was thinking about...
Don't you hate that question too?

But on topic, I have played with Col.Tarleton a lot, though we only finished one game. Now we're playing together with another Brit, who is not registered at CFC or CDZ. That game has a lot of fun!

I'm also planning to play with two brothers of mine. But one of them is moving as we speak, so first we'll have to wait till he has internet, and time.

And I have thought about having an eight player game (simultaneous) at CFC or CDZ, but haven't figured out what to do with people not able to come... It would have to be played at sunday evening only. Then practically everyone is ay home.
Old 31-08-2004, 13:56   #7
Shabbaman
Administrator

But on sunday evening I'm watching studio sport!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by digger760
I used to have that problem...My wife would ask me what i was thinking about...if i told her it was Civ...she would ban me from the PC(she claims i spend to much time on it already...bah! not half as eveybody else here does!!)...so i'd have to make something up
Hehehe...

I have the same thing with magic (a card game), which seems to be a program running in the background (of my mind) all the time. Hurray for multitasking! Luckily my GF doesn't consider it harmful.
What I especially like about civ is that you can play in your own tempo, unlike FPS or RTS where you have to react real time to your opponent. With multiplayer, you can still take your time, but social pressure would keep me playing on. With pbem, you've got more time. This gives you also the opportunity to carefully think about your moves. Through pbems, I've become a better player.

Old 31-08-2004, 15:23   #8
Matrix
Administrator

I don't really feel the pressure of having to hurry up when playing online. It simply depends on the size of your civ. Being big gives you the advantage of not having to wait for others. (Apart from the fact that you're winning too.)
Old 23-12-2004, 17:44   #9
LLXerxes

PBEM: 1 (failed)
MP: (too many to count) (failed)

i'll just play by meself or hotseat
MSN: mrmanakin@hotmail.com
YIM: llxerxes@yahoo.com
LLXerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2004, 19:43   #10
Matrix
Administrator

Just make sure you and your opponent(s) are aware of the commitment, LLXerxes. Especially when you have more than one opponents.