Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Site Stuff > Off Topic
Home

Old 04-11-2008, 13:20   #21
Stapel
Emperor

Hmmm,
Some questions are assumptive and suggestive.
I'm all for more stem cell research, but should the investment of that come from federal taxes?

Anyway, despite thinking the Iraq war was indeed justified (though not by the reasons given by GWB) and despite thinking a fixed withdrawal timepath is just insane, I would trust Obama more and that issue than McCain. McCain has simply showed in the past he has a complete and utter non-understanding and extremely poor judgement on Iraq. He was wrong on about any Iraq-related issue.
Why so many US Voters regard McCain as more fit on the international diplomacy aspect, beats me.

More important than Iraq, is Iran imho. Of course the Free World needs to talk to Iran. I've never understood why that could be a problem......

The best reason, however, to vote for Obama is that he is a true intellectual with a broad vision that goes beyond daily issues. Quite refreshing. I'm halfway his first book (an autobiography when you are 33....) and it's very IMPRESSIVE!
The second best reason to vote for Obama is that people who pick Sarah Palin as running mate apparently lack the experience of life. 15 months ago, I would have picked McCain (above HRC mind you!) without even thinking. Surprisingly and disappointingly, he showed he is not even fit to run a kindergarten. Picking Palin...., get real man. What a bummer. What a complete lack of the number one responsibility of a POTUS: picking the riht people around you!

Stapel doesn't like cricket
Stapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 14:29   #22
Shabbaman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stapel View Post
Some questions are assumptive and suggestive.
That's the problem with every voting guide I've seen. Some questions (and answers) only make sense if you're very familiar with party politics. But if you are, you've very likely already made your choice. What should be queried is your opinion on the underlying theory that led a candidate/party to it's stance on a subject. That way a voting guide becomes a guide instead of a test.
Old 04-11-2008, 16:24   #23
killercane
Prince

Nader missed his calling. He should move to the Netherlands and be thoroughly loved and revered.
killercane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 16:29   #24
Shabbaman
Administrator

He'd be a rightwing conservatist here...
Old 04-11-2008, 17:13   #25
Matrix
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercane View Post
Nader missed his calling. He should move to the Netherlands and be thoroughly loved and revered.
It's not too late for you. He's still alive! (Though older than McCain! )
Old 04-11-2008, 23:41   #26
Socrates
Emperor

I do not think having an ex-military man as President is a good thing ever. Always have a guy with a cool head on top of the hotguns.
Old 05-11-2008, 00:04   #27
mauer
King

I think that voting for someone based on anything other than the issues (that are in alignment with yours) is ridiculous. Voting on emotion is silly.
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 00:20   #28
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauer View Post
I think that voting for someone based on anything other than the issues (that are in alignment with yours) is ridiculous. Voting on emotion is silly.
So you'd vote for a total nervous wreck, a guy who totally craps his pants at every opportunity - because he's right on the issues? Other qualities do not play ANY role at all?

Would you vote for a psychopath?
Old 05-11-2008, 00:26   #29
mauer
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Killer M View Post
So you'd vote for a total nervous wreck, a guy who totally craps his pants at every opportunity - because he's right on the issues? Other qualities do not play ANY role at all?

Would you vote for a psychopath?
Are you serious? I don't think there is a serious problem with my quote, unless you just want to have an argument on the ridiculous.
mauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 00:30   #30
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauer View Post
???? this post quite clearly and strongly suggests that voting based on character and personality, as well as health (including mental health), is ridiculous.

Any problems with how I read it? Or do you just intentionally ignore that I obviously use an extreme example to make my point that you should qualify your statement somewhat?