Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > PBEM and Pitboss Games > KingReno's Forum
Home

Old 19-02-2004, 08:38   #111
Puwen

umm, he checked what they offered in gpt before accepting the trade?
Puwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2004, 09:52   #112
Skyfish

Super turns anarres !
Great stuff, this game is in the bag
I have never seen a diplo screen with everyone at war in the Middle Age I think...
Old 19-02-2004, 11:23   #113
anarres
anarchist butcher

heh. The diplo screen is even more crowded now, several more wars/MAs started since I took that pic.

My only regret is not having the balls to go straight for Cavs - it's a poor mistake, but I could never have guessed how well we would do against the Vikings...
Old 19-02-2004, 11:47   #114
Skyfish

...or easily get Horses...Unpredictable this stuff man...
Old 19-02-2004, 13:31   #115
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Impressive anarres, really good job!!! I'm getting more positive we might pull this off, especially if we can bring down the tech pace by keeping wars raging.
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2004, 01:55   #116
anarres
anarchist butcher

07 (210AD):

93.66*KB

The single Viking Musket in our territory is perfect for our new army. We kill it and I set the Hague to build the Herioc Epic.

AI: Zulu declare war on the Greeks.

08 (230AD): The Zulu will talk now, but they are no threat and our MA with India has plenty left to run.

09 (250AD): I move in the MI stack next to Risor. There are 16 MI and the MI Army:

113.87*KB

10 (270AD): The army kills 2 Muskets, then we lose 2 MI taking the city, defended by another 2 Muskets. After much thinking I decide to keep the city. I totally forgot to bring a settler with me.

139.93*KB

I can't stress this enough: We absolutely must starve Risor to size 1 as fast as possible (building workers or settlers whilst starving), becuase the Vikings have about 15 times more culture than us, and that margin is increasing exponentially. The chance of flip is about 0.5% per pop point, but the required garrison guarenteed to stop flips is very high at 40 per pop point. A 0.5% chance of flip is just about acceptable over a long number of turns, but right now the chance is almost exactly 6% and must be controlled.

heh. Sorry, I will stop the rant now, I've just seen so many reps trashed because of a 2% filp chance left too many turns...

Our MA against the Vikings with the Babs for another 10 turns. We are giving Iron for 15 turns to the Babs, which is also when our Horses run out with India.

Utrecht will (in 5 turns) be able to get 30 shields per turn (i.e. 1 horse). In 4 turns the Hague builds the Heroic Epic and that can also get 30 shields per turn. It is worth noting we now get 50 units free, and our 102 units is costing 104 gold. My rule of thumb is that the most you ever want to pay in unit costs is about 1 gold per unit, and without any more cities our costs are now at that limit and heading upwards fast.

I have left Chivalry so far, but soon we should buy it and upgrade horses soon. In 5 turns we can have built (I estimate) another 18 horses to add to the 8 we already have. I have done some sums, and we should be able to buy Chivalry and upgrade all 18 horses with about 400 gold to spare if we do it then.

Here is the diplo screen:

60.11*KB

It will be a close race between us and the Babs as to who gets Adab. We can get about 15 MI there in 2 turns, but if the babs move there in force this turn they can beat us. There has been lots of fighting just around that area over the last 10 turns, and the Babs have helped lots.

I guess the big question is what to do next? When Adab has fallen do we wait for our MA's run out to attack the Babs and aim towards horses (hopefully before they get Cavs), or shall we attack a weaker enemy like Spain? The Babs offer good land next to us, but they are powerful and could possible crush us if we are not extremely careful. Maybe we should just go for something really boring like another lux, but the lure of our own horses is great...
Old 20-02-2004, 02:04   #117
anarres
anarchist butcher

I just thought - maybe I am getting carried away. I had the turns over the GA, and although most the shields have gone in to Marketplaces and Courthouses I have been stockpiling gold at an amazing rate. When our GA ends (and if we go for Knights) we will be destitute, and our army will be costing a lot of money.

If we carry on building units but we don't attack someone soon, we are in deep financial trouble. Since there is nothing else left to build in many cities it seems we have little choice. We could always buy our way to banks and save money to steal our way in to the industrial age, but I think we should grab land now when we get Knights.
Old 20-02-2004, 08:55   #118
Skyfish

Well the idea to go on attacking ppl seems really crazy to me, but I dont know the situation...Why not wait for cavs ?
Old 20-02-2004, 10:47   #119
anarres
anarchist butcher

Too many units, too much cost...

Edit: Maybe attacking the Babs is over the top, but attacking Spain (for example) isn't out of the realms of possibility.
Old 20-02-2004, 21:32   #120
anarres
anarchist butcher

Playing order:

KR &lt;-- playing
PP &lt;-- on deck
Kemal
Sky
anar

Kingreno, you're up! Sky, I suggest you just pick up a turn if/when you get time, regardless of order.

Edit: Here is the save. Very embarassingly I had to uplaod at CFC because the uplaod here won't accept it.
Sid SG 260AD.Sav