Civ Duel Zone  

Go Back   Civ Duel Zone > Succession Games and Team Games > SP challenges forum
Home

Old 08-10-2008, 20:27   #111
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Killer M View Post
'Just noble' means that getting dogpiled by Caesar (~30 Praetorians), Asoka (~50 elephants + support units) and Ghengis (~45 Keshik) can make you lose a culture win game.
By the time they are able to build that much, you ought to have infantry and then draft a couple of dozen and that should be sufficient.
Old 08-10-2008, 21:03   #112
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by akots View Post
By the time they are able to build that much, you ought to have infantry and then draft a couple of dozen and that should be sufficient.
:lol:

by the time they build that much even a good player may not have much more than Knights available - it is pretty arrogant to assume that your perfect playstyle also means that luck is automatically included.

How about a game in which stonehenge and great wall get built by AIs? Because I faced a barb invasion juet before finishing the wall...... you can get fucked hard on that map, akots - even you!
Old 08-10-2008, 21:17   #113
Pastorius
Custard used tile

Wow guys, with Matrix' work, this thread easily is as interesting to follow as trying to revive the old ladder (and except for Matrix doing a lot of calculations, this challenge takes less effort to maintain than the ol' ladder)

I need a new computer to enter into this one though. Also, I need sparetime. Perhaps in 2009...
Old 09-10-2008, 00:31   #114
Matrix
Administrator

I could try to automate this using PHP. But that's probably more work than manually entering the data myself.

@ProPain: I'm not saying I'll lose with Russia, but I can't imagine I'll ever get a higher score than my 67000 with Egypt.

But who knows. Currently I've captured the Egyptian Jewish holy city of Memphis, but Thebes just survived. I also tried to kill Ragnar quickly, but because Nidaros is on a hill I didn't have enough units and now need to wait till I have enough cats. I don't see how I could eliminate two opponents so soon as Killer said he did. I'm anxious to see your result on this one, Killer!

Last edited by Matrix; 09-10-2008 at 00:40.
Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:42   #115
akots
Nebuchadnezzar II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Killer M View Post
by the time they build that much even a good player may not have much more than Knights available - it is pretty arrogant to assume that your perfect playstyle also means that luck is automatically included.

How about a game in which stonehenge and great wall get built by AIs? Because I faced a barb invasion juet before finishing the wall...... you can get fucked hard on that map, akots - even you!
There is no luck involved here. And indeed, I've fought war elephants with infantry. India or China did not even have knights. This game is played for score and that is primary purpose and not for speed. You need to get your science going to obtain Biology and Communism, otherwise it can get very messy with all these captured cities. You need to build troops and not cash to get more land as well and would have to rely on Representation for research. And if you can get Biology and Communism, Infantry is just 3 techs away from those which takes about 7 turns.

I'd say that Stone is not needed unless you play Egypt or Native Americans. Great Wall though is absolutely required as well as Pyramids. You can certainly try to farm for Great Spy by building some early courthouse but it would be too slow. With an early GSpy you can steal some very important early techs to shave off a lot of unneeded research in a game without tech trading.

With barbarians, how can you get hit hard on Noble level? You've got bonus fighting them. A warrior easily defends against barb archer.

IMO, on Monarch level score would be much higher and victory time might be about the same except that more optimal development strategy has to be applied to ensure bigger technical gap. It would be probably not a good idea to start major war before getting to Cavalry.

As for the winning, this map does not have any danger of losing up to the Deity level. It certainly and quite reasonably can be won on Immortal level IMO.

Again repeating, I'm out of shape and have not played a single GOTM for more than a year. Well, when I played I almost always got into top 10 and sometimes sneaked a medal. But I'm not a very professional and committed player like Lexad, Obormot, Grey Cardinal, Dynamic, hhhawk, or Jeffa (these are mostly CFR/CRC guys). They put everything into spreadsheet and calculate stuff while knowing map features based on experience.

Last edited by akots; 09-10-2008 at 01:47.
akots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:42   #116
Lt. Killer M
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
But who knows. Currently I've captured the Egyptian Jewish holy city of Memphis, but Thebes just survived. I also tried to kill Ragnar quickly, but because Nidaros is on a hill I didn't have enough units and now need to wait till I have enough cats. I don't see how I could eliminate two opponents so soon as Killer said he did. I'm anxious to see your result on this one, Killer!
tough luck on Memphis! However, I would NOT attack Ragnar, because of the defense characteristics of his lands! Also, he tends to have archers soon.

Egypt, India, Rome - those are the ones you can expect to kill while they still have warriors defending.
Old 10-10-2008, 14:52   #117
Shabbaman
Administrator

This thread should be in the SP challenges forum. Any objections if I move it there? I think it has definately outgrown Matrix' forum.
Old 10-10-2008, 16:07   #118
ProPain
Customized Admin :)

Fine with me. Please give Matrix real mod powers for that forum as well then
ProPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 16:18   #119
Shabbaman
Administrator

I don't know if he wants to... he could mod the starting post anyway, so he wouldn't need to be an actual mod.
Old 10-10-2008, 16:31   #120
Matrix
Administrator

Indeed, I thank for that offer.
But go ahead and move it to there. I didn't think this would be such a success.