Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > ** Open thread forum **
Home

Old 13-05-2008, 00:18   #11
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

You could play simultaneous moves, but agree to move in turn once war is declared. It really works when you agree with all players that once someone wants to attack he silently waits until everybody else has moved, then declares war and makes his moves. The next turn the defender moves before the attacker (as he basically did the previous turn), as well as in all subsequent turns, until there's peace again.
IMHO that seems like forcing a turn-based approach on something that is not intended as such. It seems counter-intuitive to me.
Old 13-05-2008, 00:49   #12
Matrix
Administrator

"not intended"? Our intentions are our own. And it really sounds more complex than it is. The only use of playing turn based is for when you are at war, which is usually a small proportion of the time, so that makes it a huge waste of time.
Old 13-05-2008, 00:53   #13
Darkness

Quote:

"not intended"? Our intentions are our own. And it really sounds more complex than it is. The only use of playing turn based is for when you are at war, which is usually a small proportion of the time, so that makes it a huge waste of time.
I understand what you mean. It's just that our opinions differ here. Simultaneous moves (and also pitboss) are not turn-based (doesn't the name "simultaneous moves" sort of define that already?). I can't see any reason to divert from the basics of multiplayer CIV to make it more like PBEM or single player CIV.
Old 13-05-2008, 00:55   #14
mauer
King

So are yous guys gonna try and plan a CDZ session then? I'm really not into Civ here lately, but an online game sounds fun.
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 11:49   #15
Robi D
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Darkness

I've just played an online game (small map, 7 civs).
Fun game, until someone starts gaining an advantage. Then everyone just quits (except me and the score leader). Really annoying. It was actually a pretty nice game. Then the guy who had the advantage also quits... Why start a game when you don't want to finish it (after maybe an hour of play)...

Well, I guess this experience should teach me not to play online civ against people I don't know.

OK, thanks for listening to my silly frustrations.
I really did like the speed of the game though. Much faster in seeing your plans develop than pitboss.
That pretty much sums up my experiences. The only way to see a game through is to play with people you know or on a ladder. Both have their downsides, people you know may not be available to play when you are and some of those ladder guys take it way too seriously, but either of those is way better then people giving up when they start to fall behind

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 11:52   #16
Robi D
King

Quote:

I participated in that one too I think, BCLG100. I didn't like it, because we played simultaneous moves and a lot depended on who clicked faster. (And even when I knew I had to click fast, with the new turn a window popped up on what to build next. )
You can disable those, plus there is a number of options you can enable that are specific to online play like stack attack.

"We shall defend what is ours.
We shall never surrender" --Kosovo is Serbia!
Robi D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 18:14   #17
killercane
Prince

Quote:

I participated in that one too I think, BCLG100. I didn't like it, because we played simultaneous moves and a lot depended on who clicked faster. (And even when I knew I had to click fast, with the new turn a window popped up on what to build next. )
That one was semi fun. We even switched teams around when some had to leave. Mauer crushed everyone iirc.
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 00:12   #18
mauer
King

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by killercane
Mauer crushed everyone iirc.
I don't think I really crushed everyone. I killed someone early on, forgot who. From then on people kept jumping in and out of the game, musical chairs and all.
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote