Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Civilization > General Discussion > Civ IV
Home

Old 23-01-2006, 17:42   #21
Matrix
Administrator

'course not, but I'm afraid people judge the game too soon, based on just one game e.g.. Civ4 is quite different than the older versions, with less discrete concepts and more concepts/systems working concurrently, making it altogether harder to grasp. We all knew Civ3 like the back of our head, but now we basically have to start all over again.

Indeed, Darkness, that takes time. However, you learn automatically. It doesn't cost much effort, just time. Or at least, the will to put effort into personal improvement will come automatically.
Old 23-01-2006, 23:43   #22
grahamiam
Emperor

I'm waiting for the patch situation to stabilize. However, the way Whomp and Tubby describe thier MP experience, I may try some pitboss games soon
grahamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 10:47   #23
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

'course not, but I'm afraid people judge the game too soon, based on just one game e.g.. Civ4 is quite different than the older versions, with less discrete concepts and more concepts/systems working concurrently, making it altogether harder to grasp. We all knew Civ3 like the back of our head, but now we basically have to start all over again.

Indeed, Darkness, that takes time. However, you learn automatically. It doesn't cost much effort, just time. Or at least, the will to put effort into personal improvement will come automatically.
Maybe I am judging the game too soon. I don't know. I've just played about 10 SP games so far. But that's how the game felt to me.

I guess I'll have a slow learning curve then, based on two PBEM's , considering I have no extra time at all (for the game anyway) until at least the end of february...
Old 24-01-2006, 17:25   #24
Matrix
Administrator

10 SP games?! That's quite a lot, actually...
Old 24-01-2006, 17:30   #25
Kemal

I was thinking the same thing... I've only managed to complete 5 full games myself since the game has been on the shelves. Then again, I've been known to be a somewhat slow player.
Old 24-01-2006, 17:30   #26
Darkness

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Matrix

10 SP games?! That's quite a lot, actually...
I kinda had a lot of free time in the first half of december...
They were mostly tiny map games though. I figured if the games were shorter, I'd get to play more different strategies. Never got past noble level though. Not because I thought I couldn't, but I just never felt like trying...
Old 24-01-2006, 17:37   #27
Kemal

I think part of the problem lies there already. After all, who'd play civ3 on chieftain 10 times and think it is a great game when there is no challenge in winning? (since you said you could handle noble pretty well. Give it a few shots on monarch, and perhaps you'll like the game after all?
Old 24-01-2006, 17:55   #28
Darkness

I played one game at warlord level, just to get to know the mechanics a bit. Then I moved up a bit. I think I played 6 or 7 games on noble, and I got all victory conditions at least once. After that, unfortunately, my interest in the game faded... Maybe I'll start a higher level SP game in march or so (if I can find the time... )

Besides, the PBEM's I am in are on prince and monarch level, so who knows? Maybe I'll like the challenge...
Then again (if you look at my spoiler for the ignition game), maybe not...
Old 24-01-2006, 19:11   #29
romeothemonk
King

I like civ4. I actually prefer it to C3C. It fits my play style much better.
I was able to jump in skipping over a lot of stuff and moving right on up to emporer.
Unfrotunately my oscillating war strats don't work so well on C4. I really like/hate the relations and trade screen. I like the fact that if you raze someones city, they just won't deal with you for dang near forever.
I still play some civ3, but that will end when my 2 current SG's are up.

Civ4 looks to be awesome for multiplayer, and I may have to try out pitboss once the latest patch comes in.
Old 25-01-2006, 12:02   #30
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kemal

Well, I'm definitely in the other camp than some of you as far as the level of intriguement the game offers is concerned, to me the game is far more exciting that the ever-repeating standard games that civ3 had to offer in SP. I also do not agree there are more bonuses for the AI (and yes, plenty of bonuses are present for it in civ4 I know), especially compared to sid level of civ3, and I most certainly do not agree that playing large immortal, (let alone deity!) maps is easier to win than any challenge civ3 had to offer (especially considering we're dealing with civ4 vanilla here).

But most of all, I think that continuing to compare everything the game has to offer with what civ3 used to do (thus staying inside the safe boundary of entertainment that people were used to see in a game of civ) is already starting off with a mindset of not being willing to appreciate what civ4 might have to offer. Nothing wrong with that as civ3 was truly a great game, however civ4 is much more complex, and I think the way the AI is able to handle these added complexities (and I do recognize there are lots of flaws to be found in the AI as well) deserves a big hats-off to those responsible.

Some people might always like civ3 better, after all still people are playing and declaring civ2 as the best game too... but whether it is easier to win or that civ3's AI was at the same level as civ4's AI is, in my opinion, greatly unjustified.
Especially agreeable part bolded by me.
And I more or less agree with the rest as well.